Petition to UMG to release the early Steely Dans in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the Sunken Condos came out, I wrote to Scheiner's agent (Joe D'Ambrosio) asking if Scheiner was going to do a surround mix. To my surprise, I actually got a response. Sadly, it said that Fagen hadn't requested a surround mix:(

Well, dang. (We'll just have to convince him that it would be worth his while!)

When the Sunken Condos came out, I wrote to Scheiner's agent (Joe D'Ambrosio) asking if Scheiner was going to do a surround mix. To my surprise, I actually got a response. Sadly, it said that Fagen hadn't requested a surround mix:(
ya he said that everyone today listens on tiny speakers on phones and blutooth, and he saw no sense in doing a 5.1 version. Oh ya like we are nobody? Little snot I have every Dan-Fagen release that is available in 5.1, the cynical label stays!

Jeez, you know this stuck in my complaint file. Some of us have a few thousand tied up in systems and music. We have several members who have collections that rival most radio stations. (analog-original media)
so sorry, it pisses me off that we are discounted and not considered. I'll bet there are still many out there who have not been to QQ yet., and they also buy music. Little snot :mad:

Last edited:
And the real kick in the ass: Elliot Scheiner was the recording engineer for Sunken Condos. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/elliot-scheiner-mn0000141492/credits [reference year 2012]

Well, he's listed in the booklet as one of two "additional engineers" (after principal engineers Michael Leonhart & Charles Martinez and three other assistant engineers). Still, we'll just have to start a separate campaign for Warners to let Scheiner do a 5.1 mix of Sunken Condos...

Thanks to fredblue for bumping the petition link. We're currently waiting for our insider to okay our draft letter to the contact at Universal. Good to be able to point to 500+ ready and willing customers!

Well, he's listed in the booklet as one of two "additional engineers" (after principal engineers Michael Leonhart & Charles Martinez and three other assistant engineers). Still, we'll just have to start a separate campaign for Warners to let Scheiner do a 5.1 mix of Sunken Condos...

Thanks to fredblue for bumping the petition link. We're currently waiting for our insider to okay our draft letter to the contact at Universal. Good to be able to point to 500+ ready and willing customers!

Thanks, humprof, for all your hard work. Hopefully, I'll be able to retire my STEREO only SHM~SACDs of Countdown to Ecstasy, Can't Buy a Thrill, Pretzel Logic and Aja!

I admittedly know nothing about petitions or how they might influence anyone, so I'm not criticizing... I'm asking. The 500 signers just seems like such a small number in the larger scheme of things. I'd have imagined they might be swayed by 20,000 or so, but everyone here seems quite happy to have 500 signers. Do the powers that be look at 500 signatures and think that they represent only 2% of the potential purchasers or something?

Last edited:
I admittedly know nothing about petitions or how they might influence anyone, so I'm not criticizing... I'm asking. The 500 signers just seems like such a small number in the larger scheme of things. I'd have imagined they might be swayed by 20,000 or so, but everyone here seems quite happy to have 500 signers. Do the powers that be look at 500 signatures and think that they represents only 2% of the potential purchasers or something?

I wonder how many units need to be sold over what period of time to make a project viable. 500 signatures does seem sparce.

I admittedly know nothing about petitions or how they might influence anyone, so I'm not criticizing... I'm asking. The 500 signers just seems like such a small number in the larger scheme of things. I'd have imagined they might be swayed by 20,000 or so, but everyone here seems quite happy to have 500 signers. Do the powers that be look at 500 signatures and think that they represents only 2% of the potential purchasers or something?

I have no problem with petitions...but be careful what you wish for....the intention is to show support for the release of surround titles....but instead.....it documents what the record companies already know...that the surround interest is so small it's not worth the investment...and keep in mind that of the ones that actually sign this petition...how many will actually buy the releases....every current surround release includes a laundry list of complaints upon the announcement of that release....if it's not the cost...it's the mode(it's not hi rez)...the content...and the list goes on....so that number get's smaller and smaller..

