SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed this organ recording of popular pieces from the Baroque era. This one is a little different in that several of the pieces have been arranged by organist Jens-Christian Ludwig to include a variety of instruments to accompany the organ (or perhaps it’s actually the other way around). The music includes works by Charpentier, Händel, Clarke/Purcell, Clarke, CPE Bach, JS Bach, Telemann, Bach/Gounod

Jens-Christian Ludwig (Beckerath organ 'Opus 1' of St. Elisabeth, Hamburg)
Veronika Pünder (soprano, timpani)
Andrea Hummel (viola)
Torsten Lischke (violin)
Jörg Thierfelder (flute)
Jens Cyrkel (cello)
Chiara Amélie Ludwig (harp)

F6102078-D539-4D9A-9657-1E784EC8B937.jpeg

Here’s a helpful review. ORGELPUNKT - Various Composers - Jens-Christian Ludwig (Organ) - MDG - 760623222769

"That is why TSoT decided to make the format "Discrete Immersive" available on the productions that are natively recorded like that. 10 channels of uncompressed native DXD, in the 5.1+4 Immersive format. For the amount of €79,95 you can purchase those (large!) files and enjoy the same quality as it was intended from the start."
🤔

"That is why TSoT decided to make the format "Discrete Immersive" available on the productions that are natively recorded like that. 10 channels of uncompressed native DXD, in the 5.1+4 Immersive format. For the amount of €79,95 you can purchase those (large!) files and enjoy the same quality as it was intended from the start."
🤔
Hm. I too am scratching my chin. And if anyone can convince me that I will hear a difference between DSD64 or 24/96 PCM and native uncompressed DXD, I'll just give them €80.

A Breathtaking, superbly recorded Aram Khachaturian recital from Andrew Litton conducting the BBC National Orchestra of Wales with Jordanian~Palestinian Pianist Iyad Sughayer [BIS/Multi~CH SACD]

BBC Music Magazine
December 2022​

Praise be to Jordanian-Palestinian pianist Iyad Sughayer, Andrew Litton conducting a BBC National Orchestra of Wales on top form and the conductor’s regular producer Andrew Keener for keeping it all [Concerto-Rhapsody] as clean and clear as possible. The same goes for this performance of the better-known Piano Concerto...The listener’s interest is held through sequences that have previously felt turgid to me.
5 out of 5 stars

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9367966--khachaturian-the-concertante-works-for-piano

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiOTM2Nzk2Ni4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE2NjAyMTYzMTJ9

Last edited:
And what should arrive today from JPC.de for the uncanny price of €9.99 consisting of 4 RBCDs and a PURE AUDIO BD~A in ATMOS/Auro 3D

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/charming-cello/hnum/11093055
Charming Cello (Komplett-Set exklusiv für jpc), 4 CDs and 1 Blu-ray Audio
I got mine already, The Tchakovsky is the one containing a Blu-ray. With Auro-3D & Atmos. Mainly Soloing instruments in front occasionally joined by other instruments in the surrounds and rears, pleasant enough, only listened to each of them a couple of times (lots of other new stuff all arrived at the same time) it goes without saying that it's fantastic value.

I got mine already, The Tchakovsky is the one containing a Blu-ray. With Auro-3D & Atmos. Mainly Soloing instruments in front occasionally joined by other instruments in the surrounds and rears, pleasant enough, only listened to each of them a couple of times (lots of other new stuff all arrived at the same time) it goes without saying that it's fantastic value.
I just played it through twice, the second time because I realised I forgot to turn on my rear height speakers, turning them on improved my listen a lot, I prefer the Tchakovsky over the Gulda.

It is beautiful but it is hard for me to get used to the use of English since the style strongly suggests it should not be.
First and FOREMOST, HAPPY B~DAY Kal. Since NOT all of us are well versed in archaic dialects, I find it most refreshing and the performances are certainly first rate not to mention SoundMirror's exquisite recording powess!

Last edited:
First and FOREMOST, HAPPY B~DAY Kal.
Thanks but, as they say, I've had few.
Since NOT all of us are well versed in archaic dialects, I find it most refreshing and the performances are certainly first rate not to mention SoundMirror's exquisite recording powess!
I am not well-versed in any of the relevant archaic or contemporary dialects but I find that understanding the words explicitely is distracting to me.

