Roxy Music -Avalon 40th anniversary Dolby Atmos Mix (now streaming)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume this would be released on Rhino right?
No way. Roxy Music's catalog is currently with Universal Music and any reissues would have to come from them. (Rhino only handles mutichannel releases within the Warner Music catalog).

What I got out of that interview, sadly, is that Phil Manzanera doesn't get multi-channel. That means neither 801 Live or any of his projects are going to be released in even 5.1. :-(
Actually, he was the only one in the band who talked about the 5.1 mix of their debut.
SDE: It ticks most the boxes doesn’t it; the outtakes, the demos, the BBC sessions, and the video footage and the like. But the 5.1 mix in particular, I’m interested in that. I’m quite a fan of surround sound and particularly Steven Wilson’s work in 5.1.

Phil Manzanera: Yeah, he is the man, Steven Wilson. He has cornered the market and you know, what was amazing as we were sitting down and listening to the original tapes – obviously, they were then transferred onto digital – but hearing how beautiful they sounded compared to, you know, the limitations of the technology at the time [when] you didn’t know what the quality of the vinyl was, and you were trying to cut it so the needle didn’t jump and cutting down all the songs so that, you know, there was under 20 minutes [on each side]. But when I sat there and heard really what we’d recorded coming out of each speaker, I was amazed. Actually, I thought oh my God, it could have sounded a lot better.
(Emphasis added by me.)

This 5.1 version on SACD, mixed by Bob Clearmountain and released in 2003, didn't sell like hotcakes - but it is out of print, and prices can be upwards of $500 on eBay

https://www.discogs.com/release/709566-Roxy-Music-Avalon
Perhaps the reason that the SACD of Avalon didn't sell that well back in 2003 was due to a lack of interest in SACDs & surround sound. However, since it's going for a such high cost on eBay shows that a reissue on Blu-Ray should do very well.

Perhaps the reason that the SACD of Avalon didn't sell that well back in 2003 was due to a lack of interest in SACDs & surround sound. However, since it's going for a such high cost on eBay shows that a reissue on Blu-Ray should do very well.
Didn't stop the surround remix of dsotm from being a best seller (for surround sound music standards that is) though.

Though unlikely, couldn't you encode an Atmos DD+ stream on a standard DVD? That's the Atmos streaming format.
I really don’t know, I just figure it’s a moot point as AFAIK it’s just not done for industry Audio/Video standards and licensing. Probably relating to overall storage size limitations and the software and players to accomplish it.
But, other than that, digital is digital, is it not? Someone with more technical knowledge of the subject should answer that.

He either just doesn’t know or had a brain fart; but I’m right there with him for the intent of a physical disc (aka Blu-ray)!

However, continuing this type discussion takes the thread off course.

What I got out of that interview, sadly, is that Phil Manzanera doesn't get multi-channel. That means neither 801 Live or any of his projects are going to be released in even 5.1. :-(
There was a recent release of 801 LIVE on SACD -- have it but not listened to it yet. It's somewhere in the "why did you buy me if you don't listen to me" pile. Sitting right next to me. Hmm. The Mainstream one is below it, both beautifully packaged Japanese products! But yes, that means no surround version in sight for them.

Didn't stop the surround remix of dsotm from being a best seller (for surround sound music standards that is) though.
That's true; however Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon has long been recognized as a audiophile classic so any new format it appears on will enjoy huge sales especially one that promises superior sound and an immersive surround experience (such as the SACD & Blu-Ray issues of the album). Roxy's Avalon didn't really get that recognition until years after it's release on SACD came and went. So to put it another way, an Atmos/5.1 Blu-Ray release of Avalon should be a success.

Last edited:
To add to the find of @sjcorne - the video version of the podcast:

Thanks for finding the video. While I’m not a fan of this era of the band, it was cool listening to the two of them talk shop. What caught my ear was Clearmountain saying that he had servers full of 5.1 mixes that no one cares about. On principle, I disagree…

Thanks for finding the video. While I’m not a fan of this era of the band, it was cool listening to the two of them talk shop. What caught my ear was Clearmountain saying that he had servers full of 5.1 mixes that no one cares about. On principle, I disagree…
According to Bob Clearmountain, he has been creating 5.1 remixes since the early 00's for his own personal inventory while working on stereo remixes for various artists/labels. This probably includes literally hundreds of unheard surround remixes as his services were very much in demand THEN ...and NOW!

According to Bob Clearmountain, he has been creating 5.1 remixes since the early 00's for his own personal inventory while working on stereo remixes for various artists/labels. This probably includes literally hundreds of unheard surround remixes as his services were very much in demand THEN ...and NOW!
We should probably approach Mr. Clearmountain en mass and demand he open his vault! 🔚

Back