As much as I love the surround releases...I realize that it's problematic for record companies and understand their situation...it's like when they cancel one of my favorite TV shows...I struggle to see why it was cancelled when other shows that I hate get renewed..it's all about the numbers...

I understand why people just don't want to face the facts...we all love these surround titles...my suggestion...enjoy it while it lasts...ride the Dutton train and the occasional offering from Rhino and be thankful we are getting those titles:SG

I have no problem with petitions...but be careful what you wish for....the intention is to show support for the release of surround titles....but instead.....it documents what the record companies already know...that the surround interest is so small it's not worth the investment...and keep in mind that of the ones that actually sign this petition...how many will actually buy the releases....every current surround release includes a laundry list of complaints upon the announcement of that release....if it's not the cost...it's the mode(it's not hi rez)...the content...and the list goes on....so that number get's smaller and smaller..

As much as I love the surround releases...I realize that it's problematic for record companies and understand their situation...it's like when they cancel one of my favorite TV shows...I struggle to see why it was cancelled when other shows that I hate get renewed..it's all about the numbers...

I understand why people just don't want to face the facts...we all love these surround titles...my suggestion...enjoy it while it lasts...ride the Dutton train and the occasional offering from Rhino and be thankful we are getting those titles:SG
I agree 100%... but still, it’s worth a try, right? (Even if it ends up being a Dan one-off that fails in the record company’s eyes, that’s better than no Dan!)

I admittedly know nothing about petitions or how they might influence anyone, so I'm not criticizing... I'm asking. The 500 signers just seems like such a small number in the larger scheme of things. I'd have imagined they might be swayed by 20,000 or so, but everyone here seems quite happy to have 500 signers. Do the powers that be look at 500 signatures and think that they represent only 2% of the potential purchasers or something?

We don't know, LuvMyQuad, and I don't think we're going in with any expectations. What our contact suggested was that an ardent plea from one surround enthusiast probably wouldn't register, but that 200 such pleas might them help make the case. (So we got 529 and counting.) There's no magic number here, though--it's not like a PledgeMusic or Kickstarter campaign where there's a specific threshold that triggers a go-ahead for the project once it's crossed. We're just hoping the fact that we could generate this many potential supporters in a relatively short time signals something.

Myself, I'm trying not to be pie-eyed about this; I'm probably as skeptical as Clint Eastwood (and, like him, grateful for the good ride we've had). Maybe it'll help, but it can't hurt.

Must agree! although the efforts are valiant-these greedy shits need more than we have to offer. and, would it be worth the investment? who knows.

There's no magic number here, though--it's not like a PledgeMusic or Kickstarter campaign where there's a specific threshold that triggers a go-ahead for the project once it's crossed.

I wonder if a Kickstarter or Indegogo type process might work in the future.

You could go to a record label and show them not only support (and the potential of purchases) but also $ and pre-purchases ready to be funded right away. These X number of people will buy one or more of these albums at say $25 to $35 each if released on Surround SACD. And here's the money you will get from them - in addition to any traditional sales later on - if this group gets the album(s) already paid for once you, the artist and record label, say yes.

An interesting notion.

I wonder if a Kickstarter or Indegogo type process might work in the future.

You could go to a record label and show them not only support (and the potential of purchases) but also $ and pre-purchases ready to be funded right away. These X number of people will buy one or more of these albums at say $25 to $35 each if released on Surround SACD. And here's the money you will get from them - in addition to any traditional sales later on - if this group gets the album(s) already paid for once you, the artist and record label, say yes.

An interesting notion.
I will support it.

If they really want to appeal to a broad audience, they would comb the vaults and pull out some studio outtakes, combine these with a clean transfer of the stereo mix (these have largely already been done), and release these with a surround mix of the album. Steely Dan outtakes have circulated in collector circles and are always fascinating. That would draw in fans who do not care about surround, and those who want surround but do not care about outtakes.

My only concern would be just how many commitments would UMG require ?

Would love to know what their minimum is.

I cite all the preorders for Nick Drake-Five Leaves Left...as an example of preorder last minute yank for their Pure Audio series.

Nick Drake is popular , but likely not as, as is Steely Dan. But it makes one wonder what the math is.

Back