October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on the subject of Enoch Light's Project 3 label would love to see this whimsical album which was released in QUAD and performed by a very talented quartet. The album was produced by Enoch Light and the master was recorded on 35mm film. I have it on QR and believe me, it's discrete!

4ears I agree I have the SQ album its great and I always meant to get more of their music even in plain stereo.....

I’ll preface this by reiterating that I am all in for the 6 new DV releases.

Adam, you’re one of the jewels of the forum and I love the knowledge, insight and enthusiasm that you always generously offer. I do think, however, that you’re being a little hard on @person57. He’s in the surround hobby with the rest of us and he has a right to decide how he spends his finite supply of discretionary income. He is also happy for those of us who are thrilled with the announcement from DV. I would hate to see him walk away from this with a bad taste in his mouth or otherwise feel unwelcome here. I’m not looking to get into an argument here; I just believe that the guy deserves better. I’m sure that we all agree that you are free to like(and choose to pay for)the music that you like.
we're pretty much all on a discretionary income of sorts, aren't we!? 🤷🏻‍♀️

maybe some of us lack the fortitude and willpower to hold back! 🤔 mea culpa? you betcha! 😂 i readily prioritise music buying over just about anything else, even food shopping.. although my ever increasing waistline begs to differ!! 🤦‍♀️😊😅

there's no need for things to escalate or for anyone to be upset, i just won't be deterred from deriving great pleasure from these new CDs i've been hoping for, for so soooo long and well.. that's all i have to say about that! 🙏🤗

ok now i'm gonna load up the O'Jays.. time to "shoobeedoobeedoobeedoo!" and "make a joyful noise!!" 😂🥳 over and out! ✌️😉

Of course, but is there really any benefit to the practice of openly announcing you're not going to purchase something? Why not choose simply to disengage from the thread and leave the discussion to members who are interested in a particular title
Maybe there should be a disclaimer that if you are not buying these, don't post. ;) I think this forum is becoming a little hostile against the one of us that don't buy all of these old quads. There were nothing rude in my post, but still I was slammed down hard with to me unnecessary harsh language. I've had nothing but respect for @fredblue for his knowledge about everything about old quads, but everything has an end.

is there really any benefit to the practice of openly announcing you're not going to purchase
Agree, No benefit to me as a member of QQ.
But if someone can articulate why they don’t think a given title is for them,
Absolutely agree. A few times, I have had my finger on the BUY trigger, and have read a factual negative, and I didn't buy.

To be honest, my personal interpretation of not buying, is I read it as a tone of anger, and I do wonder, why not just say nothing?

Maybe there should be a disclaimer that if you are not buying these, don't post. ;) I think this forum is becoming a little hostile against the one of us that don't buy all of these old quads. There were nothing rude in my post, but still I was slammed down hard with to me unnecessary harsh language. I've had nothing but respect for @fredblue for his knowledge about everything about old quads, but everything has an end.
heyyy.... can we please let's not have a falling out? 🤗

i didn't mean to offend you and i'm sorry if you were affected by my ebullient tone! i get excited sometimes! 💦🥳

you know, i'm kinda trying to have fun with these dream discs that i've been hoping might be done by DV, or Sony, or somebody! someday!... and now they're unbelievably actually for real, well i'd like to just enjoy them without feeling like i unintentionally
hurt you in the process! can we do that? 🙏

woo!! woo!! 🚂😊🍻

package incoming from the Wizard Of Watford..!! 🤯🌈💘

5 Hybrid Multichannel SACD sets 💝🥳

Tony Mottola : "Tony & Strings" + "Close To You";
Enoch Light : "Beatles Classics" + "Serendipity",
Henry Mancini : "The Best Of", "The Best Of Volume 2", "The Concert Sound Of..", "Mancini Salutes Sousa",
The O'Jays : "Ship Ahoy", "Message In The Music" + "Live In London",
The Isley Brothers : "The Heat Is On" + "Harvest For The World"

