Rhino Blu-Rays not indicating Atmos signal on AVR

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of my Rhino Atmos discs, Black Sabbath and The Doors are the only 2 (out of 8) that display ATMOS immediately (like my other ATMOS discs). If you purchased the bundles, are you seeing ATMOS displayed on your receiver for all disc?

Did you try a hard reboot of all your entire system? I mean unplugging everything and replugging it in? All this digital stuff can go crazy from time to time.

(I had an incident Monday night with my TV vs Cable Box. Missed almost the entire first quarter of the Jet game until I unplugged / replugged the TV and Cable Box. Of course, the Jets began playing like crap when I finally got everything working. LOL)

Thank you friends for your help in trying to solve this mystery. I have performed a factory reset on the Pioneer VSX-LX805. Next, I performed the initial set up and calibration. I also performed a firmware update. Unfortunately, none of this made any difference with 6 of the 8 Rhino Atmos BDs. Only Black Sabbath - Live Evil and The Doors - Greatest Hits light up Atmos on the display. I've reached out to Rhino service and am waiting for their reply. My guess is that a code that signals Atmos to the receiver is missing (but who knows, Clement was able to get Fleetwood Mac - Rumors to play properly on his Sony STR-DN1080, Barturtle was able to get Alanis to play properly on his Sony X800 and Onkyo R695, and Mandrix says all his Rhino Atmos discs are playing on his Onkyo TX-RZ50) BTW, I did try switching audio opitions and nothing changed. I also tried using direct and nothing changed.

Last edited:
Thank you friends for your help in trying to solve this mystery. I have performed a factory reset on the Pioneer VSX-LX805. Next, I performed the initial set up and calibration. I also performed a firmware update. Unfortunately, none of this made a difference with 6 of the 8 Rhino Atmos BDs. Only Black Sabbath - Live Evil and The Doors - Greatest Hits light up Atmos on the display. I've reached out to Rhino service and am waiting for their reply. My guess is that a code that signals Atmos to the receiver is missing (but who knows, Clement was able to get Fleetwood Mac - Rumors to play properly on his Sony STR-DN1080 and Mandrix says all his Rhino Atmos discs are playing on his Onkyo TX-RZ50) BTW, I did try switching audio opitions and nothing changed. I also tried using direct and nothing changed.
There is the possibility that you have too many channels for the decoding, I may be talking nonsense but think most atmos engineers mix using 7.1.4 so if you have an 11.1.4 setup perhaps it isnt picking up the atmos because there’s blank channels and your avr doesn’t respond???

Have you tried looking at the audio output settings in the Blu-Ray player? The issue could be that the player is decoding the TrueHD audio internally and then sending PCM (rather than passing the bitstream along to the Atmos decoder inside the AVR), but that wouldn't explain why some discs indicate an Atmos signal and others don't.

Have you tried looking at the audio output settings in the Blu-Ray player? The issue could be that the player is decoding the TrueHD audio internally and then sending PCM (rather than passing the bitstream along to the Atmos decoder inside the AVR), but that wouldn't explain why some discs indicate an Atmos signal and others don't.
I did switch from a Blu-Ray player to a 4K player and nothing changed.

Pioneer VSX-LX805. I've never tried ripping them. Thank you for the link. (y)
I asked if you have ripped them because if you do, you should be able to see the audio streams on the discs, as in this picture:

Screenshot 2024-09-11 104443.png

In this case, the Atmos stream is contained in the TrueHD Surround 7.1 stream. Because others have no problem accessing the Atmos stream on these discs, the principle of Occam's Razor (the simplest explanation is most likely to be correct) suggests that there is a problem somewhere in your setup. Of course, the fact that you get the Atmos signal displayed on other discs argues against that explanation.

I posted the link to the Google search about Atmos not displaying on an AVR because it is a frequent concern on forums dedicated to the home A/V experience. The problem often lies in user setups, but it can also be caused by how particular AVRs display their input and output signals. Perhaps that might explain what you are experiencing.

When you listen to these discs, do you hear anything coming from your height/ceiling speakers? If so, that would suggest you're getting an Atmos signal.

I asked if you have ripped them because if you do, you should be able to see the audio streams on the discs, as in this picture:

View attachment 109180
In this case, the Atmos stream is contained in the TrueHD Surround 7.1 stream. Because others have no problem accessing the Atmos stream on these discs, the principle of Occam's Razor (the simplest explanation is most likely to be correct) suggests that there is a problem somewhere in your setup. Of course, the fact that you get the Atmos signal displayed on other discs argues against that explanation.

I posted the link to the Google search about Atmos not displaying on an AVR because it is a frequent concern on forums dedicated to the home A/V experience. The problem often lies in user setups, but it can also be caused by how particular AVRs display their input and output signals. Perhaps that might explain what you are experiencing.

