Roxy Music -Avalon 40th anniversary Dolby Atmos Mix (now streaming)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall there’s not a ‘massive’ difference I could tell… But it’s starting from such a high bar… Some cool moments still though and was pleasantly surprised with a new real mix on track 4 - India.
Interesting, I thought it was quite different even after just one listen.

Right from the beginning, the main guitar figure in "More Than This" that used to be in the rears is now in the front. As others have said, the center speaker is used a lot more aggressively to isolate the bulk of the drums, bass, and lead vocal. I can perceive phantom images left and right of center (for things like tom hits, some guitar parts, etc), which would suggest that the level of the center channel is as intended, but I did find the vocals slightly too hot in places. It also seems a bit 'wetter' than the 5.1 mix, perhaps because most of the reverbs and delays are now relocated to the height speakers.

Interesting, I thought it was quite different even after just one listen.

Right from the beginning, the main guitar figure in "More Than This" that used to be in the rears is now in the front. As others have said, the center speaker is used a lot more aggressively to isolate the bulk of the drums, bass, and lead vocal. I can perceive phantom images left and right of center (for things like tom hits, some guitar parts, etc), which would suggest that the level of the center channel is as intended, but I did find the vocals slightly too hot in places. It also seems a bit 'wetter' than the 5.1 mix, perhaps because most of the reverbs and delays are now relocated to the height speakers.
Yep, probably not that eloquently put by me. I was more meaning on how surround-y it felt compared to the 5.1 mix... In that regard I thought they were in a similar vein although I was only listening in 5.1.2 so probably not the best showcase. But yeah that centre channel is much more utilised - even to a slightly distracting point at some moments. It wasn't such a big jump like how Music From The Big Pink was. Still, pleased this is out and glad I've still got the 5.1 mix, which from memory sounded better fidelity wise (even considering that was mixed from CD level transfers).

Yep, probably not that eloquently put by me. I was more meaning on how surround-y it felt compared to the 5.1 mix... In that regard I thought they were in a similar vein although I was only listening in 5.1.2 so probably not the best showcase. But yeah that centre channel is much more utilised - even to a slightly distracting point at some moments. It wasn't such a big jump like how Music From The Big Pink was. Still, pleased this is out and glad I've still got the 5.1 mix, which from memory sounded better fidelity wise (even considering that was mixed from CD level transfers).
Are you going through Tidal as I am only getting stereo from Apple?

Hopefully the new mix makes it to blu-ray. Streaming Atmos from Apple actually sounds very good on my system but I'd prefer to own a physical copy. If they do release it on BD and it sells well enough maybe it'll release the floodgates on the rest of the catalog.

IMG_2003.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 108525

I think the above is referring to the “Best of” Atmos mixes that appeared on Apple Music last year. The title track on that release sounds like an upmix of the old 5.1, with the center folded into the mains and the rear content duplicated across the sides & surround backs.

The new Avalon full album mix that appeared on Tidal yesterday is the real deal. The mix of the title track is the same as the demo I heard at Apogee Studios back in March during MixLA.

View attachment 108525

I think the above is referring to the “Best of” Atmos mixes that appeared on Apple Music last year.
Phew! I was worried there.
Makes sense that it is connected to that.

I was kinda wondering on how you can create one of the best 5.1 surround mixes with More than This & Avalon only screw up the song in Atmos.

I listened to the Atmos mix last night on Tidal. To me, I found too much going on in the center channel at the expense of the instrumentation (as opposed to the older 5.1). Now, I suspect if I listen again and just turn down the center channel a bit, I will be pretty pleased with the mix. YMMV.

the “Best of” Atmos mixes that appeared on Apple Music last year. The title track on that release sounds like an upmix of the old 5.1
Why would they do that when they had to mix the other songs from scratch since most of the songs didn't get a 5.1 release.

Back