Quadio - compared to prerecorded Open Reel copy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I haven't researched whether any of the Quadios were also released on prerecorded quad open reel tapes, if so, are the Quadios a lot better sounding than the open reel copies?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I haven't researched whether any of the Quadios were also released on prerecorded quad open reel tapes, if so, are the Quadios a lot better sounding than the open reel copies?

Kirk Bayne
Yes, a good portion of them were released on quad reel to reel in the 70's. None of them imo come close to the fidelity of the 24/192 Quadio discs.

These would be included in that Q4 list:

Paranoid
Sundown
Red Octopus
Good Old Boys
Holiday
Spinners
Baby I'm A Want You
Divine Miss M
Graham Central Station
Summer Breeze

Sadly many of those reels could have sounded better. Stereotape reels were high speed dubbed, as were pre-recorded cassettes and 8-tracks all would have benefitted from one to one tape transfer but that would have pushed up manufacturing cost.

With the Quadios digital transfers at 192kHz /24 bit it's hard to see how any minute audio detail from the quad master tape could not be perfectly transferred. So no "reel" contest!

Not to mention, commercial tapes run at 7½ ips, while the 4-track studio masters run 15 ips. Using the 4-track master as the source provides a much cleaner sound than any commercially-sold tape could ever.

All four Doobie Brothers quads were available as QR. I must confess I like those conversions almost as much as the quadios. They sound a bit fuller in the low end to me. That said, was ecstatic that they received the quadio treatment.

Back