View attachment 97143

View attachment 97144

View attachment 97145

View attachment 97146
Weren’t they just announced today?!
What sort of wizardry is this?! 🧙🏻‍♂️

just on a tangent (related, i promise!) do any of you good folks here know who controls the Project 3 catalogue these days? 👀
I would imagine UMG, Adam. BTW....here's a comprehensive list of all Project 3 QUAD titles:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm
_enoch.gif

Last edited:
Maybe these guys :unsure: -but it seems like, from Dave's lovely article long post 🤗, he should know the answer to that.

https://www.discogs.com/label/54749-Essex-Entertainment-Inc?sort=year&sort_order=asc

After several hops the Project 3 catalog is now owned by Naxos (whose name you can kind of make out at the bottom at the bottom of the back of the Tony Mottola and Enoch Light discs that @fredblue posted), a label that has some history of being surround-friendly dating back to the SACDs and DVD-As they released in the early-mid '00s.

After several hops the Project 3 catalog is now owned by Naxos (whose name you can kind of make out at the bottom at the bottom of the back of the Tony Mottola and Enoch Light discs that @fredblue posted), a label that has some history of being surround-friendly dating back to the SACDs and DVD-As they released in the early-mid '00s.
Dave, do you know if NAXOS has all or most of the Project 3 QUAD masters? Would love to see more released by D~V as future projects.

No interest in the soul/r&b discs (never ever have) but on the 15th i will be ordering the three easy listening disc. Yes I am an old fart, 78, who never cared for soul music.

I use to be a hard rock/rock fan but now give me the muszak I hated before.

Thank you DV for the choses!

Last edited:
Of course, but is there really any benefit to the practice of openly announcing you're not going to purchase something? Why not choose simply to disengage from the thread and leave the discussion to members who are interested in a particular title...
Maybe i should stay silent here, but I guess I just can't.

I wasn't aware these threads had to have any real benefit attached to them.

I've been waiting for the next batch of DV releases just like everyone else. I don't see the problem with saying I'm not a fan of the choices.

If this had been a batch of four prog albums, a different group of members would be happy about it, and yet another group would be disappointed. I don't see the harm in saying where you stand.

Dave, do you know if NAXOS has all or most of the Project 3 QUAD masters? Would love to see more released by D~V as future projects.

I can't really comment on what Naxos physically hold or don't hold because I'm not privy to their vaults, but it's my understanding that they own the rights to all the Project 3 material (possibly with the exception of the half-dozen Free Design albums, which I think may have reverted to the artist) so they should have all the extant physical assets in their possession.

I think it's safe to say that if these first two sell sufficiently you'll see more Project 3 from D-V as the four albums here represent the tip of the iceberg (and I don't mean the album of the same name) of the more than 50 albums worth of material the label released in quad (and who knows if there's more unreleased) between 1970 and Light's death in 1978.

I can't really comment on what Naxos physically hold or don't hold because I'm not privy to their vaults, but it's my understanding that they own the rights to all the Project 3 material (possibly with the exception of the half-dozen Free Design albums, which I think may have reverted to the artist) so they should have all the extant physical assets in their possession.

I think it's safe to say that if these first two sell sufficiently you'll see more Project 3 from D-V as the four albums here represent the tip of the iceberg (and I don't mean the album of the same name) of the more than 50 albums worth of material the label released in quad (and who knows if there's more unreleased) between 1970 and Light's death in 1978.
Dave, doing some sleuthing, The FREE DESIGN titles [6 in all] have reverted to él Records, a division of Cherry Red Records and those interested in pursuing their catalogue look no further as all 6 albums + rarities are contained in this magnificent RBCD Imported box set. Additionally, most of those FREE DESIGN records were produced by none other than Phil Ramone! Enoch Light did produce KITES ARE FUN.

https://www.amazon.com/Butterflies-...ee+design,popular,76&sr=1-1&tag=forumyield-20

Last edited:

I'll be in for all of them! I already have some of the Project 3/Enoch Light Quad LPs, and I may do a short list of titles I'd like to see over on the other thread. There was also a Tony Mottola Quad on another label IINM (i.e. ABC Command ?)

https://www.discogs.com/search/?type=all&artist=Tony+Mottola&format=QUADRAPHONIC

Back