Streaming Atmos: Do you lose any fidelity with a Tidal Atmos stream compared to a Blu-ray Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears like a lot of people wanted to go down this rabbit hole. 😉
Guy, you know you could've bet the mortgage on it!

I had my hearing tested last month. Fortunately, my hearing is just fine up to test limit of 8000 Hz. The tests were quite extensive. (I do know that 10k is about my current limit with on-line tests.)

Regardless, there is a lot of good information about the Widex Moment hearing aid.

I think it's the opposite. It took me a long time to seek help as I didn't want to know that I had a hearing issue.

The Widex Moment is chosen by most musicians so it was a fairly easy pick given that.

This relates to the timing of when you decided you needed help, not whether or not you did it eventually, and this would have no effect on whether or not your physician would have seen your case.

The alternative hypotheses are that 'audiophiles' blast their music at hearing-damaging levels and/or people with poorer baseline hearing or age-related hearing loss trajectories self-select for being audiophiles, neither of which seem very plausible.

I thought this end of hi-fi was aimed more at doctors and lawyers than construction workers and artillery range commanders? But then there's the weird stuff in the back pages of the hi-fi mags that's clearly aimed at people that apparently can't hear very well. Some of us are musicians. Large brass sections, cymbals, and rock guitar amp and rock snare can do damage. I started wearing musicians plugs on stage last century. Then my drummer got a v-drum kit and we could play at home hi-fi level of loud instead of hearing damage loud. Then I seemed to find myself behind the mixing board and forgot how to play guitar or something. I'd probably only ever play with a drummer with electronics now. Also I like the batshit crazy insanity you can program into those! They do suck and are highly embarrassing when trying to mimic real drum sounds. I believe I've digressed more than usual! Where was I going... Oh, I was still able to hear the 18k test tones I was putting through my tweeters the other day. Might have had to turn it up a smidge.

This lossy business...
Surround sound expanding to 12 or more channels is just about the most decadent artiste aimed thing I've ever heard of! Stunning to see this level of creativity in this plastic corporate world! Now someone wants to see how much they can step on the fidelity and get away with it?! You drink your fine wine in a red plastic party cup too? This isn't for you! This isn't about penny pinching. This is about being decadent! And when mono and stereo wipes the floor with the remains of your experiments and is more immersive than what's left of your multichannel mix, that's a clue something has gone wrong.

I'll still listen to stuff. I'll listen to stuff on ratty equipment in a pinch. The main midrange delivers a lot of content. It should anyway. I'll listen to a blown out audience recording of a band if I'm interested. (Anyone walking into the room might say "What the hell is that noise?!") But you're gonna get some shit if you do wierd lossy shit to surround recordings!

This relates to the timing of when you decided you needed help, not whether or not you did it eventually, and this would have no effect on whether or not your physician would have seen your case.

The alternative hypotheses are that 'audiophiles' blast their music at hearing-damaging levels and/or people with poorer baseline hearing or age-related hearing loss trajectories self-select for being audiophiles, neither of which seem very plausible.
And of course the longer you wait to seek help, the worse your hearing is likely to be.

Yes! Because true Atmos is the terrific UNCOMPRESSED Dolby TrueHD format and streaming is the much inferior Dolby Digital Plus compressed format. There's a significant bit-rate difference between the two...so depending on your hearing and system there's a correspondingly significant audio quality difference. The dynamics of the real thing is unsurpassed.

However, that said, it's much easier to come up with a streaming version so better something than nothing as the saying goes. But I *always* check to see if there's a real version of the streaming album (such as the case with the new Pet Shop Boys Nonetheless)

Interestingly enough this is what my Otolaryngologist says. He says from his experience people who say they are Audiophiles have the worst degradation in their hearing. I had 75% loss in my left ear due to a broken ear drum. My other ear had no issues with a normal frequency spectrum. This is the guy who put me onto the Widex Moment hearing aid. They are excellent and music with the left side hearing aid sounds the same as the right ear which has no hearing aid. It's profound. I'm back to hearing like when I was younger. They make a huge difference with surround sound. Anyone who has hearing loss should look into these. They aren't cheap (in Canada about $3500 each with support included). Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

Widex Moments. Game changing for me too! I can hear reverb tails again, among many other things.

Latest posts

Back