Roxy Music -Avalon 40th anniversary Dolby Atmos Mix (now streaming)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is here. Available to stream in Atmos.

Avalon Atmos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I understand the appeal of Avalon from an audiophile perspective, particularly given that the MCH SACD release is a “holy grail” item among collectors, am I alone in thinking that the Viva album was their last great piece of work?

I recall being in high school when Manifesto came out and wondering what the hell happened to Roxy Music. The adventurous, trend-setting rockers I loved turned into high-brow lounge lizards. While still great musicians, their music was now boring and lifeless to me.

If you are a fan of those last two studio albums, keep on listening and enjoying and don’t look back. However, I feel like they fell off of a cliff with Manifesto and Avalon. Other bands like Chicago, Heart, Genesis, etc., eventually got there as well in various forms, but not with the suddenness and surprise that enveloped Roxy Music.

While I understand the appeal of Avalon from an audiophile perspective, particularly given that the MCH SACD release is a “holy grail” item among collectors, am I alone in thinking that the Viva album was their last great piece of work?

Yes, you are alone :p Well at least from my perspective.
I love Flesh+Blood & Avalon. Completely agree that the change in the band's artistic trajectory was pretty sever but it was "Dance Away" that got me interested and Flesh+Blood that hooked me. Avalon's "More Than This" & the title cut were simply the BEST tunes for the couple's skate on Friday night at the North Olmsted ice rink.

The cold rink air, holding Mary D's hand as we skated clockwise around the barn as Ferry crooned away - had my heart racing. Definitely not boring or lifeless.

Truth be told, I was a little disappointed when I finally got the chance to see them live and they were a little too campy.

Noooo! I refuse to stream. Physical or p*** off! Grunts and shuffles off.. 😊
Yeah, I have no use for this. I'm pretty sure that there are thousands of people who would purchase a physical copy. And how many people are actually able to stream the full Dolby Atmos experience into a hi-fi system instead of headphones? Twenty-seven, maybe? Disappointing, to say the least.

Overall there’s not a ‘massive’ difference I could tell… But it’s starting from such a high bar… Some cool moments still though and was pleasantly surprised with a new real mix on track 4 - India.

What a fantastic album! I’ve only ever heard it in surround - and I wouldn’t (couldn’t!) listen to it any other way… 😎

I do hope this gets released as lossless to reveal it’s full potential…

Back