SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooh... what a curious release out of leftfield!! πŸ˜±πŸ‘€

what's most interesting (to me anyway πŸ˜‚ ) about this one is that it was never originally released on SQ Quad LP or Q8 Quad 8-track back in the day, Audio Fidelity gave the Quad it's first official airing on Surround SACD in 2016..!! 🀯

oh yes, that and there are actually two distinct Quad mixes.. neither of which saw official release in the 70's. the other's on a 4-ch 'Robin Reel', iirc.. 🀯

i'm guessing this will utilise the mix Audio Fidelity used and that's streaming in Dolby Audio on Apple Music at the moment.

oh yeah.. and also quite excitingly it opens up the possibility of other Sony Quads that never saw release back in the day maybe making it out on 7" Sony Japan SACD... like Edgar Winter's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix, maybe..!? πŸ€”
IDK, weird AF right? Sure I've got the AF SACD, but rarely play it. Lovely album though.

and Jerry who?

edit- oh right, lead singer for 'White Trash'

Last edited:
Oh you mean it's something that is easy to fix? Thank goodness.
Not really. It's an issue of what they decided to put in each of the two speakers. I think one of the channels was a full drum kit and the other was... maybe bass guitar? I forget, but it wasn't an issue of something simply being mixed too quietly overall, or in being presented incorrectly.

Love the album, hate the quad mix. The balance between the two back channels is really really frustrating to me; it's absolutely lopsided.
with Drums in the Rear Left and Bass in the Rear Right, you mean?

fwiw, there's a fair number of CBS Quads mixed that way.

one Quad mixing team back in the day (Dick Bogert & Warren Vincent at A&M) mixed almost exclusively that way in fact, by mixing Drums predominantly in one Rear (almost always in the Rear Right) and Bass in the other Rear (Rear Left).

a theory that's been posited is they were mixed that way for cars with Quad 8-track and 4-channel systems πŸ€”

i don't know about that, having never heard Quad in a car πŸ˜” but i absolutely love this style of mixing Quad, it so beautifully showcases the rhythm section.

i also have found these types of mixes can pinpoint an overloud Rear or Rears and/or imbalanced Rear channels in some setups, if the Rears overwhelm the Fronts or one Rear is much more prominent than the other πŸ‘€

not suggesting that is happening for you, if you just don't like the mixing approach that's absolutely groovy of course! 🀩

with Drums in the Rear Left and Bass in the Rear Right, you mean?

fwiw, there's a fair number of CBS Quads mixed that way.

one Quad mixing team back in the day (Dick Bogert & Warren Vincent at A&M) mixed almost exclusively that way in fact, by mixing Drums predominantly in one Rear (almost always in the Rear Right) and Bass in the other Rear (Rear Left).

a theory that's been posited is they were mixed that way for cars with Quad 8-track and 4-channel systems πŸ€”

i don't know about that, having never heard Quad in a car πŸ˜” but i absolutely love this style of mixing Quad, it so beautifully showcases the rhythm section.

i also have found these types of mixes can pinpoint an overloud Rear or Rears and/or imbalanced Rear channels in some setups, if the Rears overwhelm the Fronts or one Rear is much more prominent than the other πŸ‘€

not suggesting that is happening for you, if you just don't like the mixing approach that's absolutely groovy of course! 🀩
The old Quad mixes work well in the car, as placement like you mention means you can hear its coming from a particular channel - I like listening to the Doobies Quads in the car.

Not really. It's an issue of what they decided to put in each of the two speakers. I think one of the channels was a full drum kit and the other was... maybe bass guitar? I forget, but it wasn't an issue of something simply being mixed too quietly overall, or in being presented incorrectly.
yeah that's it, Drums/Bass Rears Quad πŸ‘Œ

there's a thread somewhere here at QQ dedicated to weedling out those exact mixes.

they're definitely a "Marmite" kinda mix style. some people love 'em, others loathe them! ☺️

fortunately i love the brown sticky stuff (Marmite that is! not a stick. or a stick insect. or a sticky bun. or a stick insect that got stuck to a stick that got stuck on a sticky bun) πŸ˜³πŸ˜›

(n.b. Marmite is a brown gooey sticky ol' yeast extract spread from the UK you can smeeeearrrr over your hot buttered toast in zee mornink, if you're so inclined β˜€οΈπŸ˜Ž πŸ˜‹πŸ‘€ )

The old Quad mixes work well in the car, as placement like you mention means you can hear its coming from a particular channel - I like listening to the Doobies Quads in the car.
oh Duncy baby!!! πŸ₯° on that sterling recommendation i must find a car i can play the Doobies Quadio in immediately -- if not sooner!!! πŸ˜…πŸ«‘

QQ thread discussion on Bass/Drum Rear channels type o'Quad mixes like the upcoming Laura Nyro Sony Japan 7" SACD;

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nt-in-old-quad-mixes.25511/page-3#post-392665
product image 2

Coming November 27th ........ To buy or NOT to buy since I do love the Audio Fidelity QUAD SACD! NOTE: ONLY the CD layer contains BONUS tracks!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10156

Laura Nyro: Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

SACD

if it's the alternative unreleased Quad mix from the Robin Reels i'm in, otherwise.. ah i dunno, Ralphlie.. bah, i'll probably succumb eventually πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€£
Hey, $30 ... the same list price as the Audio Fidelity SACD and QUAD [DSD 256] remastered from I would imagine the original Columbia analogue masters!

Back