When you listen to these discs, do you hear anything coming from your height/ceiling speakers? If so, that would suggest you're getting an Atmos signal.
I'm just following your answer for my personal knowledge.
I have every Rhino Blu Ray ripped, regardless, stereo, 4.0, 5.1, Atmos. All play with Dolby Atmos signal.
I have not tried playing all the hard discs, but ones I have play with Dolby Atmos signal presuming that is the option I picked.
My front AVR screen, says all the codecs, Dolby Atmos, MCH, stereo, etc.
Now my question:
I run HDMI out of my Blu Ray player into a HDMI input at my AVR. It picks the appropriate signal and with remote I can switch different outputs if I want which I never do.
So in RustyM's case it would seem to be a setting as you suggest, rather than a defect of the disc?
I know, because of my settings in my Blu Ray player, that when I play a Blu Ray 4.0 (Quadio) it wants to faux a 5.1 signal. I do not try to fix this as when ripped and playing via my JRiver I get a perfect 4.0.
I am not suggesting ripping as the answer but I do know for a fact the listener will overall a better experience, in sound and vision.with a ripped digital product

View attachment 109180

Thank you for sharing this information. I would love to be able to see that. I have noticed, that on discs that actually light up Atmos in the display, the information button shows "Atmos-True HD". On the Rhino discs that fail to show Atmos in the display, the information button shows "DD". I do have height/ceiling speakers and I'm not hearing anything from them when playing the affected Rhino discs. (Unlike the new Bowie Atmos where a sound effect swoops across the ceiling within the first minutes of Five Years.)

I played all of the discs mentioned at have problems on other people's players. I have an Oppo 103 and each disc automatically played the Dolby Atmos layer.

I played all of the discs mentioned at have problems on other people's players. I have an Oppo 103 and each disc automatically played the Dolby Atmos layer.
Thanks Victor Bisio. I'm jealous as hell. ;) All this might come down to some code not being received by the Pioneer AVR (but not needed on other AVRs?) I'm expecting Rhino Service to email me back with what they've learned. The mystery continues...

I would love to be able to see that. I have noticed, that on discs that actually light up Atmos in the display, the information button shows "Atmos-True HD". On the Rhino discs that fail to show Atmos in the display, the information button shows "DD". I do have height/ceiling speakers and I'm not hearing anything from them when playing the affected Rhino discs. (Unlike the new Bowie Atmos where a sound effect swoops across the ceiling within the first minutes of Five Years.)

Allow me to ask these silly questions as I am not immune to doing dumb things when it comes to digital audio: On the Rhino discs that are not playing as Atmos, have you actually selected "Dolby Atmos" from the menu? Are you sure that the audio playback of your disc player isn't set up to default to some other codec other than Atmos?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions earlier.

Allow me to ask these silly questions as I am not immune to doing dumb things when it comes to digital audio: On the Rhino discs that are not playing as Atmos, have you actually selected "Dolby Atmos" from the menu? Are you sure that the audio playback of your disc player isn't set up to default to some other codec other than Atmos?

And try colored buttons if you have them.

I find it doubtful that you have discs that are defective in Atmos encoding only, but I suppose any crazy thing you can imagine can and will happen eventually. You can try and isolate the problem to the discs or the components, but it's a pain in the ass. If you have a friend with an Atmos setup or have a good relationship with a an A/V store you could try the following. Take your discs and try them on some other equipment - see if other blu-ray players and processors detect the Atmos signal. If so, that eliminates the discs as the problem. You could also try testing your blu-ray player and discs against a different A/V processor to see if it detects the Atmos signal. If it does, that eliminates your player and discs. If it doesn't, there could be something wrong in your player or player setup. Also, blu-ray manufacturing and authoring can change over time, sometimes in subtle ways. Older equipment can sometimes have issues with this. Make sure you have applied all available firmware updates to your equipment.

Thank you AR Surround for your interest in this mystery. My disc player and AVR properly plays Atmos on other Atmos discs. For Rhino, The Doors and Black Sabbath start up with an immediate Atmos in the display. So on the discs that are not playing Atmos, I've jumped from stereo, 5.1 (if available--and if so, it sounds great), and Atmos...which displays DD. I've also played the disc on a 4K player as well as a Blu-Ray player and nothing changed. For the Pioneer AVR, what do The Doors and Black Sabbath discs have that the others don't? That, to me, is the question. ;) (y)

I find it doubtful that you have discs that are defective in Atmos encoding only, but I suppose any crazy thing you can imagine can and will happen eventually. You can try and isolate the problem to the discs or the components, but it's a pain in the ass. If you have a friend with an Atmos setup or have a good relationship with a an A/V store you could try the following. Take your discs and try them on some other equipment - see if other blu-ray players and processors detect the Atmos signal. If so, that eliminates the discs as the problem. You could also try testing your blu-ray player and discs against a different A/V processor to see if it detects the Atmos signal. If it does, that eliminates your player and discs. If it doesn't, there could be something wrong in your player or player setup. Also, blu-ray manufacturing and authoring can change over time, sometimes in subtle ways. Older equipment can sometimes have issues with this. Make sure you have applied all available firmware updates to your equipment.
Thank you srbjab. I did a firmware update and no changes. Leave it to me to purchase a pricey new AVR and then have this problem--while others are doing just fine. Maybe I need to reach out to Pioneer.

I saw this on page 191 of your AVR manual. I assume that you have tried this already.
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 2.48.51 PM.jpg

Leave it to me to purchase a pricey new AVR and then have this problem--while others are doing just fine. Maybe I need to reach out to Pioneer.

What do you expect for a measly $3000, Rusty? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I saw this on page 191 of your AVR manual. I assume that you have tried this already.
View attachment 109204

What do you expect for a measly $3000, Rusty? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Thank you for pointing that out. It's challenging, I do not know where to find "BD video supplementary sound" to be able to turn it to the "off" position. I did go through both the Blu-Ray and AVR menus and wasn't able to make the change. I snapped an image from the AVRs info button. It's from the Carly Simon BD. It looks to me like the Atmos is not being delivered from the input. While other Atmos discs work.
IMG_5265.jpeg

Here's an image from the AVRs info button for Black Sabbath - Live Evil BD.
IMG_5267.jpeg

Last edited:
Back