The Cure "Songs of a Lost World" (New Album available in Dolby Atmos in November!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition, this notice does not constitute a waiver of any right to recover damages incurred by virtue of any unauthorised activities described in this notice, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are hereby expressly reserved.
:poop: I'm half tempted to phone them up tomorrow and ask them if The Cure lose sales due to the action of the IFPI limiting free advance publicity will they pay The Cure damages? :devilish:

Because 🌟GRAPHIC DESIGN IS MY PASSION🌟 I whipped up this little placeholder graphic that should do the trick until The Cure's legal team come to their senses, and should be protected under fair use doctrine being for the purposes of at least one of "research, private study, education, satire, parody, criticism, review, or news reporting."

View attachment 109566
Mount Rushmore is suing for its image back.

Sounds like a typical first song on a Cure album to me. I'm happy to hear such unhappiness in song form again (but Robert, maybe trim about a minute off that intro, eh?).
I saw them in Chicago last year open their set at Riot Fest with this. Robert stood there scrutinizing the audience for what felt like a really long time before ever singing his first note of the evening.

I saw them in Chicago last year open their set at Riot Fest with this. Robert stood there scrutinizing the audience for what felt like a really long time before ever singing his first note of the evening.

In the live video on page 1, he does the same thing. It's kind of uncomfortable, honestly

Atmos mix for the single is up on streaming, haven't had a chance to hear, but on Tidal it is credited to Oli Morgan. He is best known (to me) for his remix work with Giles Martin on the Atmos mixes of Abbey Road, Red Rose Speedway, and Band on the Run. He's done some other work on modern releases from Victor Ray, FKJ, and Sam Smith as well. All those mixes are kind of hit-or-miss in my opinion, so I have no idea what to expect. Hope this one is more of a hit.

Listening now
At first, I thought the rears and the rear heights were 'Alone'
But they are used further into the track (y)
A slightly conservative mix...
But
It is The Cure in surround!!

In fairness, this song is pretty sparse and doesn't have a lot going on. A primary key track with a few secondary key flourishes, one guitar, drums, bass, and vocals. Robert's vocals are often delayed and reverbed like crazy, so there's room for those in other channels.

I'd expect other songs to have more, but 5.1 is probably sufficient for most Cure songs. They are very good at creating huge textures/sounds with the bare bones basics.

I think he did that at all the shows last year. In Dallas, he went to the far left and right sides of the stage and stayed there for a bit. I was under the impression he was doing it so people who were farther away could get pictures of him. At least, that's what everyone around me was doing.

Back