Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be thrilled with Bread and Bette. And while I'm not interested in GCS or Ellington, but I love that Rhino is sharing the wealth, in terms of genres. Anyone else have their mad passion for surround rekindled by the Quad revival? In addition to the Quad releases, I spent a crazy amount on the Chicago Quadio box ($500) and $45 on the DVD-A of Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time" (both of which I owned and stupidly sold), as well as less than $20 for "War of the Worlds" (only to discover "Forever Autumn" is chopped up by Richard Burton's snooze-inducing narratives). Last item on the wish list is replacing the amazing multi SACD of Sarah Brightman's brilliant "La Luna." (Also sold. Times got tough there for a while.) The few folks selling are asking a king's ransom.
As for Quadio? I wonder if they can wrestle back the rights to "The Best of Bread" from Audio Fidelity, then add "Guitar Man" as a bonus track? Just a thought. I love this site, by the way. Donation coming with the next paycheck. HAPPY 4th, all!

I hope they do release the Bette Midler so we can stop talking about it.
I kind of feel like way too much energy has gone into this topic.
well in the interests of fairness it feels like these things ought to work two ways.. we can't all love everything after all and there's plenty of releases to go around for all of us 🙂

i would also just like to say, i didn't hear people complain when the conversation was more about titles/artists some others are maybe not so bothered about 🤔

to be perfectly honest, i'm not hugely fussed about some of the acts that others have been thrilled about appearing on Quadio like WAR, Randy Newman, J.Geils Band, Alice Cooper, Jefferson Starship, etc.. frankly it seemed negative to be down on any of it when every new Quad reissue is really a special thing and when others here were so happy at the news about those artists coming to Quadio! 🥳

Yeah I know, as I have seen the $$ they are demanding on the secondary market. I omitted re-release in my haste posting, but I saw where FG said not released before......jush wishing

I'll crawl back into my recliner w/ my coffee and try to refrain from posting stupid chit now
i would welcome a "Ten Years After" Quadio but I think we're out of luck unless the rights revert to Rhino? 🤔

just that the Bette Midler Quad LP has a red and black border around the artwork and the illustration of Bette on the cover has rouge, red lipstick, reddish hair, black mascara eye makeup, etc. that kind of thing really, just a stab in the dark and wishful thinking as it's one of my most hoped for Quad reissues, i know as much as everyone else! 👀😅
I don't think they've used the quad LP covers for these releases, have they? They've always just used the standard LP/CD covers.

The obvious colors for a Midler spine would be the off-white with the pinkish/rouge color of her hair. I can't imagine they wouldn't have used at least one of those colors. But clearly, I don't run the Rhino art department. :ROFLMAO:

No quad tape on Guitar Man.

That's a shame, if there is another one, is there any chance it's Manna from 1971 (or less likely On the Waters from the year before that)? Jac Holzman said in an interview in January 1972 that Elektra was "stockpiling" quad titles even though they hadn't released any to that point, so Manna especially would fit in with that timeline.

1720021137157.png

That's a shame, if there is another one, is there any chance it's Manna from 1971 (or less likely On the Waters from the year before that)? Jac Holzman said in an interview in January 1972 that Elektra was "stockpiling" quad titles even though they hadn't released any to that point, so Manna especially would fit in with that timeline.

View attachment 107217
The industry jumped into quad before the technology was fully developed and then retreated as the technology was almost perfected.

Much of that early quadraphonic equipment was hardly "audiophile". Although I agree with their final statement I'm surprised to hear an industry comment like that from such an early date. It was very forward thinking to build up a library of quad titles. Too bad they lost sight of that early vision by very quickly dumping the whole idea.

In the end the industry only cared about catering to the masses who were then ambivalent about quad.

Last edited:
There's a first time for everything.

They'll likely have to start repeating artists at some point. Why not in the 5th batch? Especially with a newly-unearthed quad mix?
I think it's important to note insofar that I think it shows part of Rhino's strategy when it comes to the quadio program. Titles have been diverse, artists have been diverse, and there's a particular focus on albums that haven't been released in digital form yet (with exception to Chicago II, which I'd consider a different case because it was bundled with 8 other albums).

What does this mean for the quadio program if Rhino mines from the same artist again? I'm not exactly sure. I think to some extent it would show the smaller collection of titles available for release as this program continues. I don't mean that in an alarm bell sort of way, to be clear. There's just a point where Rhino will run out of good or marketable quad mixes for release.

Another thing of note that I'd like to bring up is that Rhino has seemed to focus on releasing higher popularity titles first, but titles like ZZ Top's Tres Hombres haven't been released yet. This could come down to a few factors, such as red tape in getting these mixes released, artist wishes, missing tapes, or potential box sets down the pipeline. The last of those is why the US quad of Machine Head wasn't released until the box set came out.

I hope they do release the Bette Midler so we can stop talking about it.
I kind of feel like way too much energy has gone into this topic.
But what if they they do release it and then the topic continues about it's songs, the production and the quad mix. And even more energy spent on the topic.

I think it's important to note insofar (edit)

What does this mean for the quadio program if Rhino mines from the same artist again? I'm not exactly sure. I think to some extent it would show the smaller collection of titles available for release as this program continues. I don't mean that in an alarm bell sort of way, to be clear. There's just a point where Rhino will run out of good or marketable quad mixes for release.
We already know and have gone over it in fine detail just what Rhino has to work with so far as quad masters. I think that there are likely a few masters we know nothing about, some real hidden surprises. But we know most of the 4.0 possibilities and limitations by now.

Like for instance, The WEA, Asylum, Grunt, and War catalogs we know about.... but there could be something like Bloodstone which Rhino controls for distribution (last time I checked) that just drops from the sky surprising even the most knowledgeable of quadiophiles.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11404296-Bloodstone-Natural-High

Last edited:
As for Quadio? I wonder if they can wrestle back the rights to "The Best of Bread" from Audio Fidelity, then add "Guitar Man" as a bonus track? Just a thought. I love this site, by the way. Donation coming with the next paycheck. HAPPY 4th, all!
Pretty sure they have the rights to it. AF didn't buy the rights to the title. They simply licensed a one-time release. And they are out of business.

Is there even a quad mix of Guitar Man with which to add as a bonus track?

Bonus tracks and two-fers have not been a part of the Quadio line thus far. The cost of song publishing (which Warner/Rhino often does not own), combined with a lower retail cost of a Quadio disc could make sure there never is a bonus track or a two-fer reissue in this series.

You get a quad mixed master in 24/192khz, a color booklet with pix of the tape boxes, and housed in a classy super jewel case.

It is what it is as the saying goes.

I don't think they've used the quad LP covers for these releases, have they? They've always just used the standard LP/CD covers.

The obvious colors for a Midler spine would be the off-white with the pinkish/rouge color of her hair. I can't imagine they wouldn't have used at least one of those colors. But clearly, I don't run the Rhino art department. :ROFLMAO:
the obvious colours for Bette Midler would be... 🌈 logotype on a 🏳️‍🌈 background..!! 😅🤣

Back