So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that is why it is below market value...the seller describes the condition honestly...anything approaching "mint" is 4 grand and up..
In which case "market value" for a 205 is even higher than it was a couple of years ago when I decided it was utterly not cost effective. I put the money towards an Arcam AVR31 instead and bought a pair of 203s (one as a spare).

In which case "market value" for a 205 is even higher than it was a couple of years ago when I decided it was utterly not cost effective. I put the money towards an Arcam AVR31 instead and bought a pair of 203s (one as a spare).
But two 203s do not equal one 205. Sorry, Owen!

It's akin to being your parent's second favorite child!

I have an AVR with ESS DACs and handles HDMI audio. I don't need a 205, the combination of a 203 and my AVR does everything I need and sounds fantastic. The Arcam AVR31 is a significant step up from what I had before.

I understand why people sticking with analogue multi channel audio systems or legacy quad systems want a 205. But I jumped the other way to HDMI audio. My previous AVR was on its last legs so it wasn't like I was abandoning good equipment.

These are the people from whom I bought my Parasound P7 preamp. Remarkably, they are advertising this item for the same price on ebay as it is on their website. One would expect that it would be a bit cheaper on the website given ebay fees.

The Magnetar UDP-900 does not have multichannel analog outputs, assuming that one still needs those things.

Are you sure? The UDP800 doesn't, but the 900 does.

Magnatar-UDP900-e1684356470123.png

I have an AVR with ESS DACs and handles HDMI audio. I don't need a 205, the combination of a 203 and my AVR does everything I need and sounds fantastic. The Arcam AVR31 is a significant step up from what I had before.

I understand why people sticking with analogue multi channel audio systems or legacy quad systems want a 205. But I jumped the other way to HDMI audio. My previous AVR was on its last legs so it wasn't like I was abandoning good equipment.
You have a very fine system, Owen. I guess I wanted the 205 as having worked my way up the OPPO line [I have five of them] I just wanted to 'invest' in Oppo's final 'statement' player....their Swan Song...and I'm happy I did!

I guess I wanted the 205 as having worked my way up the OPPO line [I have five of them] I just wanted to 'invest' in Oppo's final 'statement' player....their Swan Song...and I'm happy I did!
I know the feeling, I wanted a 205 myself. But having missed buying a brand new one there's been no time since then when the price has been remotely sensible. And I could have used the USB audio input last week from my work laptop, instead of using the laptop's mediocre analogue headphone output into my AVR.

That's the way it works....supply and demand......the demand is high and the supply is low the price level raises...and in Oppo's case....the supply isn't just low..it's limited since production stopped....

I think what most people liked about the Oppo's were how many things you could do with just one device....and at a reasonable price point....there were more upscale devices in the marketplace but none that did as much..

I started out with the DV970HD. I just love this unit. I like the design.. Then followed with a 83, 93 and then 203. I skipped the 103 and I can't remember why.
They all stilled worked until I got the next one but I wonder if the earlier units could be sent in to OPPO for maintenance service.

I think what most people liked about the Oppo's were how many things you could do with just one device....and at a reasonable price point....there were more upscale devices in the marketplace but none that did as much..
I bought my 105D because it supposedly had the best audio and video specs in the industry. The fact that it can play from a thumb drive or the network (or from its HDMI input) are plusses. I would have bought it without that stuff. But it’s nice that it has that, and I use them often. The Darbee stuff never impressed me, though.

I started out with the DV970HD. I just love this unit. I like the design.. Then followed with a 83, 93 and then 203. I skipped the 103 and I can't remember why.
They all stilled worked until I got the next one but I wonder if the earlier units could be sent in to OPPO for maintenance service.
I have high confidence that they would. Warranties are all expired, though, so it won’t be free. Send them an email and see.

If you had a 93/95 (which added 3D playback) all the 103/105 added was some online streaming services and the digital inputs. Similarly all the 103D/105D added was the Darbee processing.

Started out with an 83, still have it today… stationed at the cottage for movie watching on rainy days! Second was a 103 Darby Edition, when I upgraded my TV of the day for 3D movies. I sold the 103DE and used the proceeds to buy a 203, which I am still using to watch 4K movies and play multichannel music in my home theatre. Most recent pick up was an 83SE with a BurrBrown Op Amp / DAC upgrade that I use to play stereo music on disc.

Back