The Who By Numbers multitracks located

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Didn't realize that they were presumed missing, but this article in today's New York Times states that the multitracks were recently returned to Townshend. Here's the relevant portion.

In late 2020, Brian Kehew was working at the venerable Hollywood studio Sunset Sound when the owner asked him to help identify some tapes the Who had left behind. It was not an unusual request for Kehew, who has done tape transfers and mixes on hundreds of archival recording projects over the last 30 years, and serves as a tech and sometime backing musician for the band. He expected to find some overdubs or a safety copy of a master, nothing particularly important.

When he got his hands on the reels, he was shocked: The studio was sitting on all the original two-inch multitracks of the group’s 1975 album, “The Who by Numbers,” as well as previously unreleased songs from those sessions.

“I immediately contacted Pete Townshend, and we arranged to send the tapes back to England,” Kehew, a blond-haired Southern California native, said in a recent interview at his North Hollywood studio, which was lined with rare, vintage and obsolete tape machines. “The band had been looking for the tapes for years, but this was one place they hadn’t thought to check.”

Some great tunes on this one. "However Much I Booze," "Dreaming From The Waist," "Imagine A Man," "Blue Red and Grey," and "How Many Friends" are personal favorites. Surround would be most welcome, although this album is definitely less densely layered than those preceding it (Quadrophenia, Who's Next, and Tommy).

Didn't realize that they were presumed missing, but this article in today's New York Times states that the multitracks were recently returned to Townshend. Here's the relevant portion.

In late 2020, Brian Kehew was working at the venerable Hollywood studio Sunset Sound when the owner asked him to help identify some tapes the Who had left behind. It was not an unusual request for Kehew, who has done tape transfers and mixes on hundreds of archival recording projects over the last 30 years, and serves as a tech and sometime backing musician for the band. He expected to find some overdubs or a safety copy of a master, nothing particularly important.

When he got his hands on the reels, he was shocked: The studio was sitting on all the original two-inch multitracks of the group’s 1975 album, “The Who by Numbers,” as well as previously unreleased songs from those sessions.

“I immediately contacted Pete Townshend, and we arranged to send the tapes back to England,” Kehew, a blond-haired Southern California native, said in a recent interview at his North Hollywood studio, which was lined with rare, vintage and obsolete tape machines. “The band had been looking for the tapes for years, but this was one place they hadn’t thought to check.”
That's a really great article, actually. Kehew's firm is called "Master Tape Rescue," and the article--at least the online version--is titled "Lost Tapes From Major Musicians Are Out There. These Guys Find Them." (Print version: "Musical Riches Are Waiting To Be Found.")

I think we could all name a few such lost tapes we'd like to see them ferret out. (My first pleas to them: follow the sound of the angular banjoes. Get your super-sleuth senses working overtime, already!)

Kehew's partner Danny White says they're not in it for the money: "We’re doing this more out of a sense of history, and hopefully help find some cool stuff that’s just been collecting dust for decades.”

Here's a "gift" version for non-subscribers who have exhausted their monthly quota of free articles.

Last edited:
Some great tunes on this one. "However Much I Booze," "Dreaming From The Waist," "Imagine A Man," "Blue Red and Grey," and "How Many Friends" are personal favorites. Surround would be most welcome, although this album is definitely less densely layered than those preceding it (Quadrophenia, Who's Next, and Tommy).
An underrated The Who album. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I also like Slip Kid, the pretty waltz They Are All In Love, and the silly Squeeze Box. So what is that, like almost the whole album? :)

That's a really great article, actually. Kehew's firm is called "Master Tape Rescue," and the article--at least the online version--is titled "Lost Tapes From Major Musicians Are Out There. These Guys Find Them." (Print version: "Musical Riches Are Waiting To Be Found.")

I think we could all name a few such lost tapes we'd like to see them ferret out. (My first pleas to them: follow the sound of the angular banjoes. Get your super-sleuth senses working overtime, already!)

Kehew's partner Danny White says they're not in it for the money: "We’re doing this more out of a sense of history, and hopefully help find some cool stuff that’s just been collecting dust for decades.”

Here's a "gift" version for non-subscribers who have exhausted their monthly quota of free articles.
More on Master Tape Rescue in the July 2024 Mix magazine (scroll to p. 32):
https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/mix571.digital_july_2024

Back