Seeking high quality quadraphonic surround mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kit

Hey guys

I have a quadraphonic (4.1) recording studio and I recently came across this site as I am seeking to download quadraphonic music mixes to play on my system.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to download royalty free or purchase quad mixes?

Thank you! :)

Also, have a look at Sony Japan SACD releases at CDJapan or local resellers wherever you are based. Search the forum for ripping SACDs (requires a suitable SACD player, many old/cheap Sony players fit the bill) and blu-rays if you require the files to play. Also, the 4.1 setup doesn't mean that you're limited to quadraphonic mixes. You can downmix >4 channel mixes.

Thanks for the links!

I have noticed that there is an abundance of groovy quad music from the 70's, but I wonder if there is much in the way of recent releases using modern equipment?

Thanks for the links!

I have noticed that there is an abundance of groovy quad music from the 70's, but I wonder if there is much in the way of recent releases using modern equipment?
Yes, post #2 above mentioned Dutton Vocalion and Rhino, both of these have lines of discs that are exactly that, 70s quad for and on modern equipment.

New releases, you got 'em.

Thanks for the links!

I have 4.1 at home and did have 4.0 for a few years in the car. More modern recordings/mixes are great in the quadraphonic format. As in post #3 above, "the 4.1 setup doesn't mean that you're limited to quadraphonic mixes. You can downmix >4 channel mixes."

Set up the player/soundcard/software/etc for the channel layout you have and voila! four-channel goodness.
In my case with the car system I passive mixed center into L and R before the power amps.
Now that I think of it, maybe there was a setting in the indash player menu to downmix 5.1 to 4.0 but I never looked.

But purely four channel quadraphonic releases in modern decades? I'd guess most producers wouldn't consider it because the biggest market is probably 5.1 system owners who would complain there's nothing in the center speaker. The two releases mentioned I admit I have not heard.

I think I like the idea of modern production of new music in 4ch because it could be put on a record. A 12" 33 sold for the standard $25.99 or whatever, but it actually has surround matrixed into stereo for those hip enough to know what it is.

Are you looking specifically for quad mixes and specifically full HD master quality? Or is it more any surround mixes and quality that's at least reasonable? (ie. not highly generational analog copies of out of print recordings made by consumers or stepped on streaming surround reduced to low bit rate mp3 sound like Apple Music with lossy Atmos)

Most surround music mixes out in the world are 5.1 mixes. 5.1 will downmix into 4.0 well enough until you get a center channel hooked up. Full HD 5.1 downmixed to 4.0 will still be a more real experience than any streaming no matter how many speakers you have. If you're like me with wanting fidelity before more channels, anyway! Turns into a gimmick quickly otherwise.

The meat of a 5.1 mix is still the 4 main channels. They aren't different or competing formats. 5.1 is 4.0 with two additional channels. 4.0 plays into a larger system just as well as when there were only those 4 channels. Mains channels are still full range. The Lfe is a unique additional bass-only channel that can be used or not in a mix. But if this is a specific study of 4.0 mixes, fair enough! There are poll threads around here. The comments will be useful even if the poll ratings are non sequitur.

Thanks for the links!

Most movies from 1977 to about 2009 were in Dolby Surround (the original matrix system). Many soundtrack albums contain the Dolby Surround encoding. These can be decoded with a Dolby Surround, Pro Logic, or Pro Logic II decoder.

DVDs of concerts are often recorded in Dolby Digital.

I think I like the idea of modern production of new music in 4ch because it could be put on a record. A 12" 33 sold for the standard $25.99 or whatever, but it actually has surround matrixed into stereo for those hip enough to know what it is.
They tried that 50 years ago and it was a TOTAL bust! And it will never come back again ever..

Last edited:
They tried that 50 years ago and it was a TOTAL bust! And it will never come back again ever..
True. I should qualify that by saying I would like to see some more releases like that.
Not that it would ever be mass market, but like the occasional 8-track that still gets made with new music, it would be fun (at least for me!).

Apologies for the off-topic comment. :)

Not really. They just wrongly expected sales much higher than what they got.

When R4 came out, the machines sold like hotcakes. The problem is that nothing else sold at that rate.

They guessed that people wanted discrete instead of matrix. But CD-4 sold even worse than matrix.

When they found out that most of the R4 decks went into home studios instead of quadraphonic systems, the execs got mad and dumped everything quadraphonic. Columbia actually destroyed most of the work they did.

Back