Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought myself a nice 2nd hand avr yesterday, Denon avr-x2600, I took a while to set it up last night and it’s working great apart from one thing, apple airplay wont work on it, I tried with my 3 devices, macbook pro, ipad pro and iphone 14 pro and all of them say unable to connect so it’s not them thats the problem, can anybody help me with ideas on how to get it working? They all worked easily with my previous Sony avr
image.jpg

I certainly do. Here are a couple of my choo choos. These are sound equipped engines. If I get around to it, they have a transmitter in them which I can rig to play through the surround sound system. Many of my locomotives have aftermarket replacement speakers designed and manufactured by an audio engineer.

View attachment 94337
I think you need to start up a new thread to share more about your model railroad. I've been collecting models and kits for 18 years with the hopes of starting mine in an 11x12 basement room...the closest I got was to build a replica of John Allen's Timesaver, and that has been collecting dust for probably a decade or so. I'm toying with the idea of using the entire basement for either an Atmos listening area or a railroad...obviously very interested in your combined set-up.

Well, just had a weak moment, and bought another sub to match what I already have. So, now I join the world of dual subs. Though, I bought one from their outlet store, which is essentially returned subs that have full warranty. I paid $749, not $899.

View attachment 99877
didn't bother telling my wife. It will arrive later this week, and I'll be out of town on business. lmao

Okay, i'm officially–as @edisonbaggins said–back to the dark side: scored an ultrasonic vinyl record cleaner! HumminGuru–Black Friday Sale!
View attachment 99075

How do you feel about it, compared to lower end disc washer type stuff? I'm deciding that disc washer leaves a residue, and translates to scratchy noise on the disc. I hate it.

Well, just had a weak moment, and bought another sub to match what I already have. So, now I join the world of dual subs. Though, I bought one from their outlet store, which is essentially returned subs that have full warranty. I paid $749, not $899.

View attachment 99877
Are you going to put both subs up front, or one in the front and one in the back?

didn't bother telling my wife. It will arrive later this week, and I'll be out of town on business. lmao
Never mind my above question. You are going to be living in your car after dropping this on Mrs. GOS.

Are you going to put both subs up front, or one in the front and one in the back?

Never mind my above question. You are going to be living in your car after dropping this on Mrs. GOS.
My knee jerk answer is, I assumed both would be front. Though, I honestly don't know. I have room in front, easily. If one is in back, that presents its own challenges of cables, etc.

My knee jerk answer is, I assumed both would be front. Though, I honestly don't know. I have room in front, easily. If one is in back, that presents its own challenges of cables, etc.
I think if you experiment with the layout, you might find that one arrangement works better than the other. However, you should have a more balanced bass presentation regardless since you will now have two subs.

I think if you experiment with the layout, you might find that one arrangement works better than the other. However, you should have a more balanced bass presentation regardless since you will now have two subs.
Yeah. Even though sub bass is non directional, I can swear that I get the senstation that I know my deep bass is coming from the front left. Which, is where my sub is. Could easily be placebo.

Yeah. Even though sub bass is non directional, I can swear that I get the senstation that I know my deep bass is coming from the front left. Which, is where my sub is. Could easily be placebo.
Perhaps it has to do with the the roll-off curve...i.e. 12 dBs per octave. A sub with an 80 Hz crossover frequency still produces some frequencies above 80 Hz but at increasingly reduced levels. Higher crossover frequencies would make the sub sound even more directional.

Time to install REW and get a UMIK mic. Then you'll know for sure where the best two spots are for the subs.

From my experiences, placing both subs up front looks cool but generally isn't as effective as other placement possiblities. If you could measure your current sub you undoubtedly find a null or two or three. Placing a second sub up front merely duplicates the same null(s).

Placing the second sub in the back will come with its own null(s), but different null(s). Summed together you'll get a flatter response curve.

Time to install REW and get a UMIK mic. Then you'll know for sure where the best two spots are for the subs.

From my experiences, placing both subs up front looks cool but generally isn't as effective as other placement possiblities. If you could measure your current sub you undoubtedly find a null or two or three. Placing a second sub up front merely duplicates the same null(s).

Placing the second sub in the back will come with its own null(s), but different null(s). Summed together you'll get a flatter response curve.
To be honest, what matters the most is how it sounds from the sweet spot. 99% of the time, I am the only one listening. I don't have visitors, and my wife doesn't appreciated the rackett.

To be honest, what matters the most is how it sounds from the sweet spot. 99% of the time, I am the only one listening. I don't have visitors, and my wife doesn't appreciated the rackett.

REW will help you in maximizing that experience. It's a must if you want to get serious about your subwoofers.

When you start measuring your system, I believe you will actually find it kind of fun. It's all part of the hobby.

Or it could be that the sub is making things on the left side vibrate (which may or may not be audible) and that is what you are noticing. That is what I experienced in my room when I only had one sub, in the front right corner. I got a second matching sub (dual SVS SB-4000s) and put it on the opposite side of the room, left side mid-wall, and was then able to turn down the level on the first sub and was able to blend them so that I don't get that kind of vibration anywhere (or at least much less noticeable) and cannot localize the bass. Very happy with the result.

As a side note, I have read that opposite corners, or one corner and the opposite mid-wall, is easier to integrate than both in front, but I am sure with some adjustments you can get it how you like it. Fortunately, SVS subs have a great app that allows for almost unlimited adjustments of levels, crossovers and EQ, so with some patience you should be able to get something you are happy with.

Back