Snarky Puppy's 2015 Magnum Opus, 'Sylva' (with the Metropole Orkest) is coming in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sylva is the best jazz/fusion disc I've bought this year. Or maybe longer. Might be the best disc thus far in 2024, period. For a live recording in the Genre it rivals Djabe.
Seriously, though, for me this ranks as one of the top surround discs of 2024 so far. I realize jazz/fusion ain't for everyone. Can't argue preferences...but mine are wide ranging and jazz will always hold a special place for me.
The band and the orchestral elements are so well integrated that without visuals you wouldn't know one from the other without careful listening and intimate knowledge of the Puppies beyond my meager knowledge..
Absolutely great recording and mixing.

So all the stereo masterings of this new mix - the CD, the hirez (48/24) download and the stereo track on the Blu-Ray - use the same smashed (DR6) mastering.

I wanted a decent-sounding version of this new mix for my portable music player, and the Atmos mix (unsurprisingly) is not similarly affected. So I used Audiomuxer (Tools -> Audio Conversion -> tick 'Remix: To Stereo', h/t to @sjcorne for this) to extract a 48/24 stereo FLAC from my ripped .mkv. Then I used @HomerJAU 's Music Media Helper 8's Chapter Editor function (Open the original video .mkv, save .cue file) to generate a .cue file - moved the cue file into the same folder as the FLAC, edited the .cue file in Windows Notepad and changed the extension of the file it was pointing at from .mkv to .flac (so it was referencing the .flac I'd generated instead of the .mkv) and saved my changes. Opened the .cue file in Foobar, and voila I have the whole downmixed stereo album in 48/24 with track markers. Then I exported that from Foobar (select all, right click, pick 'Convert' chose my FLAC option) and I have individual flac files for each song.

I'm sure the downmixed Atmos isn't identical to the dedicated stereo track (truthfully I haven't listened to it all the way through, but spot checking it, it sounded pretty good) and it doesn't include the two bonus/alternate tracks, which are stereo-only on the Blu-Ray sadly, but the differences in DR are striking enough to make it worth exploring, at the very least, I think:

Original stereo mix:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Metropole Orkest/Snarky Puppy / Sylva (Remixed & Remastered)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR6 -0.30 dB -10.61 dB 3:33 01-Sintra - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR6 -0.30 dB -8.02 dB 6:02 02-Flight- Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR6 -0.30 dB -9.03 dB 6:13 03-Atchafalaya - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR6 -0.30 dB -10.02 dB 15:04 04-The Curtain - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR5 -0.30 dB -7.13 dB 4:33 05-Gretel - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR6 -0.30 dB -9.59 dB 19:29 06-The Clearing - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Remixed & Remastered)
DR7 -0.30 dB -10.74 dB 14:40 07-The Curtain - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Bonus Version)
DR7 -0.30 dB -9.91 dB 6:10 08-The Clearing - Live From Dordrecht, Het Energiehuis / 2014 (Bonus Version)
Number of tracks: 8
Official DR value: DR6
Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1666 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

My Atmos downmix:
Analyzed: Snarky Puppy & Metropole Orkest / Sylva (48/24 2024 Stereo Downmix)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 -4.78 dB -22.77 dB 3:36 01-Sintra
DR13 -4.23 dB -21.37 dB 6:03 02-Flight
DR15 -3.39 dB -21.80 dB 6:13 03-Atchafalaya
DR14 -3.13 dB -22.16 dB 15:04 04-The Curtain
DR12 -6.44 dB -23.00 dB 4:32 05-Gretel
DR16 -0.09 dB -21.74 dB 19:29 06-The Clearing

Number of tracks: 6
Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1490 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Back