Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t? That’s really rather sad. I guess you don’t enjoy the thrill of a living, breathing steam engine either.
I certainly do. Here are a couple of my choo choos. These are sound equipped engines. If I get around to it, they have a transmitter in them which I can rig to play through the surround sound system. Many of my locomotives have aftermarket replacement speakers designed and manufactured by an audio engineer.

AR Choo Choos.jpg

I certainly do. Here are a couple of my choo choos. These are sound equipped engines. If I get around to it, they have a transmitter in them which I can rig to play through the surround sound system. Many of my locomotives have aftermarket replacement speakers designed and manufactured by an audio engineer.

View attachment 94337
I love this. As a hobby junkie, I always wanted a train set. They have two real nice train clubs near me, one in San Mateo and one in Oakland. Maybe when I am done with my drag racing hobby and ready to settle at home I'll build a train set?

Here are a few photos of my recent upgrades: a new couch, new Monitor Audio Gold 5G speakers (front channels, centre, surround FXs, a new Marantz AMP10 power amp, and a new TV/Hi-Fi cabinet.
I will soon replace the Denon X6400h with the Marantz AV10 to match the new amplifier. While I love the Denon x6400h, the AV10 has balanced inputs and outputs and has measured incredibly well in all categories in the recently published Masimo YouTube videos.

IMG_4844 EDIT.jpg

Above, the living room with the gear. Below, a front view of the gear with part of my music collection in the background. I took a photo while playing JT's Beastie in 5.1. A great remix.

IMG_4818 EDIT.jpg

I love the rear panel of the Marantz AMP 10. It's incredibly well-built. I'm barely using half of the amplifiers at this stage. I won't use it in bridged mode since I have 4-ohm speakers. I got my speaker cables from NB Cables. They are based in SA, Australia, and do custom cables. Love the built quality.

IMG_4848 EDIT.jpg

Here are a few photos of my recent upgrades: a new couch, new Monitor Audio Gold 5G speakers (front channels, centre, surround FXs, a new Marantz AMP10 power amp, and a new TV/Hi-Fi cabinet.
I will soon replace the Denon X6400h with the Marantz AV10 to match the new amplifier. While I love the Denon x6400h, the AV10 has balanced inputs and outputs and has measured incredibly well in all categories in the recently published Masimo YouTube videos.

View attachment 96399

Above, the living room with the gear. Below, a front view of the gear with part of my music collection in the background. I took a photo while playing JT's Beastie in 5.1. A great remix.

View attachment 96400

I love the rear panel of the Marantz AMP 10. It's incredibly well-built. I'm barely using half of the amplifiers at this stage. I won't use it in bridged mode since I have 4-ohm speakers. I got my speaker cables from NB Cables. They are based in SA, Australia, and do custom cables. Love the built quality.

View attachment 96401

Nice!!! But how do you keep the neighbors at bay when you decide to crank it up?

View attachment 96399

View attachment 96400

View attachment 96401
It's a shame you're still missing such a vital piece of equipment: a NADD.

A NADD (Neighbouring Apartment Dispersal Device) is designed especially for music nuts who live in apartments, have very expensive, high-quality hi-fi components, but feel constrained to push up the volume to 11 due to the adjoining presence of people who simply don't give a shit about music quality and just want their lives to roll along in audiophile-ignorant bliss, as peaceful as a serene punt down an English river in midsummer.

It works by emitting an ultrasound dispersal beam in all directions (away from the source) that causes such intense pain to any nearby apartment visitors upon their first inspection that they never actually move in; hence, the end result is you're now surrounded (ho ho) by empty apartments and can enjoy your music at whatever level you desire.

Admittedly, the NADD hasn't been invented yet, but chucky3042 now knows what his next project is.

Nice!!! But how do you keep the neighbors at bay when you decide to crank it up?

A NADD (Neighbouring Apartment Dispersal Device) is designed especially for music nuts who live in apartments, have very expensive, high-quality hi-fi components, but feel constrained to push up the volume to 11 due to the adjoining presence of people who simply don't give a shit about music quality and just want their lives to roll along in audiophile-ignorant bliss, as peaceful as a serene punt down an English river in midsummer.

It works by emitting an ultrasound dispersal beam in all directions (away from the source) that causes such intense pain to any nearby apartment visitors upon their first inspection that they never actually move in; hence, the end result is you're now surrounded (ho ho) by empty apartments and can enjoy your music at whatever level you desire.

Admittedly, the NADD hasn't been invented yet, but chucky3042 now knows what his next project is.
I know it’s hard to believe, but my neighbours told me they don’t hear my music, which is good!

I live in an apartment so I keep the volume down when I know my neighbors are home, otherwise I have an Atmos 7.1.2 set up for my 4K OPPO, (2 Harmon/Kardon tabletop satellite speakers and sub-woofer out of view). Sony ES STR-AZ1000ES 7.2-channel home theater receiver
The small tower speakers are Q-Acoustics. The two Magnapan 1.6 MG qr speakers are used just for stereo, incorporating a turntable and Musical Fidelity CD player and matching amplifier. Also cable box and Apple 4KTV. I've since straightened the Klipsch wall/ceiling speaker cords though I don't like them. Can't wait to move to something a bit bigger when I retire soon.
Set up.png

I used to do do something like that if I was around when the above apartment was being shown. Rattle dishes in the cabinets. Try to get my dog to bark and of course play music a bit loud if I could.

I used to do do something like that if I was around when the above apartment was being shown. Rattle dishes in the cabinets. Try to get my dog to bark and of course play music a bit loud if I could.
I'm fortunate in that I live in a rural house where I have no neighbours so the volume can be as loud as my ears can stand. I'm in the process of moving to a house in urban Canada next month that has a basement, but which I hope will provide similar sonic benefits. Eventually, though, if we move to the Gulf Islands, I may build my own man cave/den away from the house as the milder weather may not imply any need for a basement.

