Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDMI 2.1
eARC solves these issues, as long as you have a compatible receiver as well. It vastly increases the amount of bandwidth that the ARC channel can use, up to an impressive 37 Mbps. This extra bandwidth makes it possible to send uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 audio, like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, which are often the carrier signals for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdmi-2-1

HDMI 2.1
eARC solves these issues, as long as you have a compatible receiver as well. It vastly increases the amount of bandwidth that the ARC channel can use, up to an impressive 37 Mbps. This extra bandwidth makes it possible to send uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 audio, like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, which are often the carrier signals for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdmi-2-1
TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are losslessly compressed.

I think we can agree that sentence would be more accurate leaving uncompressed out.
I believe the intent is that HDMI 2.1 provides support for object based media formats and increased total bandwidth to 48 Gbit/s of which eARC can push 37 Mbps

Forget eARC for a minute.. The question is only, what is the max Audio transfer for HDMI? Let's say HDMI 2 or 2.1.
I found 18Gbps for 2.0 from a vendor's site (Manhattan Products) (with a premium cable-often advertised as 8K video capable) But I can't verify it.

Forget eARC for a minute.. The question is only, what is the max Audio transfer for HDMI? Let's say HDMI 2 or 2.1.
I found 18Gbps for 2.0 from a vendor's site (Manhattan Products) (with a premium cable-often advertised as 8K video capable) But I can't verify it.
18Gbps is the entire bandwidth of HDMI 2.0. Full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 is 40Gbps, but not all 2.1-rated devices and cables are capable of that. Regardless, the maximum audio bandwidth for any flavor of HDMI is likely the equivalent of 7.1 LPCM at 24-bit/192kHz: 36.864Mbps. The rest is reserved for video, HDCP copy protection, and other data.

18Gbps is the entire bandwidth of HDMI 2.0. Full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 is 40Gbps, but not all 2.1-rated devices and cables are capable of that. Regardless, the maximum audio bandwidth for any flavor of HDMI is likely the equivalent of 7.1 LPCM at 24-bit/192kHz: 36.864Mbps. The rest is reserved for video, HDCP copy protection, and other data.
OK, now we're getting somewhere. :)
I do have HDMI 2.1 on my AVR, but not on anything else.

Someone needs to edit the WIKI for HDMI.

Frank sez "hi"!

IMG_20240917_0002.jpg

There was a gesture used (at least in the US) with the index and small finger pointed toward someone, I believe with vigorous forward and back motion. Read about it many decades ago somewhere.
Man this could go on forever.
I had neighbors originally from I think Indiana when I was a kid, Italian heritage, and they would hold their palm flat and make a quick twisting motion and a sound with it. Don't remember what that was all about.

There was a gesture used (at least in the US) with the index and small finger pointed toward someone, I believe with vigorous forward and back motion. Read about it many decades ago somewhere.
Man this could go on forever.
I had neighbors originally from I think Indiana when I was a kid, Italian heritage, and they would hold their palm flat and make a quick twisting motion and a sound with it. Don't remember what that was all about.
I think it meant they had diarrhea. I dunno.

Yes indeed. Just as conspicuous is that nowhere is the Sansui logo to be found. On the back of the larger decoder unit it says Quinta Enterprises. If you google that today all you get is hits from the La Quinta motel chain.

At $140 plus shipping, that's cheap enough for me to consider buying, just to satisfy my curiosity. But I would have to build another purpose built power supply and I need another decoder like I need another hole in the head.

So I guess it's on you Ken, to make an offer & check it out. It looks like a 5U 19" rack mount which I know you can't resist. So let us all know about it when you get your new toy!
While I am in no need of another decoder either, I am very curious about this! You are right that it is not overly expensive even less so if you consider just the module set rather than the rack. I looked into it more and found that the seller won't ship to Canada, at the same time I put in a couple of offers that were rejected.

So back to you Scott, inquiring minds want to know just what is on these boards!

Do you ever think this way?
When I get a new release, I feel some pressure to listen to it, not for the sake of QQ, but for myself. I purchased it, I want to listen, I don't want to purchase music and not listen.

I find I have been going back to music I listened to once, just random choices, listening in a more calm mood, and enjoying the heck out of it.

Sometimes, I wish they would slow down the surround choices, like back to 10 years ago.
Better watch what you wish for I guess.
Wish for more, get too much.
Wish for less and probably get nothing.

As I write, listening to Porcupine Tree-Closure/Continuation in Atmos, very nice.
I never buy music just to have it in my collection. Once in a while, I buy something that I think I’ll like, but find it awful, and it goes off to a charity thrift store or discogs.

I can’t think of any “one and done” discs in my collection, and it’s pretty big.

Does anyone have any idea what these "cornheads" are used for? @GOS ? They certainly are nasty looking beasts. The model might make an interesting freight car load for my choo choos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2959248188...9KEW2E&hash=item44e67e6382:g:G3gAAOSw~zJk~Nyb

View attachment 109151
I’m not a farmer, but I’ve seen this sort of implement on a combine used to harvest soybeans.

I’ve been out of touch for a couple of weeks (strangely poor Internet on a river cruise ship) and I’m catching up slowly, so this might have been answered before I got to it.

I’ve been out of touch for a couple of weeks (strangely poor Internet on a river cruise ship)
Dang it, Barfle! Going on cruises and stuff like that always seem to have an adverse impact on our QQ time. You should probably stop doing things like that because of it. :sneaky:

Back