Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Best Buy not long ago and it seems that Magnolia is no more. They have "Premium" audio/video. From what I can gather from the web, each store may have different levels of service. It seems they have Premium Home Theater or Premium Design Center.
I was wondering so I picked through their website. Indeed the "Magnolia" in store experience has been removed and/or rebranded as you describe. I haven't wandered any of the local Best Buys here in Vegas in quite a while, but they all seem to have the 'premium home theater' experience listed on the store finder. I'll report back if I can stop by one in the near future.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/store-locator?storeServices=premium-design-center,premium-home-theater

My Oppo 105 is my primary source, and if it dies, so will I. I hope the factory support team lasts longer than the deck.
I'm kind of secretly hoping my 203 needs repair so I can ship back to Oppo for servicing and have a freshly refurbished machine.

When I had to send my 83 in for repair I got it back with a new disc tray unit, a complete cleaning, firmware check, and a general once over for like $75 shipped.

Still hanging in with the Oppo 205 but it's been modified to play image files--of which I have a ton from all my backed up SACDs and DVDAs. Considering its from 2017, I'm now finding some files that it can't play...although its still the best player out there for me because it's the only one that had the foresight to include a critical HDMI in. I actually talked to Magnetar and pleaded with them to add this to their 900 when I saw it wasn't available the 800 but they did not do it :( With my superb sounding all-analog system (see profile), that's my only way to get a digital component connected in!

BTW: as I try to possibly offshoot a more modern DAC from the 205, I've been talking a bit to Oppo and I did ask them is there any chance they could come back now that physical media is starting to make a return again. Unfortunately they pretty much 100% shot that down sadly. FYI: If you want to see just how "inferior" streaming versions are you can find m4a files that equate to the Apple Atmos streaming versions (in 5.1) and they're only about 400mb in size. Whereas the disk versions are about 10GB or so. And you wonder why they sound so much better...

I have 3 Oppo's and a Sony in the audio room. The Sony I bought as a backup for the 103 for ripping as it was dirt cheap on EvilBay. The 3 Oppo's will play burned DVDA or SACD. The 103 is jailbroke, which is nice because it will play .iso off the network mostly when I want to see the images on the DVDA discs instead of playing in Foobar.

But I keep them plugged in and periodically use them to "keep them going". I had one that the disc drawer would not open until it had been plugged in a day or so but works fine now. So, leaving them in a box in the closet I'm thinking might not be a viable strategy? I have no clue but the argument is some components like to see some power, sort of like batteries or they degrade faster.

When I finally sit down in the evening for music listening, I like to be able to catch up on emails, QQ, etc so I mostly use software players like Jriver and PowerDVD.

So I've decided I'm not buying any more disc players. However if the Oppo 103 quits and I can get it repaired, I will send it off to the good folks in Menlo Park.
I mean I hope I'm still around a few years, but I don't see buying any more at this point.
i also have 3 Oppo's - 80, 93 and a recently acquired 103 plus the Sony X800M2 plus another cheap Panasonic that plays 3D. i try to rotate them. right now the 103 is the favorite because not only is it the newest latest greatest but because it has an HDMI in where i can plug in a Roku.

Well...m4a for one according to my test tracks...and I have some kind of audio format embedded in an MKV file that it won't play. I definitely seen "can't play this file" crop up more than I used to. I'm just hoping they finally make a decent player with HDMI input because it seems a no-brainer. But also going by the way of the dodo is multi-channel analog out which I also need.

But it plays DVD-Audio & SACD images and even J River can't do those (DVDA). I love hearing that satisfying click when they lock in :)

Without the Oppo, I couldn't get high-res audio in from an Apple TV or an Android box or even a game console... So it's absolutely invaluable to me and I don't know what I'm going to do if it crashes.

BTW: as I try to possibly offshoot a more modern DAC from the 205, I've been talking a bit to Oppo and I did ask them is there any chance they could come back now that physical media is starting to make a return again. Unfortunately they pretty much 100% shot that down sadly.
It's got nothing to do with optical media sales. The issue is production line capacity in the Oppo factories in China, they can make more profit using the capacity to make mobile phones than they can blu ray players. Originally Oppo had spare manufacturing capacity, Oppo Digital (the DVD and blu ray player division) was partly set up to use that capacity.

I love hearing that satisfying click when they lock in
The clicking of the relays on my Oppo 95 is immensely annoying to me, especially since it does it every time I play any file or move to a different thing like an extra on an optical disc. I was very pleased when I got an Oppo 203 to discover it doesn't do any of the damned clicking!

