Oppo UDP-203 dilemma

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid I don't take advantage of all its features. I only generally use it as a disc player. It turns on but the tray does not open, but I am able to play music on a USB stick through it.
The tray on my 203 sometimes sticks (probably due to lack of use). Have you tried playing video files via a USB thumb drive?

If your primary requirement is playing discs I wouldn't recommend the Reavon. Not only has the manufacturer abandoned it, the disc drive can be noisy. You would be better off buying the Sony UBP-X800M2.

Sony and Panasonic all have some limitation on what type of discs they will play, typically one or both of SACD or DVD-A. None of them not even Reavon or Magnetar have an HDMI input, if you use that (which I do on my 203) you need an Oppo.
The Sony plays both DVD-A and SACD. It just won't play burned DVD-As.

I would definitely trust the Oppo repair guys in California, but:
I have a suggestion you may/may not like as far as the corrosion.
Kill the power, unplug it. Press the power button a few times: might help drain any residual power.
Remove the circuit boards and hose them down in electrical contact cleaner. For that matter you could hose everything down with WD40 to get all the crap out, then use the contact cleaner.

I've done this with video cards and a Sherwood AVR I've had a long time, and is still in use to this day.

It's not as if you have a lot to lose trying to clean the crap out of this player, apart from your time and cans of WD40 or contact cleaner.
I know. I'm not going to take a crap shoot and repair it so I may as well try. I have some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner that is supposed to work miracles, but I haven't used it yet. May give it a shot tomorrow.

I know. I'm not going to take a crap shoot and repair it so I may as well try. I have some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner that is supposed to work miracles, but I haven't used it yet. May give it a shot tomorrow.
The reason I suggested using the WD40 first is it's cheaper. If you have some it would work for hosing out everything, then you can follow up with the contact cleaner. I mean if you like.

The reason I suggested using the WD40 first is it's cheaper. If you have some it would work for hosing out everything, then you can follow up with the contact cleaner. I mean if you like.
WD40 is a solvent not a lubricant like some people think. It's great for cleaning things out, but best to use something else afterwards to get the aggressive WD40 off. In this case contact cleaner.

Back