October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, guys and gals!! 🤯🥳

wow 😳🤩

it's been worth the wait for this new DV batch because for me there's some really big news here!! 💘🤤🥰💝

1.) the Project 3 Quad mastertapes exist!! (including some of the finest examples of 4-corner mega discrete "knock you over the head" mixes you'll hear!!)

2.) The Isley Brothers "Heat Is On" long-rumoured and Previously Unreleased (!) on disc Quad exists in the vaults after all and here it is from the never before seen or heard SQ Quad mastertapes!!!

3.) we're getting The Isley's "Harvest For The World" (what an album!!) in discrete Quad disc form for the first time ever!!

4.) and a reissue of The O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" Quad! a stunning Soul album and Quad mix, of which the very rare old SACD (now 20 years out of print!) regularly goes for silly money!!

5.) the first discrete Quad disc release of The O'Jays "Message In The Music", for me one of the CBS stable of labels' finest hours in Quad with a most accomplished and very modern-sounding mix (the Live album is not your typical ambient style mix either, it has lots of separation!)

6.) tons of fun Henry Mancini Quad mixes!! the Sousa disc alone is a hoot! i used to love that one on CD-4! woosh!!! zoom!!! umm... WHIZZBANG!!!

instant buy of the whole floomin' lot 😎😍✌️
You can thank me & my luck for the “Ship Ahoy” reappearance.. since I recently paid “silly money” for the old SACD…so naturally it appears now at a reasonable price 🤑

While we're on the subject of Enoch Light's Project 3 label would love to see this whimsical album which was released in QUAD and performed by a very talented quartet. The album was produced by Enoch Light and the master was recorded on 35mm film. I have it on QR and believe me, it's discrete!

Last edited:
woo!! woo!! 🚂😊🍻

package incoming from the Wizard Of Watford..!! 🤯🌈💘

5 Hybrid Multichannel SACD sets 💝🥳

Tony Mottola : "Tony & Strings" + "Close To You";
Enoch Light : "Beatles Classics" + "Serendipity",
Henry Mancini : "The Best Of", "The Best Of Volume 2", "The Concert Sound Of..", "Mancini Salutes Sousa",
The O'Jays : "Ship Ahoy", "Message In The Music" + "Live In London",
The Isley Brothers : "The Heat Is On" + "Harvest For The World"

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1994.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW, for U.S. buyers, the classical (yes, classical) retailer Europadisc sells all Dutton Vocalion releases for a buck or two cheaper than D-V itself. For example, I put the REO Speedwagon and a Percy Faith SACD (New Thing) in both company's carts. D-V was $42.44 shipped to the States for both releases; Europadisc was $39.01. On top of that, Europadisc has regular sales that might occasionally include D-V releases. The upcoming releases aren't listed yet from Europadisc, but they carry every D-V release so I imagine that it's just a matter of time.

woo!! woo!! 🚂😊🍻

package incoming from the Wizard Of Watford..!! 🤯🌈💘

5 Hybrid Multichannel SACD sets 💝🥳

Tony Mottola : "Tony & Strings" + "Close To You",
Enoch Light : "Beatles Classics" + "Serendipity",
The O'Jays : "Ship Ahoy", "Message In The Music" + "Live In London",
The Isley Brothers : "The Heat Is On" + "Harvest For The World"

View attachment 97143

View attachment 97144

View attachment 97145

View attachment 97146
Damn! That was FAST! Makes me wanna move to London! Can't wait to hear what you have to say about those five beauties! Enjoy your day of listening!!!
P.s. add that Mancini release to your list!

Nice to see D-V delivers again, nothing here for me, but good for those of you who like this music. :)

I agree. I'm really happy to see DV release these, and hear from all of you who enjoy it. But as for me, I have no interest in 70's soul or pop string arrangement. Maybe the next lot will include some rock for the rest of us.

I might add that you can preview both albums by The Isley Brothers in quad via Apple streaming:
i promise you're never ever going to want or need to listen to that Dolby Audio/360 RA rendition of "Heat Is On".

no hype whatsoever, whatever DV have done is nothing short of miraculous. it's as discrete as any 4-channel tape.

WOW. just... WOW.

Damn! That was FAST! Makes me wanna move to London! Can't wait to hear what you have to say about those five beauties! Enjoy your day of listening!!!
P.s. add that Mancini release to your list!
well it all kinda evens itself out with releases in your part of the world my dear Clement 🤗 after all, the Wizard is just down the road as the crow flies so Postie can usually get DV's goodies chez moi nice and speedily 🤩🥰

..and on the subject of things being prompt, thank you for the Mancini oversight prompt!! i'm such an overexcitable silly billy! 💘😍

well it all kinda evens itself out with releases in your part of the world my dear Clement 🤗 after all, the Wizard is just down the road as the crow flies so Postie can usually get DV's goodies chez moi nice and speedily 🤩🥰

..and on the subject of things being prompt, thank you for the Mancini oversight prompt!! i'm such an overexcitable silly billy! 💘😍
I actually pictured you excitedly typing away, forgetting the Mancini! I SO appreciate all of your screenshots and your enthusiasm! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Nice to see D-V delivers again, nothing here for me, but good for those of you who like this music. :)

i've longed and hoped to hear these Isley Brothers albums in Surround Sound and in this kind of quality for decades, so i'm totally not rising to your usual blather about "not being interested but happy for the rest of us" because while you may not care about this new set of releases let me tell you i am enthralled 😍

you find me currently welling up with literal tears of joy as i marvel at the beautiful Quadraphonic sound of this superb new rendition of "The Heat Is On" and "Harvest For The World".