The clicking of the relays on my Oppo 95 is immensely annoying to me, especially since it does it every time I play any file or move to a different thing

I'm not sure what causes that, but if it clicks to output analog audio the quality the 205 does, I don't care if it makes a clown horn sound every time :)

I don't think people ever really understood that unless you have I need for multi-channel analog outputs (like i absolutely do), you're better off just getting the 203. They sound exactly the same using HDMI...

I don't think people ever really understood that unless you have I need for multi-channel analog outputs (like i absolutely do), you're better off just getting the 203. They sound exactly the same using HDMI...
I understood that entirely. I stuck with my 95 while I needed multi channel analogue outputs because I missed the boat for a new 205 and couldn't justify the price of them second hand. But when my non HDMI AVR died and I bought one that handles all the HDMI audio formats, I immediately bought two decent condition second hand 203s (one as a spare).

I kept my 95 as well as a spare for SACD and DVD-A playback. It's actually in my system along with the 203, the 95 is for SACD-R and HDCD playback which the 203 won't do (or at least not fully for HDCD). The 95 is also set to blu ray region A whereas the 203 is set to region B, so I can play all my discs without having to go through the not simple sequence of button presses to change blu ray regions.

Could you share those instructions????
If you're handy, just remove the cabinet from the chassis. Then remove the laser cover and clean the laser. I just use 91% or > strength isopropyl with a cotton ball and finish off with a dry cotton ball or soft cotton cloth. No need to apply any pressure and probably best not to use anything that could scratch like cloth with synthetic threads in it.
Then reassemble and you're done.

I get relays clicking on my AVR. I'm just used to it I guess. Never noticed it on any of the disc players.
The relays on my Onkyo TX-RZ50 can make a noticeable clicking sound from time to time. I know it means the receiver is actually doing what it's supposed to do, but it can be slightly annoying if I concentrate on it. However, I have never heard anything like that coming from either of my two OPPO players (UDP-203, BDP-103.) My only regret with OPPO is that I was on the waiting list for their final batch of UDP-205's to come off the assembly line but they were all gone before they got to me.

The relays on my Onkyo TX-RZ50 can make a noticeable clicking sound from time to time. I know it means the receiver is actually doing what it's supposed to do, but it can be slightly annoying if I concentrate on it. However, I have never heard anything like that coming from either of my two OPPO players (UDP-203, BDP-103.) My only regret with OPPO is that I was on the waiting list for their final batch of UDP-205's to come off the assembly line but they were all gone before they got to me.
Yes. I have the TX-RZ50 as well. Although all the disc players go hdmi directly to the AVR, I input my pc's via hdmi into a switch, then into the AVR. I think every time I switch the input source on the switch, I get the relay click. Can't say it really bothers me. Slow hdmi handshake with my monitor gets on my nerve though.

Could you share those instructions????
sure, here you go:

Instead of using a lens cleaning disc, have you tried cleaning the laser to see if it'll help? Here are the instructions on how to do so:

Remove the screws on the side (two on each side) and back of the player (5 screws). Remove the top cover of the player by lifting up and pulling the cover away from the player.

When you remove the top cover you will see the loader. The loader has four to six small screws (2 or 3 on each side) which need to be removed. Once removed you can now safely remove the top of the loader and gain access to the servo.

Now clean the laser head surface with a cotton swab and alcohol. Also clean the rubber spindle on the servo to make sure there is no hair or lint which can make the discs load off center.

Reverse the steps to put the player back together.
Now play a disc and see if the same errors persist.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025

sure, here you go:

Instead of using a lens cleaning disc, have you tried cleaning the laser to see if it'll help? Here are the instructions on how to do so:

Remove the screws on the side (two on each side) and back of the player (5 screws). Remove the top cover of the player by lifting up and pulling the cover away from the player.

When you remove the top cover you will see the loader. The loader has four to six small screws (2 or 3 on each side) which need to be removed. Once removed you can now safely remove the top of the loader and gain access to the servo.

Now clean the laser head surface with a cotton swab and alcohol. Also clean the rubber spindle on the servo to make sure there is no hair or lint which can make the discs load off center.

Reverse the steps to put the player back together.
Now play a disc and see if the same errors persist.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Looks like they are all dying at the same time. I had the same problem with my BDP93 and got the same info from Oppo. Unfortunately it didn't work for me, but it's worth a try. I sent it for repair and Oppo replaced the disc loader. Now waiting to get it back.

Back