Roxy Music -Avalon 40th anniversary Dolby Atmos Mix (now streaming)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would they do that when they had to mix the other songs from scratch since most of the songs didn't get a 5.1 release.
I found the side/rear content of the "More Than This" and "Avalon" Best Of Atmos mixes eerily similar to the old 5.1's, and there seemed to be little seperation between the side and rear pairs in those songs. Hence my hypothesis that it was somehow derived from the 5.1 mix, but I suppose it could be coincidencental.

Anyone with issues with this new streaming version needs their hearing or system checked. I think it's absolutely fabulous. I was a little underwhelmed after the first two songs, but turned up the overall volume just a few db's and there it was. Center channel vocals might be a tad loud but it didn't really bother me. I'm not sure I've ever heard drums sound better on an older release. Manzanera's guitar is amazing too. This one is out of the ballpark. I just listened twice straight through and may go in for round 3 shortly. And I only have a 5.1.2 setup. Can't imagine what it would sound like with some rear heights too.

I've listened to the complete album in Atmos. This is a killer release. The 2 songs which appear on the Best Of have been improved. I'm hearing better use of the rear speakers and heights. I'm not sure how this mix could be considered meh.

Cool news they've also remixed the Best Of Bryan Ferry - Retrospective in Atmos as well as Boys And Girls. It just doesn't sound as good in lossy streaming though so hopefully someday a blu ray will come out. I presume the tracklist will follow the single CD. Some great tunes on here, I love the Johnny And Mary cover... Can't wait to hear it - released 25/10.

1. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall
2. These Foolish Things
3. The “In” Crowd
4. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
5. Casanova
6. Let’s Stick Together
7. Sign Of The Times
8. Slave To Love
9. Don’t Stop The Dance
10. Windswept
11. Kiss And Tell
12. As Time Goes By
13. Your Painted Smile
14. I Put A Spell On You
15. Which Way To Turn
16. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
17. Make You Feel My Love
18. You Can Dance
19. Love Letters
20. Johnny And Mary

Last edited:
Cool news they've also remixed the Best Of Bryan Ferry - Retrospective in Atmos as well as Boys And Girls. It just doesn't sound as good in lossy streaming though so hopefully someday a blu ray will come out. I presume the tracklist will follow the single CD. Some great tunes on here, I love the Johnny And Mary cover... Can't wait to hear it - released 25/10.

1. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall
2. These Foolish Things
3. The “In” Crowd
4. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
5. Casanova
6. Let’s Stick Together
7. Sign Of The Times
8. Slave To Love
9. Don’t Stop The Dance
10. Windswept
11. Kiss And Tell
12. As Time Goes By
13. Your Painted Smile
14. I Put A Spell On You
15. Which Way To Turn
16. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
17. Make You Feel My Love
18. You Can Dance
19. Love Letters
20. Johnny And Mary
Please know that I'm not shooting the messenger, but no 'The Price of Love', 'Tokyo Joe', or 'This Is Tomorrow'? That ain't no "best of"! :D

For me, Flesh + Blood and Avalon represent Roxy Music at the peak of their keyboard heavy, pop musical output. As much as I Iike a lot of their art-rock period, these 2 records are on another level in terms of consistency and sophisticated production. Although I own the 5.1 SACD of Avalon I'd definitely upgrade if the Atmos mix is offered on blu-ray. Bring on the rest of the catalog!

Does anyone know if there is or will be a physical Blu-ray Disc release of this?
I really hope so because that mix is a stunner. It's right up there with Atmos mixes of The Hurting and 10000Hz Legend for me. There's still a mystery upcoming Rhino Blu-ray Audio title so I'm hoping for Avalon or The Cars.

Back