Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lucky enough to finally find a cheap, used blu-ray of this release without the overbloated boxset. I wasn't interested in any other boxset content apart from the liner notes, but those are also included in the 3-CD edition (which I have), so in the end I got all I wanted without the (for me) uninteresting extras that would only take up space and make the boxset horribly expensive nowadays.

I'll write a review soon, but there's something I'd like to ask before, as I haven't seen any mention about it anywhere. On my system, the Dolby True HD option sounds a lot louder than the DTS-HD Master Audio one. It's nearly a 4 dB difference. Is it just me? I haven't noticed this with other releases that share both formats.

I've been lucky enough to finally find a cheap, used blu-ray of this release without the overbloated boxset. I wasn't interested in any other boxset content apart from the liner notes, but those are also included in the 3-CD edition (which I have), so in the end I got all I wanted without the (for me) uninteresting extras that would only take up space and make the boxset horribly expensive nowadays.

I'll write a review soon, but there's something I'd like to ask before, as I haven't seen any mention about it anywhere. On my system, the Dolby True HD option sounds a lot louder than the DTS-HD Master Audio one. It's nearly a 4 dB difference. Is it just me? I haven't noticed this with other releases that share both formats.
I would love to find a separate blu-ray for this. Like you, I am unwilling to spend exorbitant amounts on the full box set on the used market. Any chance you can share how you found this? Is it an official release, or were you just fortunate to find someone willing to part with the blu-ray out of their box set maybe?

I would love to find a separate blu-ray for this. Like you, I am unwilling to spend exorbitant amounts on the full box set on the used market. Any chance you can share how you found this? Is it an official release, or were you just fortunate to find someone willing to part with the blu-ray out of their box set maybe?

Found it in a Spanish online marketplace. Not an official standalone release of course - it's what you say in your second guess. I had been trying to find it for years.

I extracted the MA (top) and TrueHD (bottom) PCM .wavs from my (already extracted) bluray image using Audiomuxer and popped them into Audacity. I don't see anything obviously different....

However, I don't know
1) if the TrueHD version uses dialnorm ;
and
2) if Audiomuxer applies or preserved dialnorm metadata when extracting a Dolby source to .wav

Untitled.png

On my system, the Dolby True HD option sounds a lot louder than the DTS-HD Master Audio one. It's nearly a 4 dB difference. Is it just me? I haven't noticed this with other releases that share both formats.
I tested this on my system and i do not perceive any difference in volume level between dts-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD. That said, i noticed a slightly fuller and wider soundstage with Dolby TrueHD. I did the back & forth switching on the fly during playback and every time i land on dts-HD MA It's as if the front stage is slightly narrower and the surround channels have a whiff less presence. These differences are very slight but they are noticeable.

Edit: I don't use my center speaker with music material, therefore my system is essentially a 4.1 with music.

Last edited:
That said, i noticed a slightly fuller and wider soundstage with Dolby TrueHD. I did the back & forth switching on the fly during playback and every time i land on dts-HD MA It's as if the front stage is slightly narrower and the surround channels have a whiff less presence. These differences are very slight but they are noticeable.

Interestingly, that was my own impression as well, but I know the volume difference (on my system) can be misleading. I tried to volume match both, although it's difficult to do it on the fly.

Interestingly, that was my own impression as well, but I know the volume difference (on my system) can be misleading. I tried to volume match both, although it's difficult to do it on the fly.
Maybe the fact that your copy is not an official standalone release has something to do with the volume mismatch, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
Maybe the fact that your copy is not an official standalone release has something to do with the volume mismatch, but that's just a guess.

Should be identical to any other disk out there. It's just a blu-ray taken from the box, not an unofficial standalone release. Everything looks exactly the same, as it should be.

I've only tested it on my Yamaha AVR, but I have another one (Marantz). I'll play it there later today and see if the behaviour is any different.

I've only tested it on my Yamaha AVR, but I have another one (Marantz). I'll play it there later today and see if the behaviour is any different.

So here are my weird findings:

- On my Pioneer player + Yamaha AVR, there's the volume difference described in the posts above (I must add: the stereo mix and DTS-HD surround have similar levels, it's the Dolby TrueHD which sounds a lot louder than both).

- On my Oppo player + Marantz AVR, there's no volume difference at all.

🤔

So here are my weird findings:

- On my Pioneer player + Yamaha AVR, there's the volume difference described in the posts above (I must add: the stereo mix and DTS-HD surround have similar levels, it's the Dolby TrueHD which sounds a lot louder than both).

- On my Oppo player + Marantz AVR, there's no volume difference at all.

🤔
Some sort of normalization going on probably.

Back