Sergio Mendes is gone at 83 R.I.P.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.I.P. SERGIO.....wherever you may be hopefully you're serenading the choir of angels with your latest iteration of SERGIO MENDES & BRAZIL '24

Sergio Mendes Bio, Wiki 2017 - Musician Biographies

What can I say? No one like him. Mendes would be in my top 5 music acts. Caught him live - spectacular! Have bought everything of his I could get my hands on. Lots of Japan and Brazil imports.

Recommended rarities:
Carnival live w/Brazil '77 Japan only SQ LP mostly audience in rears ESSENTIAL
Picardia (lado1 Espanol) Peru LP (side 2 English) Sergio Mendes(w/Never Gonna)
Live at Expo '70 w/Brazil '66 Japan only LP & CD
In Concert (1979) w/Brazil '77 UK MFP LP
Horizonte Abierto LP/CD Brazil only
Bossa Rio 1st (similar to Brazil '66) UK CD/US LP produced by Mendes

What can I say? No one like him. Mendes would be in my top 5 music acts. Caught him live - spectacular! Have bought everything of his I could get my hands on. Lots of Japan and Brazil imports.

Recommended rarities:
Carnival live w/Brazil '77 Japan only SQ LP mostly audience in rears ESSENTIAL
Picardia (side 1 Espanol) LP side 2 - Sergio Mendes (w/Never Gonna Let You Go)
Live at Expo '70 w/Brazil '66 Japan only LP & CD
In Concert w/Brazil '77 UK MFP LP
Horizonte Abierto LP/CD Brazil only
Bossa Rio 1st (similar to Brazil '66) UK CD/US LP produced by Mendes
Seriously, it's so sad when someone of his stature passes. He cannot be replaced.

My 5 fave Mendes records:

1- Equinox w/Brazil '66
2- Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66
3- Sergio Mendes (Never Gonna Let You Go)
4- Carnival (live in Japan) w/Brazil '77 Japan only SQ
5- Fool on the Hill w/Brazil '66 (cover is group sitting on picture of naked girl!)

We caught Mendes in concert perhaps 15 years ago at the Hemmens in Elgin, IL. It was all Brazil '66/'77/'88 w/female lead singers, incl. his wife Gracinha Leporace. She was lead singer in Bossa Rio and replaced Lani Hall in Brazil '66 and subsequent groups. Near the end of the concert, Joe Pizzulo came on stage and sang lead on Never Gonna Let You Go. Pizzulo was lead singer on the hit record.

We met Lani Hall and her Husband Herb Alpert backstage at Bullish (TJB reunion tour) show at Poplar Creek, Hoffman Estates, IL in the 80's.

Never Gonna Let You Go (lip synch) from Solid Gold:

Brujo (Voodoo) en Espanol from Picardia A&M/CBS Peru LP

My 5 fave Mendes records:

1- Equinox w/Brazil '66
2- Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66
3- Sergio Mendes (Never Gonna Let You Go)
4- Carnival (live in Japan) w/Brazil '77 Japan only SQ
5- Fool on the Hill w/Brazil '66 (cover is group sitting on picture of naked girl!)

We caught Mendes in concert perhaps 15 years ago at the Hemmens in Elgin, IL. It was all Brazil '66/'77/'88 w/female lead singers, incl. his wife Gracinha Leporace. She was lead singer in Bossa Rio and replaced Lani Hall in Brazil '66 and subsequent groups. Near the end of the concert, Joe Pizzulo came on stage and sang lead on Never Gonna Let You Go. Pizzulo was lead singer on the hit record.

We met Lani Hall and her Husband Herb Alpert backstage at Bullish (TJB reunion tour) show at Poplar Creek, Hoffman Estates, IL in the 80's.

Never Gonna Let You Go (lip synch) from Solid Gold:

Brujo (Voodoo) en Espanol from Picardia CBS Peru LP

Equinox was my intro and one I still play all the time. Amazing rhythm and harmonies.

I had to listen to this today. Damn. This needs to be a Quadio, @ForagingRhino! Sure, it won't be to everyone's taste, but it's beautiful, with great arrangements and smooth vocals. I'm in 100%! Sergio was awesome, no matter what year his stuff was released, from Brazil 66 in the 60s to the 2000s.
PXL_20240909_145929482.jpg

I had to listen to this today. Damn. This needs to be a Quadio, @ForagingRhino! Sure, it won't be to everyone's taste, but it's beautiful, with great arrangements and smooth vocals. I'm in 100%! Sergio was awesome, no matter what year his stuff was released, from Brazil 66 in the 60s to the 2000s. View attachment 109101
yes indeed! 🫡💘 i've been singing that records praises for quite some time 🙌 the suggestion by someone on here that it was a contractual obligation's utter hogwash, it's a lovely album with a great Quad mix 🤩 RIP the late great Sergio Mendes 😔💔

Back