any reservations i may have had about "Heat Is On" being from an SQ encoded source rather than 4-channel tape were not even worth considering, i've no idea what Mr. Dutton's decoding method is but it is second to none and the finest i've heard - and no way was it just run through a box like the Surround Master, sorry Involve i love you guys and what you do but for my money the separation achieved on this SACD is just too good to be the SM.

moreover, the Surround soundfield is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 Reality Audio streaming offering in terms of separation, levels of detail, focus and clarity and lacks the woolyness and distortion on vocals, overblown Bass and tizzy sibilance of percussion elements on the streaming Version; put simply overall the new SACD mastering quality is impeccable - and i haven't even mentioned how fantastic the Quad of "Harvest For The World" sounds - well it does, it's an out and out delight!!! 🥰

if i could give the disc a "100" out of "10" in a QQ Poll, i would. in fact i may just do that when the time comes! 💪😎👍

I agree. I'm really happy to see DV release these, and hear from all of you who enjoy it. But as for me, I have no interest in 70's soul or pop string arrangement. Maybe the next lot will include some rock for the rest of us.
i'm hopeful there'll be something for you from the Watford Wiz down the line 🙂🤞

it sounds like they have a bit of a post-pandemic backlog of Quads they originally wanted to get out to us a year or two ago, so maybe there's some Rock goodies on the way as well that have similarly been held up 🙏

I actually pictured you excitedly typing away, forgetting the Mancini! I SO appreciate all of your screenshots and your enthusiasm! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

haha.. you know me so well..! 😉😍🍻 fwiw i just got back from a wee seaside sojourn with the otter half 🤗💞 and i ordered these new DV discs and was posting excitedly here on the forum about the news all from my phone on the train home yesterday! 🚂🥳😅🤣 now i'm back in my shagpad shoebox and playing with myself, i mean playing with the discs, with the lights down low and a beverage in hand 🥳💦🤩

a hearty heartfelt cheers to you and all the good people of QQ, these are good times baby, let's live it up and lap it up!! 💝😋💘

i've longed and hoped to hear these Isley Brothers albums in Surround Sound and in this kind of quality for decades, so i'm totally not rising to your usual blather about "not being interested but happy for the rest of us" because while you may not care about this new set of releases let me tell you i am enthralled 😍

you find me currently welling up with literal tears of joy as i marvel at the beautiful Quadraphonic sound of this superb new rendition of "The Heat Is On" and "Harvest For The World".

any reservations i may have had about "Heat Is On" being from an SQ encoded source rather than 4-channel tape were not even worth considering, i've no idea what Mr. Dutton's decoding method is but it is second to none and the finest i've heard - and no way was it just run through a box like the Surround Master, sorry Involve i love you guys and what you do but for my money the separation achieved on this SACD is just too good to be the SM.

moreover, the Surround soundfield is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 Reality Audio streaming offering in terms of separation, levels of detail, focus and clarity and lacks the woolyness and distortion on vocals, overblown Bass and tizzy sibilance of percussion elements on the streaming Version; put simply overall the new SACD mastering quality is impeccable - and i haven't even mentioned how fantastic the Quad of "Harvest For The World" sounds - well it does, it's an out and out delight!!! 🥰

if i could give the disc a "100" out of "10" in a QQ Poll, i would. in fact i may just do that when the time comes! 💪😎👍
I’ll preface this by reiterating that I am all in for the 6 new DV releases.

Adam, you’re one of the jewels of the forum and I love the knowledge, insight and enthusiasm that you always generously offer. I do think, however, that you’re being a little hard on @person57. He’s in the surround hobby with the rest of us and he has a right to decide how he spends his finite supply of discretionary income. He is also happy for those of us who are thrilled with the announcement from DV. I would hate to see him walk away from this with a bad taste in his mouth or otherwise feel unwelcome here. I’m not looking to get into an argument here; I just believe that the guy deserves better. I’m sure that we all agree that you are free to like(and choose to pay for)the music that you like.

Last edited:
I’m sure that we all agree that you are free to like(and choose to pay for)the music that you like.
Of course, but is there really any benefit to the practice of openly announcing you're not going to purchase something? Why not choose simply to disengage from the thread and leave the discussion to members who are interested in a particular title...

Of course, but is there really any benefit to the practice of openly announcing you're not going to purchase something? Why not choose simply to disengage from the thread and leave the discussion to members who are interested in a particular title...
Like a lot of things, I think it depends.

If it’s just a simple “Pass” (which I’ve been guilty of and need to work on) then I generally agree with you.

But if someone can articulate why they don’t think a given title is for them, and be open to feedback that actually helps them see it in a new light, then I’m all for it. This would probably be more for titles or genres someone isn’t familiar with.

There have been some things I was going to pass on and publicly said so... but then people started telling me how amazing it is and why. So sometimes I take a chance based on that feedback and find, more often than not, they were right.

I can appreciate that’s probably not the way it most often happens here, but I like to leave the door open for an exchange of ideas if one is truly willing to hear about someone’s passion for a title that might address someone’s non-passionate feelings, and be a benefit to others who are quietly passing on it.

Could be totally wrong (naive?) on that, though.

Back on the main topic... I think Mancini and Mottola are definitely going in the cart. The others may need to wait. Credit card took a big hit with the new receiver and other music-related purchases.

Thanks for the list Adam
The only one I dont have is Love Crazy

The Main Ingredient Euphrates River that is so smooth I played it a lot upon receipt and it time to take it out again for replay......if I only I didnt have Whos Next, Space Ritual, The Big Express and so many others to get through. I need to use more sick time for work to stay home and listen....

Back