Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer optical drives on pc's will not rip UHD.
I do believe this isn't true. Most Blu-ray drives simply won't read 4K UHD discs. If you buy one advertised as UHD compatible, you should have no trouble being able to rip those discs. There are, however, some older drives that will read UHD with a third-party firmware flash applied despite not being advertised as UHD compatible.

I do believe this isn't true. Most Blu-ray drives simply won't read 4K UHD discs. If you buy one advertised as UHD compatible, you should have no trouble being able to rip those discs. There are, however, some older drives that will read UHD with a third-party firmware flash applied despite not being advertised as UHD compatible.
I know an LG drive I bought that plays 4K discs needed to be flashed before I could rip 4K discs.

I just rolled the firmware back to an earlier model drive. But no, it's not a UHD drive.
I should have been more specific.

Either directly, or via Newegg, Cloner Alliance sells bare bluray drives with rolled-back (or old) firmware. Mine works fine on the UHDs I’ve tried (various movies, the A24 “Stop Making Sense”) but it’s a bit flakey on non-UHD BDs and some DVDs. I have an old Pioneer drive for those. Included is a one-year (?) license for a lesser-known cloning software app that I suppose is easier to use than MakeMKV but I prefer the latter. When ANYDVD was alive the drive worked well, and it also works fine with DVDFab.

Either directly, or via Newegg, Cloner Alliance sells bare bluray drives with rolled-back (or old) firmware. Mine works fine on the UHDs I’ve tried (various movies, the A24 “Stop Making Sense”) but it’s a bit flakey on non-UHD BDs and some DVDs. I have an old Pioneer drive for those. Included is a one-year (?) license for a lesser-known cloning software app that I suppose is easier to use than MakeMKV but I prefer the latter. When ANYDVD was alive the drive worked well, and it also works fine with DVDFab.
The cheapest route to go, I believe, is either the LG WH14NS40 or WH16NS40. I have had the former, and currently have the latter, with the firmware rolled back to the WH14NS40 version. (was done painlessly in DVDFab) but flashing the firmware is not so hard otherwise.
No need to pay extra for these drives as some will try to overcharge just because of rolled-back firmware (reflashed).

I am able to rip UHD BD's, like the recent Talking Heads 4K.

The cheapest route to go, I believe, is either the LG WH14NS40 or WH16NS40. I have had the former, and currently have the latter, with the firmware rolled back to the WH14NS40 version. (was done painlessly in DVDFab) but flashing the firmware is not so hard otherwise.
No need to pay extra for these drives as some will try to overcharge just because of rolled-back firmware (reflashed).

I am able to rip UHD BD's, like the recent Talking Heads 4K.
Yup, on a good sale, as little as half the price, unless the software has some value for the buyer.

But, like flashing jailbreak firmware on Oppos, some cautionary tales from folks that failed to RTFM. Caveat emptor, and flasher beware, and all of that.

Yup, on a good sale, as little as half the price, unless the software has some value for the buyer.

But, like flashing jailbreak firmware on Oppos, some cautionary tales from folks that failed to RTFM. Caveat emptor, and flasher beware, and all of that.
I just flashed my slim/external Verbatim/Pioneer UD03 to a UD04. Easy and seems to be working fine. So now I have two optical drives that will rip UHD.

Looks like a disc replacement programme is in the pipeline as I just received this message:

We are sorry to hear about the playback issues you are encountering with the Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K UHD disc, and apologise for the delays getting back to you while we have been resolving the issue.

We have manufactured new discs that we can send to replace the ones that have not been able to play correctly. It will be a couple of weeks before the new discs are delivered to us, but we’ll get back to you with shipping confirmation as soon as we receive them.

Please reply to this email with:

1. Your address
  2. A photo of the problematic disc(s)
You will not need to return the old discs, and we will send the new ones to you as soon as possible.

Again, we apologise for the issues you are having with the release and any frustration this has caused.

Mercury Studios

If anyone on here wants to get in touch, the email address is: [email protected] (yes, that email ending .co is correct)
I just want to thank so much for this message.
I got my replacements today and both discs works fine now!

Got a response to my email after sending a follow up after about 3 weeks with no response. I hate being the mean guy in customer service but hey if it gets results…

Sent them the original receipt from the Queen Original Store and (re-sent, it was in my first email) an image of the affected discs as well a s the customs slip as additional proof of purchase. Hopefully I get them soon…

Got a response to my email after sending a follow up after about 3 weeks with no response. I hate being the mean guy in customer service but hey if it gets results…

Sent them the original receipt from the Queen Original Store and (re-sent, it was in my first email) an image of the affected discs as well a s the customs slip as additional proof of purchase. Hopefully I get them soon…
I contacted both Universal UK and Mercury Records and sent them pics of the disc and order number. They responded once.
Since then, not a darn thing.

OK I reached out to mercury records again and attached the email/invoice. Sigh. Long time to wait for someone's f up.
Now, I have an acquaintance in the NL telling me one of the new Fish discs is screwed up. What quality control? Seems to be a thing this year.....

If I want to get this set and make sure I identify correctly any possible skips such that it would need replacement how's the best way to do this fast?

do I have to sit down and watch the whole thing at once as my time is rather tight right now I don't know if I can.

or is there a way to fast forward and find the errors easily?

Are they consistently in the same spot for everyone?

Thanks for any advice.

Back