I thought this was already an optional board for the surround master? Maybe Dave still looking for that box of "anti dBs" to put in it?

The Marantz AV 10 has arrived, and it looks gorgeous.

I hooked it up and run an Audyssey calibration using a calibrated microphone and the MultEQ-X PC app. This way, I was able to correct the main room modes below 300Hz and only apply minor parametric EQ above those frequencies. The PC app is not for free but it is totally worth it. I checked the results with a UMIK 1 and REW, and I’m happy with the calibration. Results are not subtle. Since this AV processor supports Dirac, I think I will try it.

Now I can use all balanced pre-outs to the amplifier, and also balanced cables to the Panasonic BD 9000 for stereo CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

Things that are great:
- how it looks
- the low weight since it has no amps inside
- it doesn’t run hot since it has no amps
- the 1080p GUI is amazing
- the remote control with backlight
- balanced connections
- good phono preamp
- performance. I did look at the measurements before buying this unit, and together with the amp they run dead quiet, no hiss
- HEOS works pretty well. It’s stereo only but it’s underrated as an app
- two speaker presets to test different settings and calibrations

Things that I don’t like:
- no HDMI in the front panel. This was handy on the old Denon to connect my laptop and compare masterings with Audacity
- the 1080p GUI is slower than the low res GUI of my old Denon
- my NUC 10th generation doesn’t like this new AV processor. All signals are sent correctly apart from the most important one - Dolby TrueHD. This is a known issue so I will replace the NUC with another computer to use Kodi.

Overall, this is a terrific AV processor and I‘m thrilled to have it. I’m also looking forward to learning how it works and what it has to offer. I definitely want to try 360RA decoding in the coming days.

IMG_5049.jpeg

IMG_5047.jpeg

IMG_5131.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

marantz av10 multeq-x corrections 2023 10 21.jpeg

The Marantz AV 10 has arrived, and it looks gorgeous.

I hooked it up and run an Audyssey calibration using a calibrated microphone and the MultEQ-X PC app. This way, I was able to correct the main room modes below 300Hz and only apply minor parametric EQ above those frequencies. The PC app is not for free but it is totally worth it. I checked the results with a UMIK 1 and REW, and I’m happy with the calibration. Results are not subtle. Since this AV processor supports Dirac, I think I will try it.

Now I can use all balanced pre-outs to the amplifier, and also balanced cables to the Panasonic BD 9000 for stereo CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

Things that are great:
- how it looks
- the low weight since it has no amps inside
- it doesn’t run hot since it has no amps
- the 1080p GUI is amazing
- the remote control with backlight
- balanced connections
- good phono preamp
- performance. I did look at the measurements before buying this unit, and together with the amp they run dead quiet, no hiss
- HEOS works pretty well. It’s stereo only but it’s underrated as an app
- two speaker presets to test different settings and calibrations

Things that I don’t like:
- no HDMI in the front panel. This was handy on the old Denon to connect my laptop and compare masterings with Audacity
- the 1080p GUI is slower than the low res GUI of my old Denon
- my NUC 10th generation doesn’t like this new AV processor. All signals are sent correctly apart from the most important one - Dolby TrueHD. This is a known issue so I will replace the NUC with another computer to use Kodi.

Overall, this is a terrific AV processor and I‘m thrilled to have it. I’m also looking forward to learning how it works and what it has to offer. I definitely want to try 360RA decoding in the coming days.

View attachment 97452
View attachment 97453
View attachment 97455

View attachment 97454
View attachment 97456

View attachment 97457
View attachment 97458
The lack of multichannel analog input is a dealbreaker for me. My SR6014 has it; the SR6015 had it, as did higher level models. I'm not sure about pre/pros from prior to the AV10. Has Marantz dropped multichannel analog inputs from its range entirely? If so, I wonder what my options will be down the line for AVRs and pre/pros if I want to integrate vintage quadraphonic sources? Will I be stuck with ultra-high end options like Trinnov? I don't think one of their units would ever be in my budget.

Also, @albertop, what speakers are those? Looks like AMT tweeters?

The lack of multichannel analog input is a dealbreaker for me. My SR6014 has it; the SR6015 had it, as did higher level models. I'm not sure about pre/pros from prior to the AV10. Has Marantz dropped multichannel analog inputs from its range entirely? If so, I wonder what my options will be down the line for AVRs and pre/pros if I want to integrate vintage quadraphonic sources? Will I be stuck with ultra-high end options like Trinnov? I don't think one of their units would ever be in my budget.

Also, @albertop, what speakers are those? Looks like AMT tweeters?
The speakers are Monitor Audio Gold 5G. Same series for the centre and the surrounds. Full description on my profile page.

I’m not sure about analogue inputs in previous Marantz receivers. I had Denon AVRs until recently and I didn’t want to buy a receivers with amps that are unused this time. I guess it will be harder in the future to get processors with analogue inputs. I don’t use vintage surround sources but I do get the point.
I haven’t checked if the Denon A1H still has analogue inputs. It’s similar to the Marantz, most likely same performance if using DAC filter 2 (sharp roll off). But it’s too heavy for me at about 30Kg. This one is better.

The lack of multichannel analog input is a dealbreaker for me. My SR6014 has it; the SR6015 had it, as did higher level models

That is what I used to think until I found out that the 7.1 analog inputs on the Marantz don’t work with tone controls or Audyssey. Those inputs are good for connecting legacy processors, however.

Back