Petition to UMG to release the early Steely Dans in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I click "Sign this petition" I get a pop-up that either makes me sign in with Facebook or sign into Change.org. I can't see any way around it.
WEIRD...
I only got the popup after signing it and asking me to share it thru FB or ..Instagram(?)... BUT ther is another choice underneath where you can copy the link and post it without these people getting too much info on you...

When I click "Sign this petition" I get a pop-up that either makes me sign in with Facebook or sign into Change.org. I can't see any way around it.
I managed to Sign the petition without signing into change.org, though I have signed one before about the over use of antibiotics, and it knew who I was when I signed this one! (and I have never joined Farcebook)

When I first saw this thread title, I just thought this was another baseless attempt at something that been's dead in the water for way too long, but once I realized that this petition actually has some legs to it, I gladly added my name to the list!

Obviously as already mentioned above, there could be several technical obstacles that may prove impossible to overcome, like missing multitrack tapes (and in the case of the first three records the potential for missing Quadraphonic master tapes) but even if the Quadraphonic master tapes are missing for albums 1-3, maybe they could provide us with really good transfers from released sources (like they did for the Rick Wakeman reissues).

Upmixing should only be used as a last resort (if multitrack tapes are missing for a discrete 5.1 mix and no Quadraphonic mix exists in the vaults).

One final thought would be this: besides any unreleased 5.1 mixes that are already in the vaults, would this be a project that someone like Elliot Scheiner would be involved with, and if he isn't, who would be the one to jump on board and remix any of these titles in 5.1 surround? (It probably would not be Steven Wilson...)

After this, we need inside track records to get those unreleased Elton John 5.1 mixes out in the public (and I'd love a 5.1 mix of "Who's Next" too, particularly if all tapes exist)

;)

Obviously as already mentioned above, there could be several technical obstacles that may prove impossible to overcome, like missing multitrack tapes (and in the case of the first three records the potential for missing Quadraphonic master tapes) but even if the Quadraphonic master tapes are missing for albums 1-3, maybe they could provide us with really good transfers from released sources (like they did for the Rick Wakeman reissues).

True. Finding the master tapes may be an issue.

And there is the matter of artist approval.
The last time the Steely Dan catalog was proposed for Surround Sound release, it was blocked at the artist level - not by the record company.

True. Finding the master tapes may be an issue.

And there is the matter of artist approval.
The last time the Steely Dan catalog was proposed for Surround Sound release, it was blocked at the artist level - not by the record company.

So did you sign the petition or just drop in here to talk about all the reasons this might not work?

Artists decline or approve reissues for a variety of reasons which can change from month to month or year to year. Who proposed this 'surround sound' release, when was it?

Hadn't heard that wrinkle before--I thought both Becker and Fagen were on record as being surround enthusiasts. (Or did one or both hold it up purely because of the missing multis for "Black Cow" and "Aja"?) Anyway: got a source for that?

Wasn't there a rumor that Donald Fagen wanted his fourth solo album, Sunken Condos, remixed into 5.1?

Even if the multis are missing for Black Cow/Aja, even an up mix would be preferable to no release at all, IMO.

With Becker [sadly] out of the picture, I'm sure Fagen, a surround fanatic, will OK these releases.

Back