Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good link, Sal. From that:
"In the May issue of the British UNCUT magazine, Peter Gabriel gives some insights into his plans. Besides another track being mentioned (Four Kinds Of Horses) it's notable that Gabriel has more tracks for his full moon releases than will end up on the record. The process of full moon releases will last throughout the year. The conclusion is that the album won't be released before the tracks have been released via the full moon updates. Peter also indicates that he might continue in 2024 with additional tracks that won't be on i/o.
other than that - we learn the Love Can Heal, played live in 2016, will be on i/o, but Why Don't You Show Yourself (played live 2012-2014) won't. More details here."

Is it true that only six songs have been released, and only two of those are in Atmos? That's all I've found, and it's hard to get excited about that. I really hope I'm wrong.

Is it true that only six songs have been released, and only two of those are in Atmos? That's all I've found, and it's hard to get excited about that. I really hope I'm wrong.
Five songs out so far ("Panopticom", "The Court". "Playing For Time", "I/O", and "Four Kinds Of Horses"), four of them are streaming in Atmos. The Atmos mixes usually become available two weeks after the initial release. I can't imagine them not following the same pattern for all tracks going forward.

Five songs out so far ("Panopticom", "The Court". "Playing For Time", "I/O", and "Four Kinds Of Horses"), four of them are streaming in Atmos. The Atmos mixes usually become available two weeks after the initial release. I can't imagine them not following the same pattern for all tracks going forward.
Okay, I counted "Panopticom" twice, but the only songs that play in Atmos for me are the ones with "In-Side" mixes. Does anyone else experience this?
1683833611052.png

Okay, I counted "Panopticom" twice, but the only songs that play in Atmos for me are the ones with "In-Side" mixes. Does anyone else experience this?
View attachment 91429
Each song will be released with 3 different mixes. Bright side or dark side mixes are released with the full moon, then followed by the in-side mix plus either dark or bright side with the new moon. In-side mix is just the name of the Atmos mix. We'll get Four Kind of Horses in Atmos on May 19th

View attachment 91429
"Panopticom", "The Court". "Playing For Time", and “I/O" are all available as ‘In-Side’ mixes for me on Apple Music. Not sure why they aren’t appearing for you.

Each song will be released with 3 different mixes. Bright side or dark side mixes are released with the full moon, then followed by the in-side mix plus either dark or bright side with the new moon. In-side mix is just the name of the Atmos mix. We'll get Four Kind of Horses in Atmos on May 19th
🤯
🤯🤯🤯🤯🤪

Excerpt from the uncut interview (conducted sometime before Feb 13, as he turned 73 then):
"...A successful musician, with no traditional record company and unlimited studio time either at home or his Real World base, Gabriel is not mandated to create by anybody. If anything, he is now cosmically bound by the cycles of the moon. Gabriel is embarking on his latest adventure – a grand scheme to release a new track on each full moon, which will culminate later this year with the release of i/o, his first album of new music for 21 years.

As it transpires, Gabriel has other ideas percolating. “If I have the stamina, I may just keep going,” he says. “I’m an awkward sod. I like doing things differently, if I can. I’m 72. At this point, it doesn’t matter what other people say. I listen, still, to people who I think are wise and smart and have good taste. Generally, though, I’ll end up doing what I think will be either fun or interesting.”

Why choose “Panopticom” as the first single? How does it set the scene for i/o?
It was cooking nicely and I thought that it might make a good candidate for opening things up, but I don’t think it indicates a style for the rest of the record. To my ears, the record sounds very different track by track. Obviously, from the inside, it always looks more different than from the outside, but I think some styles feel more futuristic, some retro and some textural… The album’s got quite a lot of different colours. There’s four or five up-tempo songs. It depends on what ends up being chosen for the album. There’s still quite a few question marks. But I may just keep going. That’s another thought!

You mean keep releasing new music every full moon?
Yeah, month by month. There’s going to be a surplus. There are some other songs that have been started. Then there were a couple that got released in the interim period. There was a track for [Oliver Stone’s 2016 biopic] Snowden called “The Veil”. There was another one, “Why Don’t You Show Yourself”, for a film about religion and atheism called Words With Gods. Nothing happened with those tracks, so it’d be quite nice to stick those on a record at some point. But there’s probably 20 or so new things. So I’ll see where we get to with those. If I have the stamina, I may just keep going…
https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/i-may-just-keep-going-peter-gabriel-interviewed-142012/

"Panopticom", "The Court". "Playing For Time", and “I/O" are all available as ‘In-Side’ mixes for me on Apple Music. Not sure why they aren’t appearing for you.
This type of anomaly is my only beef with Apple Music. I wonder if there is some way to access all the Atmos mixes besides searching for "Peter Gabriel".

Yep, I wish is there was a switchable flag that could be set to list "Spatial albums-songs Only" in the library
What I don't get is why all four of those in-side mixes appear for some people (I presume after searching for "Peter Gabriel"), but not for me, when I do the same. I even restarted my Apple TV 4K to see if that would help, but no.

What I don't get is why all four of those in-side mixes appear for some people (I presume after searching for "Peter Gabriel"), but not for me, when I do the same. I even restarted my Apple TV 4K to see if that would help, but no.
The whole Apple user interface the is a complete POS IMHO, specially the internal search engine. Try this, search for,
peter gabriel i/o
That worked for me just now to find the i/o inside mix

The whole Apple user interface the is a complete POS IMHO, specially the internal search engine. Try this, search for,
peter gabriel i/o
That worked for me just now to find the i/o inside mix
I'll be damned. That worked for me too. I don't understand why the in-side mixes for Panopticom and The Court show up in a search for "peter gabriel," but for the other two songs, you need to include the song titles. Thanks!

I don't understand why the in-side mixes for Panopticom and The Court show up in a search for "peter gabriel," but for the other two songs, you need to include the song titles
Like I said, the search engine is a POS. LOL
In a proper world, a search for Peter Gariel Atmos or Spatial should just list everything available.

Anyone has been able to find the Four Kind of Horses in-side mix? I can see dark side mix now, but that's it.
Changing topic, anybody going to Berlin's gig? I'm tempted to buy a ticket and go...

Back