So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four. At home, my original modified Oppo 83 quit playing Region B Blu-Rays, so it was retired in favor of the now-discontinued Sony UBP-X1100ES, also modified for Region B playback. An unmodified Oppo 83SE is in my office, primarily for stereo and multi-channel audio The only negatives on these old 83s: they don't support FLAC.

I acquired a second-hand 103 so I could rip SACDs and DVD-As to an external hard-drive. Unfortunately, I'm too old and stupid to figure out how to do that, so years later it still sits in a box. I fortunately acquired a 205 during Oppo's last call for orders. I immediately took it to a suburban Chicago shop for an all-region Blu-Ray modification, but it remains boxed up in my office. Why? It's for my old age when physical media players go the way of player pianos and 8-tracks. Okay, I'm 76 years old, so I've already reached that point. But digital media is targeted for eventual extinction. My 205 is ready for service, and there's no way I'll get sucked into buying new audiophile vinyl.

I suggest you unbox those two Oppos and use them- even just a little bit once in a while. It's not good for machines to sit idle for long periods.

I’ve had two, but only briefly at the same time. I had, IIRC, a 93 that I upgraded to a 105D when blu-rays came out. I was in the throes of moving when the 205 came and went, so I missed that. But I’m far more enamored with 3D than I am with 4K, so that’s OK for now.

I’ve used the Aussie region breaker on my 105 - that’s the only mod I’ve done to either one.

I have an 83, a 93 and a 103. The 83 is no longer working but the others are. Also have Sony x800 and two x800m2 players. Use them all in separate set ups.

The mods I did were super easy. Although the mod for the 103 is different than the one for the 203. I don't think either one took more than 5-10 minutes start to finish. They just involved lifting the lid and plugging the mod chip into an existing socket on the board. At the time, I recall reading on a dedicated video forum that OPPO was cool with it and it did not void their warranty since you were essentially doing what they did when they manufactured region free players for markets other than North America. Of course, today, that is a non-factor.

The mods I did were super easy. Although the mod for the 103 is different than the one for the 203. I don't think either one took more than 5-10 minutes start to finish. They just involved lifting the lid and plugging the mod chip into an existing socket on the board. At the time, I recall reading on a dedicated video forum that OPPO was cool with it and it did not void their warranty since you were essentially doing what they did when they manufactured region free players for markets other than North America. Of course, today, that is a non-factor.
Given there's been a software mod for years that offers the ability to play DVD's from any region I wonder why there's no software mod to play Blu-ray discs from any region too!

Given there's been a software mod for years that offers the ability to play DVD's from any region I wonder why there's no software mod to play Blu-ray discs from any region too!
For the 20x models (and the Oppo clones which already use it) the jailbreak firmware lets you easily switch Blu Ray regions, along with a bunch of other goodies.

For the 20x models (and the Oppo clones which already use it) the jailbreak firmware lets you easily switch Blu Ray regions, along with a bunch of other goodies.
Hmmm... The Russian 'jailbreak' firmware is a bit out of my comfort range, whereas the software to update the DVD playback for any region was easy and fuss free!

Yeah, the jailbreak firmware is similarly out of my comfort range for a player I value so much.
A perfectly good reason not to do the jailbreak, and I well understand.

I would not have had the confidence to jailbreak my Oppo 203, and it would be pristine still, had I not been able to practice the procedure, several times, with a clone (M9702) that came with the for-pay Chinese firmware that didn’t have as many features. I even practiced using the MTKTool, which is only relevant in the absolute worse case. I also practiced reverting to original (Oppo original, that is) firmware.

the ole 970, the 80 that served me so well for a long time. when it started getting flakey i got a 93 because i also wanted 3D. recently got a great deal on a 103 which is a great machine and has the hdmi input i can use for a roku. Oppo lives on!

I suggest you unbox those two Oppos and use them- even just a little bit once in a while. It's not good for machines to sit idle for long periods.

Nor is it good for our butts to sit idle for long periods, so we need to stop being mesmerized by surround sound and get off of the couch!

Seriously, I have an Oppo 205 that I use exclusively for playing ripped files via USB. I guess I should spin a few discs once in a while to keep the mechanism healthy. I would assume that should the mechanism fail, I could still play files via USB? I don't have a backup Oppo. The 205 is my one and only.

When I jailbroke my 103, I bought the firmware from Oppo-JB.com. Unfortunately I had to flash through the firmware flash port, which means I had to get a USB > TTL converter and a few wires. Their used to exist a method to flash the 103 via USB port but seems to not be available now. Same with the 105.

The 203-205 are easy to flash as it can be done through the USB port.
As long as you are capable of following instructions, there's nothing difficult about it. But I realize it ain't for everyone, and in fact might not even be useful for many.

Since I switched to primarily pc playback, I don't really use the disc players that much anymore. I use the 103 and a Sony for ripping SACD's.

On replacing remotes, I found a company in China, two actually, when I needed a remote for my old Sherwood AVR.
One the remote did not work, and I returned it.
The other one, while it does not look like the original, works just fine. Wish I could remember the name of the company but it eludes me right now and I can't find the invoice.
Also sometimes you can pick up the older Logitech Harmony remote off EvilBay cheap.

Nor is it good for our butts to sit idle for long periods, so we need to stop being mesmerized by surround sound and get off of the couch!

Seriously, I have an Oppo 205 that I use exclusively for playing ripped files via USB. I guess I should spin a few discs once in a while to keep the mechanism healthy. I would assume that should the mechanism fail, I could still play files via USB? I don't have a backup Oppo. The 205 is my one and only.

Yes the machines that are our bodies need use to stay in good working order- especially at the age most of us here are. Being a couch potato is not just from listening to music and is a common affliction in Amercican culture. Use it or lose it.

I think it'd be smart to spin a disc occassionally. But if the drive fails you should still be fine to use the USB drive.

Considering at one time Cambridge and Oppo players were pretty much twins... I currently have an Oppo 95, Cambridge 751BD (Oppo 95), Cambridge 752BD x2 (Oppo 105) and Oppo 205. Everything except the Cambridge 752 (no ability) has been modified to play image files.

That's probably the most important feature considering I have moved everything original I have in DVD-Audio and SACD (and I bought all the great ones back in the day!) to a much more convenient & long-lasting file-based format on a quick-access SSD for best possible sound quality

Last edited:
Considering at one time Cambridge and Oppo players were pretty much twins... I currently have an Oppo 95, Cambridge 751BD, Cambridge 752BD (x2) and Oppo 205. Everything except the Cambridge 752 (no ability) has been modified to play image files.

That's probably the most important feature considering I have moved everything original I have in DVD-Audio and SACD (and I bought all the great ones back in the day!) to a much more convenient & long-lasting file-based format on a quick-access SSD for best possible sound quality
Yes, being able to play image files is def a plus, my Oppo 103 is jailbroke and can play them off the LAN.

I admit I've never seen one of the Cambridge players except on the net. Very rural area here, plus the Oppo's have served me well so far. (fingers crossed!)

My 95 is one of the newer items in my rack, I mean it's only 12 years old! Positively a spring chicken!

Same with me: the audiophile
Oppo 95 players started around 2011. My amps (Mccormick/Cary)/ preamp (Audio Research/Conrad Johnson Mch)/ power conditioner (Audience) are all about 20 years old (2005), and my speakers (Innovative audio cabinet speakers / Acoustic Research 8.3 Phantoms) are even older than that at about 25 years old (2000). But all of it is still going strong & certainly built better than what's put out today...

Last edited:
Back