Petition to UMG to release the early Steely Dans in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Aja masters were stolen. Don Fagen has a reward offered.

Not true.
The multis for only two tracks are lost.
There's no evidence they were stolen.

At this point, they should just create a 5.1 remix using the remaining tracks and leave the other tracks stereo or in fake surround. This has been done before, as with The Band's "Big Pink". No point in holding up the project any longer. Otherwise we'll all be dead before the missing tapes surface.

At this point, they should just create a 5.1 remix using the remaining tracks and leave the other tracks stereo or in fake surround. This has been done before, as with The Band's "Big Pink". No point in holding up the project any longer. Otherwise we'll all be dead before the missing tapes surface.

Quite a few of the SW-mixed projects have gotten around the missing multis problem as well, most notably Gentle Giant's Three Piece Suite which combined available tracks from the first 3 albums.

I certainly wouldn't say no to a release presented in that style from Steely Dan (maybe the greatest hits?), but the full albums with upmixes would be preferable.

If you're reading this, then I'm probably already preaching to the choir. So if you've already signed our petition to UMG (see the top of this thread), then as Harry Shearer says at the end of every Le Show: Thank-you-very-much-uh-huh. But if you haven't--or if you know someone who should, but hasn't--then I hope you'll act soon. We're going to leave it up for at least a few more days, but we're at 465 (!) signatures right now, and we'd love to pass the 500 mark before we shut it down and give it to our emissary, who will bravely carry it to the heart of the beast.

Here's the link again: https://www.change.org/p/universal-...ease-release-steely-dan-s-early-albums-in-5-1

"We won't sit still. We will make it happen!" --Robert von Bahr

Not true.
The multis for only two tracks are lost.
There's no evidence they were stolen.

Fagen does not care about high res anyway. He stated with the Sunken Condo album people liten on tiny speakers anyway so why bother, he gave up on it.

Fagen does not care about high res anyway. He stated with the Sunken Condo album people liten on tiny speakers anyway so why bother, he gave up on it.

I think he was just being his cynical self. He stated elsewhere--or maybe even in the same interview--that he'd love to do a surround mix of Sunken Condos, too, but didn't think it would ever happen in this day and age.

I think he was just being his cynical self. He stated elsewhere--or maybe even in the same interview--that he'd love to do a surround mix of Sunken Condos, too, but didn't think it would ever happen in this day and age.

I don't know why in this day and age he just didn't record it as a 5.1 mix and insist that his record company release it as a BD~A! The man certainly has enough clout. His previous three solo albums excel in 5.1........DUH!

Last edited:
Back