Sony strikes deal to acquire Pink Floyd catalog in $400 million deal, say sources

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno...

Once 'all' the rights have been purchased, any Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour issues and obstacles will be nullified as they'll no longer get a say in what happens to "their" music as it wont belong to them anymore.

Presumably the reason the catalog has been for sale for the last year or two is that the only thing they can agree on is that they're tired of the "forever battle" and selling up is the best way out. It's worth noting that the deal doesn't include the publishing which means they still stand to make more royalties from subsequent revenue, they just won't have control over how the catalog is utilised/monetised to generate it.

I can foresee THE WALL being released soon in Dolby ATMOS with James Guthrie's [supposedly] completed 5.1 remix included and so there's no liner notes controversy between Gilmour and Waters, they will be AI generated!

Welcome to the Machine .... indeed!
While on the ai train what's to stop them attempting to ai isolate the stems from original stereo mix to create the atmos and 5.1 mixes.

Or better yet put all of pf's back catalogue into an ai then train it to generate brand new pf music!

Disclaimer in case you couldn't tell this comment was satire as they'd have to be crazy to consider that and have a real need for the money they just spent.

Last edited:
I think it's probably a positive thing. All the childish nonsense that both Waters and Gilmour have engaged in won't be an obstacle holding up future releases.

My guess is that the next thing will be probably be that Dark Side live in '94 that Alan Parsons recently mixed. And then I imagine they'll move on to Wish You Were Here 50th anniversary stuff. Maybe we'll get an Atmos mix of that. And then possibly The Wall after that.

And SONY is pretty good at releasing stand alone BD~As so I'm sure they'll dig deep into PF's early catalogue as well and release everything eventually in ATMOS.

I think it's probably a positive thing. All the childish nonsense that both Waters and Gilmour have engaged in won't be an obstacle holding up future releases.

My guess is that the next thing will be probably be that Dark Side live in '94 that Alan Parsons recently mixed. And then I imagine they'll move on to Wish You Were Here 50th anniversary stuff. Maybe we'll get an Atmos mix of that. And then possibly The Wall after that.
Could we see any future stereo remixes of Dark side, and Wish You Were Here since I assume the band would no longer be involved?

Presumably the reason the catalog has been for sale for the last year or two is that the only thing they can agree on is that they're tired of the "forever battle" and selling up is the best way out. It's worth noting that the deal doesn't include the publishing which means they still stand to make more royalties from subsequent revenue, they just won't have control over how the catalog is utilised/monetised to generate it.
Incorrect, if the band retains ownership / control of the song publishing rights then they can still stop to a song from being used where they don't want it used, like a film or tv commercial. Both the recording master owner and the publisher must both agree on licensing that particular original recording.

If the given song is re-recorded, then only the publisher needs to approve, and not the master owner (Sony). PF will still have a lot of control over the future uses.

Back