Thanks but, as they say, I've had few.

I am not well-versed in any of the relevant archaic or contemporary dialects but I find that understanding the words explicitely is distracting to me.
That's certainly an unusual response, Kal... unless the 'distracting words' are either jibberish or lack credible translations!

That's certainly an unusual response, Kal... unless the 'distracting words' are either jibberish or lack credible translations!
In this particular genre, I am used to not understanding the words whether they are in Latin or Russian or whatever so the use of English sticks out. OTOH, I am not one who needs to understand the lyrics in order to appreciate the music. This is in clear distinction to how my wife feels. For her, the lyrics tell the story.

An UNMITIGATED success in absolutely ravishing discrete sonics......The clarity is astounding. Thank you Michael D for a Wizardly Release in time for the holidays

My second listen.......An astonishing success and the discrete QUAD mastering is truly OTHERWORLDLY

THREEPENNY OPERA • ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING (1976)  [SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

THREEPENNY OPERA • ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING (1976)​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]​

Last edited:
I am not one who needs to understand the lyrics in order to appreciate the music. This is in clear distinction to how my wife feels. For her, the lyrics tell the story.
Men and women feel different about something. Now where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, in a romantic comedy with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. “Melody“ is the sex and “lyrics” are the romantic story. Life is so simple, isn’t it!! LOL!! 😉🤣🥰

Here’s one for fans of piano concertos and sonatas in the vein of Mozart and Haydn. Josef Mysliveček is new to me. He was an older contemporary of Mozart whom the young Wolfgang admired. Being one of those transitional composers between the Baroque and Classical eras, he is similar to Johann Christian Bach. His music was popular during his lifetime but (as is so often the case) was forgotten after his death. This is a pity because judging from the works on this lovely recording his music is full of charm and wit. Clare Hammond on piano and the Swedish Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Paul McGegan give brilliant performances. The surround recording is not actively discrete but provides a naturally immersive soundstage.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...mozarts-hammond-swedish-orchestra-mcgegan-bis
7406A43D-1E98-44D5-8CCF-6B8C7A50FEEC.jpeg

Well, IMO, this is certainly one ODD DUCK release from Dutton Epoch. I've listened to it twice and cannot 'warm' up to the opening tracks: William Walton/Edith Sitwell [lyrics] FACADE admirably conducted by Arthur Fiedler with 'animated' narration by actor Tony Randall...albeit in sumptuous sonics.

However the Multi~CH SACD's remainder is gorgeous and indeed Michael Dutton has remixed these chestnuts with loving care into discrete Multi~CH!

Recommended if you can tolerate and/or overlook Walton's FACADE!

Walton: Façade - Randall, Fiedler

SACD

Dutton CDLX 7394
Stereo/Multichannel Hybrid
Classical - Chamber
Walton: Façade*
Britten: Suite on English Folk Songs^
Vaughan-Williams: Fantasia on Greensleeves^
Berkeley: Guitar Concerto**

Tony Randall* (narrator)
Julian Bream** (guitar)
Columbia Chamber Ensemble*
New York Philharmonic Orchestra^
The Monteverdi Orchestra**
Arthur Fiedler*, Leonard Bernstein^ & John Eliot Gardiner** (conductors)

Last edited:
I picked this one up at a year end sale at my local music shop and have been pleasantly surprised with it. Like Josef Mysliveček, Giovanni Benedetto Platti is another forgotten composer from the 18th century. With his use of counterpoint, etc…, his style feels rooted mostly in that of other Italian Baroque masters, such as Vivaldi. In fact, Platti’s Trios at times remind me of Vivaldi’s wonderful cello sonatas due to Platti giving the second solo part to a cello rather than the more typical violin. They have a laidback, lyrical mood that hints at the simplicity of the coming Classical era. Armoniosa performs these trio sonatas beautifully. I like the varied use of accompanying instruments, harpsichord and organ. I suppose they could have even made it better by adding a lute or theorbo, but this is a minor point. The surround mix is not aggressively discrete, but has a warm, naturally immersive soundstage.

https://earlymusicreview.com/platti-6-trio-sonatas-for-violin-violoncello-and-continuo/
88BD9121-294A-4207-BF4E-1275DB09838F.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that the only Cappella Romana recording that I have is the Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia. What other surround releases are recommended?

Back