Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine what this player offers at almost 6x the cost of a new Sony X800M2 for $300?
I'm sure the Panasonic 9000 is also a high quality player but since it doesn't play SACD or DVD-A that knocks it off the buy list IMO.
Build quality for one thing.

Build quality for one thing.
I could buy into that but as it is the Sony weighs 8 1/2 and has the smoothest, most quiet transport I've experienced and appears to be built like a tank. I still cant imagine what makes it
worth 6x more expensive when it won't off deliver one bit superior audio or video performance.
YMMV

What are the DVD and Blu Ray multi region options on Magnetar vs Sony X800M2? Sony probably make it very difficult, that's their corporate culture. Oppo made it as easy as they could while keeping their licences. I have no idea where Magnetar sit. Maybe in the US this is irrelevant, but with the vagaries of what is and is not released in the UK it's important to me to have a multi region player.

I could buy into that but as it is the Sony weighs 8 1/2 and has the smoothest, most quiet transport I've experienced and appears to be built like a tank. I still cant imagine what makes it
worth 6x more expensive when it won't off deliver one bit superior audio or video performance.
YMMV
If you look closely at the remote there is a “happy ending” button. 😉

I hope I have bought my last disc player. I don't care how super duper any of them are these days, I don't need much. I have machines that between them play everything but 4K, which I don't care as I can do that from the pc. Four of mine play burned SACD/DVDA. (I occasionally author both so like to verify with a burned disc) Three are network capable. Three are Blu Ray players. Two will play 3D. Two will rip SACD. One is jailbroke and will play anything off my network just as if sticking a disc in the drawer.
99.1% of playback is from the pc anyway. I fire the disc players up once in a while to make sure they work.

I'm 58 and I don't do PC playback, it's all from real disc players. While I hope my Oppo 95 and two Oppo 203s will last to the end of my days, I'm not hopeful. Ball park I want another 30 years out of them and that's a lot to ask even if they were brand new, which they're not.

YMMV
I have heard others say it's not so quiet. Guess it depends on the build one gets. BTW, I believe the Magnetar is around 17 pounds.

I'm 58 and I don't do PC playback, it's all from real disc players. While I hope my Oppo 95 and two Oppo 203s will last to the end of my days, I'm not hopeful. Ball park I want another 30 years out of them and that's a lot to ask even if they were brand new, which they're not.
Ach. You young people. Do you think "real" disc players offer better playback? If the same signal travels via HDMI to your AVR, then....what? Of course if you're of a mind that all analog is better, then that's another conversation.
I am of course fooling with you Owen!
Well, sort of. I'm in my 70's, so....liberties attached. lol.

Ach. You young people. Do you think "real" disc players offer better playback? If the same signal travels via HDMI to your AVR, then....what? Of course if you're of a mind that all analog is better, then that's another conversation.
I am of course fooling with you Owen!
Well, sort of. I'm in my 70's, so....liberties attached. lol.
It's actually that a) I can't be bothered ripping my discs, and b) I don't want a computer in the lounge connected to my AV system. All my playback is over HDMI, no "analogue is better" confusion here. My Oppo 95 was bought to go with a pre HDMI amp, now I have the 95 in the system because it can play SACD-R and iso images from USB stick or hard disc. I also have it set for blu ray region A playback. The 203 in use is set for blu ray region B, and it does gapless playback of FLAC from USB stick or hard disc.

You already have at least 2, They're inside your Oppos. :p
There's also a computer in each of the two Freeview HD PVRs, at least one (it's probably multi CPU) in my Arcam AVR31, at least one in the TV, and a couple of micro controllers in the 1999 era S-VHS VCR with digital picture processing. Plus the micro controllers in all the remote controls.

I don't know where you are getting your info from but these are the 105s specs

Specs
BD-Live: Yes, 1 GB internal storage
BonusView: Yes, 1 GB internal storage
Firmware Version: BDP10X-38-1220
3D: Yes
Audio Decoding:
Dolby: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
DTS: DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio
Other: 7.1 PCM up to 192/24, 5.1 DSD
HDMI Video Resolutions:
480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/ 1080p/1080p24, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24, 4K x 2K

In addition, if it did down sample, why would it go to 88.2 instead of 96 kHz? 88.2kHz is the typical DSD to PCM conversion sample rate.
Sorry, I am just seeing this response. My information comes from brief ownership. I should have qualified my statement. On the.Oppo machines, It downgrades DSD to PCM 88.2. However, on the Sony players It downgrades DSD to PCM 176.4. My earlier statement on this matter should mentioned this is only for DSD and surround.

I don't know but I have never heard analog outs on a player that beats the D/A converter in a processor.
The DAC in the 205 is an excellent one and returned some of the best measurements tested at Audio Science Review. So it is possible that using the 205s DAC and analog outs you might get a better sounding result. Most of the AVR's we tested did not return DAC results near the 205s.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/#post-87675
OTOH, the 105 revealed some problems that couldn't be backed up with testing of a second unit.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-oppo-bdp-105-blu-ray-player.2421/
Recent AVRs have shown big improvements over the last couple years. Funny how things seem to improve when someone is actually watching the cook.
So using a 205 in a system that can utilize the analog outs appears to be a good one but almost no AVR's offer analog in any more and in these days of Atmos, etc; this is all pretty much obsolete tech.

Recent AVRs have shown big improvements over the last couple years. Funny how things seem to improve when someone is actually watching the cook.
Audio Science Review tests of the DACs in current Arcam AVRs showed pretty poor results. Arcam took notice and said "ah, we have it configured wrong" and claim to have fixed it in a firmware updare. But ASR have not re-tested, so we really have no idea where the current Arcam AVRs stand with current firmware. As the owner of an Arcam AVR31 I'm interested, though it sounds fantastic and test results wouldn't change my view of that.

Latest posts

Back