Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" (new Blu-Ray Audio release out in July; A24 Blu-Ray of film now available)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No news on a home release of the remaster… but A24 did just upload this:

Official A24 produced Stop Making Sense Tribute Album, 16 artists covering 16 songs. Only confirmed artist so far is Paramore on Track 1 (presumably Psycho Killer)
Sneaky edit. Checked blu-ray.com, seems like the official Talking Heads facebook claims a 4K release is coming this year:

Last edited:
No news on a home release of the remaster… but A24 did just upload this:

Official A24 produced Stop Making Sense Tribute Album, 16 artists covering 16 songs. Only confirmed artist so far is Paramore on Track 1 (presumably Psycho Killer)
Sneaky edit. Checked blu-ray.com, seems like the official Talking Heads facebook claims a 4K release is coming this year:

Excellent News, PM. And it's not unusual for A24 via their own website to offer deluxe editions of their releases as they did with THE LIGHTHOUSE, THE GREEN KNIGHT, MIDSOMMAR and TALK TO ME!

Talk To Me Party Hand

I read somewhere the 4K UHD release will be exclusive to A24 online.

I’m not going to wait to find out. As soon as I can order from A24 I’m in.
I saw it at the iMax in Melbourne. The visuals are so much better than the current Blu-ray. Hard to compare the audio between home and cinema but I would expect it to be the same of the Atmos we can now find on Tidal?

The visuals are so much better than the current Blu-ray

My local theatre confirmed they didn’t have an Atmos system so I pulled out.

but I would expect it to be the same of the Atmos we can now find on Tidal?

I’d think same mix as now on streaming but Atmos TrueHD (lossless)!

Which reminds me that there are some TrueHD Atmos encodes that reduce the size of the encode, not sure if this is done by reducing the bit depth (technically still lossless) or by ‘throwing out data we don’t hear’ like Dolby Digital Plus does (technically lossy). Anyway, not the place for this discussion but I discovered this recently in the Dolby encoder docs.

Blu-ray.com has the release date as January 27 (and A24 exclusive release):

1705657102293.png

I have a 4K setup and no doubt this will look fantastic. However, I am seriously considering the standard non-4K blu-ray instead of the UHD since I do not have the ability to rip UHD to my server. I expect the Atmos soundtrack will be the same on both discs. Would love a combo pack of both discs but I don't see that as an offered option.

As much as anything, I'm curious about what the special features for this version will be. The original DVD and Blu-Ray have a commentary with Jonathan Demme and the band (all recorded separately and edited together), two songs originally deleted from the movie ("Cities" and "Big Business/I Zimbra"), a weird David Byrne self-interview (which I can't imagine will be on the new release because it includes a scene of Byrne in blackface, which he apologized for a few years back), and a storyboard-to-film comparison.

I suspect they'll include the Toronto reunion Q&A from last year, but I hope A24 maybe will spring for some Criterion-like features as far as outside perspectives on the band and movie.

Are they releasing a stand blu-ray?

MakeMKV can use any 4K BD drive I think. They’re not expensive.
In addition, most “regular” BD drives are secretly 4K or “4K Friendly” drives in disguise! There’s a thread on the MakeMKV forums for flashing the firmware on your drive to make it “turn into” a 4K drive. I just did it to my “4K Friendly” LG drive the other day
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19634

When they first cracked 4K BD encryption, back in 2018 or 19 I think it was, I rushed out and bought two 4K drives that were on the list of ‘supported’, one for a backup, just in case the first died. Back then I thought the manufacturers would fix the firmware and there would be no more new 4K drives I could use in the future. It turned out they found a way to load cracked firmware onto most drives. Anyway I still have both drives.

Sorry if I'm not understanding what I read are there any new indications as to availability if you're not a theater goer on one of those special expenses whether it will not maybe but definitively be available either through the 824 film site or hell for me even better things like Amazon or other more widely accessible distributors I don't want to miss out on a 4K video so I'm eager to find out where I can get it since I can't attend any of these events in person.

Sorry if I'm not understanding what I read are there any new indications as to availability if you're not a theater goer on one of those special expenses whether it will not maybe but definitively be available either through the 824 film site or hell for me even better things like Amazon or other more widely accessible distributors I don't want to miss out on a 4K video so I'm eager to find out where I can get it since I can't attend any of these events in person.
From the sounds of things:
A24 is putting it back in theaters in select cities. On that same day, this upcoming Saturday the 27th they are going to be putting up the 4K blu ray for preorder on their store. People at the theater showings have the ability to get “exclusive merch” (unclear if this will be on the A24 web store), as well as pre-order the 4K disc.
The way its been worded + blu-ray.com listings seems to imply that it is exclusive to the A24 web store and that people who are seeing it in theaters have the opportunity to pre-order if desired… along with those of us at home

In short: someone will probably post the link here the moment it’s up, no need to go to theaters if you want. I also highly doubt they’ll sell out, considering this is perhaps the most in-demand A24 title in their history (my guess for second would probably be Everything Everywhere All At Once)

In addition, most “regular” BD drives are secretly 4K or “4K Friendly” drives in disguise! There’s a thread on the MakeMKV forums for flashing the firmware on your drive to make it “turn into” a 4K drive. I just did it to my “4K Friendly” LG drive the other day
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19634
Unfortunately, my blu-ray drive pre-dates 2014 so it looks like I’ll need to be on the lookout for a new external drive that can handle 4K rips. Hoping the prices will come down from what I’m seeing. Or I’ll just stick to playing those discs exclusively through my UHD disc player.

Back