Rhino Quadios - Batch 7 - Speculation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to wonder how many more “sellable” titles are out there. There’s an obvious commercial motive with these release and given we’ve had 24 (actually 23 given the Toulouse Street duplication) individual “new” titles, I’m wondering/fearing if they’re starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel a little bit (2 x Jeff Starship and 2 x Jay Geils)…

I have to wonder how many more “sellable” titles are out there. There’s an obvious commercial motive with these release and given we’ve had 24 (actually 23 given the Toulouse Street duplication) individual “new” titles, I’m wondering/fearing if they’re starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel a little bit (2 x Jeff Starship and 2 x Jay Geils)…
That's a very good observation. Will Rhino release everything that was once released in quad (and a few that never made it?)
Unlikely. It's all a business decision and if something likely won't sell, it's likely not going to be released. Just my opinion.

i don't think we're at the bottom of the barrel yet, there's still arguably the best of the Seals & Crofts Quads to come ("Diamond Girl")
and then there's a couple more of their albums in Quad as well (not so great admittedly), the remaining 2 x Spinners Quads have even better mixes than the already released eponymous Quadio (the remaining 2 albums mixed by Don Murray who did the superb Philadelphia International Quad mixes of The O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" & Harold Melvin's "Black & Blue"), there's the (for me) better mixed of the 2 x Graham Central Station Quads still on the horizon (1975's "Ain't No Bout A Doubt It"), the Stardrive Featuring Robert Mason "Intergalactic Trot" album is real showcase Quad with a marvellous mix, there's more Gordon Lightfoot, Randy Newman and Carly Simon Quads and reissues of out of print and sought after Quads like Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" and potentially any other previously unreleased mixes before we even get into Maria Muldaur, Arlo Guthrie, Dionne Warwick and the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band territory, let alone Tony Orlando, New Seekers and all that jazz..! 😅

i don't think we're at the bottom of the barrel yet, there's still arguably the best of the Seals & Crofts Quads to come ("Diamond Girl")
and then there's a couple more of their albums in Quad as well (not so great admittedly), the remaining 2 x Spinners Quads have even better mixes than the already released eponymous Quadio (the remaining 2 albums mixed by Don Murray who did the superb Philadelphia International Quad mixes of The O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" & Harold Melvin's "Black & Blue"), there's the (for me) better mixed of the 2 x Graham Central Station Quads still on the horizon (1975's "Ain't No Bout A Doubt It"), the Stardrive Featuring Robert Mason "Intergalactic Trot" album is real showcase Quad with a marvellous mix, there's more Gordon Lightfoot, Randy Newman and Carly Simon Quads and reissues of out of print and sought after Quads like Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" and potentially any other previously unreleased mixes before we even get into Maria Muldaur, Arlo Guthrie, Dionne Warwick and the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band territory, let alone Tony Orlando, New Seekers and all that jazz..! 😅
I'd love to see EDGAR WINTER Group "Shock Treatment" be released. It qualified for an RIAA Gold Record back in the day for 1 Million Dollars in Sales which is nothing to sneeze at. Im sure it would garner some interest. Contains the Top 40 hit "Rivers Risin".

I'd love to see EDGAR WINTER Group "Shock Treatment" be released. It qualified for an RIAA Gold Record back in the day for 1 Million Dollars in Sales which is nothing to sneeze at. Im sure it would garner some interest. Contains the Top 40 hit "Rivers Risin".
it's not one of Rhino's unfortunately, it's a Sony title so we have to hope either Dutton Vocalion or Sony Japan tackle it 🤞

Do you ever open and play them?
Of course. I have dupes of most of them, and save the stickers and wrap for posterity. For the picture, I used mostly the unopened ones. However, on the boxes, I always only open them from the side and leave the shrink over them. Don't worry, they get listened to.

Awesome photo Jon, I have all that you have except 1 and mine are all open with hype sticker gone :ROFLMAO: .

The one is CTA stand alone Quadio, I never knew that was a release, tell us the story on that one. I know I could look on Discogs but funner to hear from you.

Well, it's a great story of Rhino and their audio engineer Bob Vosgien coming to QQ to tell us the story of the first Quadio back in 2010. Most of those posts still exist here in the Quadio section of the forum and are well worth reading when you have time.

The Chicago Transit Authority DTS disc was the first of the Quadios and it represented a new program that unfortunately was terminated with only 2 releases due to some major shake ups at WB.

Although he was involved back then, Our friend Foraging Rhino (Steve) was not posting here at QQ back then, it was a guy named John Hughes. There's a lot to go through here, but the audio engineer Bob Vosgien actually posted here, and in PMs to me told me of all of the titles he was given to prepare for the program, over 40 titles!! Back then, they also included the Capitol Q8 titles (although not the solo Beatles releases)

It's best to read through the old threads. I will add them to the list here. You can relive the excitement from 14 years ago for the very first Quadios. We were all bummed that the program got tanked, but then Steve rescued it a few years later and SHOCKED us with the Chicago box set, probably one of the best quad box sets ever released!

This forum is a great library of the history of Quad from 2002 to the present. Members should really reach back and relive some of the great stuff, good and bad, that we've experienced over that time.

Here's your reading assignments - you will have fun reading these:

NEW CHICAGO QUAD REISSUE FROM RHINO HANDMADE (2/25/2010)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/new-chicago-quad-reissue-from-rhino-handmade.12713/

JOHN FROM RHINO HERE - THANK YOU QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM! (7/1/2010)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...here-thank-you-quadraphonic-quad-forum.13176/

PLEASE WELCOME BOB VOSGIEN TO QQ, THE MASTERING ENGINEER OF THE CTA QUAD DTS DISC (4/9/2010)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ring-engineer-of-the-cta-quad-dts-disc.12895/

ARETHA FRANKLIN'S GREATEST HITS - THE NEXT QUADIO TITLE (7-6-2010)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ns-greatest-hits-the-next-quadio-title.13196/

And looks like it's no longer available. Sold out!
Yeah....to get that D~V album cover I had to enlist the services of discogs so I guess Perry Como does appeal to Dutton Vocalion's MAIN CUSTOMER BASE BIG TIME!

Perry & Perry Como In Person At The International Hotel, Las Vegas, Primary, 1 of 3

That's a very good observation. Will Rhino release everything that was once released in quad (and a few that never made it?)
Unlikely. It's all a business decision and if something likely won't sell, it's likely not going to be released. Just my opinion.
Yeah, if some garage band put out a stereo album that sold 150 copies and there’s a known unreleased quad mix, no matter how available it might be, it wouldn’t make sense to put it out. And I’d be surprised if there weren’t dozens of examples.

Disappointed in "The Doobie Brothers Toulouse Street" release in this set. For those of us wanting to collect them all and support Rhino, we are just paying for a duplicate contained in the box set. I think they should have included an Atmos mix on the disc so that we would have additional content and value to make the purchase worthwhile.

they've probably already prepared as many viable titles again as they've already released, so i'm hopeful for at least another half a dozen bundles of 4 over the next year and a half or so 🙂
I love Quad, but if I don't like the music, then it's totally meaningless for me.

Disappointed in "The Doobie Brothers Toulouse Street" release in this set. For those of us wanting to collect them all and support Rhino, we are just paying for a duplicate contained in the box set. I think they should have included an Atmos mix on the disc so that we would have additional content and value to make the purchase worthwhile.
That will be coming in a few months in the other Rhino line.

Back