Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm? I don’t think that’s correct for all bands like Pink Floyd? Or Led Zeppelin, now I wish I could say the same about other bands ,if you’ll remember the huge fire of 2008 that destroyed or damaged many original masters belonging to many artist from Universal music group!

Hmmmm? I don’t think that’s correct for all bands like Pink Floyd? Or Led Zeppelin, now I wish I could say the same about other bands ,if you’ll remember the huge fire of 2008 that destroyed or damaged many original masters belonging to many artist from Universal music group!
Big acts like those often gained control of their masters at some point. But often not until much later in their careers.

And again, the problem with “The Wall” has more to do with the tape it was recorded on than any lack of care. As we know, the multis of all their other albums* seem to be just fine.

*wouldn’t be surprised to find “The Final Cut” has similar issues since was recorded in the same era.

I’m
Reading some of the books on the band, my impression was that Nick and David were kind of just going through the motions to appease Roger (Rick was already fired) and figure out what was next. I think they may have had a contractual obligation to do one more album too, but it's been a while since I've read about it. The Wall was the death of collaboration it seems. Roger saying the band was lazy/unengaged and not wanting to contribute. The rest of the band feeling sidelined and pushed out. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But TFC was basically left over material from The Wall from my understanding and really didn't have any input from other members to begin with.

I don't think anyone would debate that the lyrics and message of TFC aren't intelligent and insightful. For me it's just not all that musically interesting. The Wall suffers a bit from that to me as well, but the tracks that shine elevate it. TFC doesn't really have that to pull me in. I still own it and give it a spin now and then. But I feel like it really spotlights what the rest of the band brought to the table and why Roger really did need their creative spark to make something that is wholly satisfying (at least for me). Which is something that, judging from the snippets I've heard from his Dark Side treatment, he still really has not grasped.

Of course this is all dependent on our own wants from a piece of music. Some would put TFC at the top or near the top of their list. And nothing wrong with that. I may not understand it, but I don't have to.

I, too, played it through headphones hoping to hear something special but never really did. It’s a marvelously sounding album and very well recorded. And a pleasure to listen to, to the degree I can stay awake through it.
All his solo albums were marvellously sounding until he was introduced to Nigel godrich

Big acts like those often gained control of their masters at some point. But often not until much later in their careers.

And again, the problem with “The Wall” has more to do with the tape it was recorded on than any lack of care. As we know, the multis of all their other albums* seem to be just fine.

*wouldn’t be surprised to find “The Final Cut” has similar issues since was recorded in the same era.
Yeah, you’re probably right,as I seem to remember that the Final Cut started out as The Wall part 2, but then Roger changed gears when the invasion of the Falklands island happened? I actually wouldn’t mind hearing a hi-res version of that particular album!

Yeah, you’re probably right,as I seem to remember that the Final Cut started out as The Wall part 2, but then Roger changed gears when the invasion of the Falklands island happened? I actually wouldn’t mind hearing a hi-res version of that particular album!
Yeah, that’s the story I remember too. Final Cut was supposed to be leftover stuff and movie mixes. The “When the Tigers Broke Free” single listed it as being from the forthcoming album. But then the war came.

Also, in the case of "The Wall", the problem with the multis is largely due to the fact that they switched to a new formulation of tape that a lot of studios were switching to at the time that turned out to be inferior and didn't hold up well.
It was removal of whale oil from the binder that was the problem. The new binder turns into a sticky mess that has to be baked carefully before playing the tape. Lots of things can go wrong including the oxide falling off.

I think it's more the label that's responsible for the multitracks, correct me if I'm wrong.
It varies by band. Queen own everything for example, but then they had a bad experience with their early management (hence the track "Death On Two Legs") which taught them a valuable lesson in owning your own stuff.

Yes, the film got a 5.1 mix for its DVD release, at least, if not sometime before that.
Only available in Dolby Digital 5.1 as I understand it. The film is well overdue for a Blu Ray release.
Funny you should mention that as I have this arriving sometime tomorrow :eek:

EDIT: I currently have the NTSC and PAL versions of this movie but they both contain interlace encoding errors!

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that as I have this arriving sometime tomorrow :eek:

EDIT: I currently have the NTSC and PAL versions of this movie but they both contain interlace encoding errors!
When was the Blu Ray released? It's not listed on dvdcompare.net. I see it's a Spanish import and the details say the soundtrack is DD 2.0 only, which if true means the sound is a downgrade from the existing DVD which has LPCM 2.0 and DD 5.1.

Please report back here what it is actually like sound and picture wise when you get it.

EDIT: zooming in on the picture of the case inlay I see it says DTS HD MA 5.1 and 1080p which is promising. Hopefully there aren't burnt in Spanish subtitles, but I've found one review that says there are and another that says this is a bootleg.

Last edited:
There is a review on blu-ray.com (Spanish subtitles are optional!)
It does indeed say that. It also points out that the film has various scratches on the print and some encoding issues, possibly due to use of MPEG-2 rather than AVC. On the other hand I recall the DVD being quite grainy, so it's not clear which will look better.

It does indeed say that. It also points out that the film has various scratches on the print and some encoding issues, possibly due to use of MPEG-2 rather than AVC. On the other hand I recall the DVD being quite grainy, so it's not clear which will look better.
I’m not sure what source was used for that unofficial Blu-ray but I know the DVD was sourced from an interpositive. The movie was shot with anamorphic lenses, so it’s going to be inherently soft to begin with. A well done 4K scan from the original negative could do wonders for this movie I believe.

On the other hand, I find the DVD to be completely watchable and I am just glad that it even got a DVD release.

Some years ago I encoded some 1280x720p23.976 MPEG-4 AVC 'up-scales' from the NTSC (720x480) and PAL (720x576) MPEG-2 DVD sources. They looked pretty good, so I'll be interested to see how well the Spanish '1080p' Blu-ray compares!

Either-way, as I managed to get the disc for less than a tenner delivered, I'm not too fussed if it turns out to be a pile if plop!

Last edited:
Back