Steven Wilson The Who - Who Are You (Steven Wilson Atmos Mix forthcoming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 tracks sucked. I probably had a hundred of them before I switched to vinyl and then CD.
Cassettes were awesome because you could make your own mixtapes and they sounded pretty decent. I never bought any pre-recorded cassettes.

No. I can’t say I even remember that.
It was this contraption. kraco-cassette-8-track-adapter-1024x909.jpg

Check out The Who At Kilburn 1977 Blu-ray that was filmed in front of an invited crowd as the show was recorded in December of 1977 for The Kids Are Alright film. This gives you a good idea of where The Who were at towards the completion of the 'Who Are You" LP. My understanding was that Pete wasn't happy with the performance thus explaining its decades late release but to these eyes and ears, they were still "bringing it" live better than most...Long Live Rock!

I was checking out the track listings in the PETE TOWNSHEND "Live in Concert 1985-2001". Is there another venue called the Fillmore because CD's 5 & 6 are listed as being from the Fillmore 30 April 1996. Both east and west closed in 1971.

The Fillmore in San Francisco did indeed close in the early 1970's but was re-opened on April 27, 1994 and is NOT to be missed as it is a fantastic venue. The poster room is also located within the confines of the Fillmore and serves as the curator and museum for the original concert/event posters that Bill Graham used to advertise upcoming shows throughout the Bay Area in the 1960's and 1970's.

This was my first Who album. I was 14 and got it in a trade for a Suzi Quatro album in 1980, freshman year of high school.
The same story for me except for Suzi Quatro. I borrowed a friend's copy and dropped a bat on it, so had to buy them a new one. My vinyl had a skip in Guitar and Pen and a silver smudge on it.

Last edited:
The same story for me except for Sun Quatro. I borrowed a friends copy and dropped a bat on it, so had to buy them a new one. My vinyl had a skip in Guitar and Pen and a silver smudge on int.
Not surprised at all by this story as MCA was one of if not the worst of the major labels when it came to vinyl pressing quality (or lack there of!). I worked in three (3) different record stores throughout college (1986 through 1991, the Record Factory, Wherehouse & Spirit Records) and whether we are talking the "light blue rainbow", the "tan" or even older "black" label, it seemed MCA had a much higher return percentage due to warpage, pops, clicks and freakin' skips compared to the rest.

In the UK (and most of Europe) the album was released on Polydor Records. I don't remember it being particularly poor in sound or manufacturing quality. By contrast, the picture disc sounded truly awful.

I would love to have hear the dbx vinyl pressing...

You are absolutely correct as the Who were signed to Polydor in Europe and to MCA in North America. Unfortunately for us Yanks, we didn't get good pressings like our European friends.

In the UK (and most of Europe) the album was released on Polydor Records. I don't remember it being particularly poor in sound or manufacturing quality. By contrast, the picture disc sounded truly awful.

You are absolutely correct as the Who were signed to Polydor in Europe and to MCA in North America. Unfortunately for us Yanks, we didn't get good pressings like our European friends.

I must be lucky (or blessed) when it comes to this particular title. I got my first copy while I was living in Europe, so it was an excellent vinyl pressing. The second copy was the dbx vinyl pressing. The third was the 1987 German made CD with an average DR of 13. So I've never had to deal with a poor version of this album. And now we are getting the ultimate version with the Steven Wilson treatment. 🙏

I must be lucky (or blessed) when it comes to this particular title. I got my first copy while I was living in Europe, so it was an excellent vinyl pressing. The second copy was the dbx vinyl pressing. The third was the 1987 German made CD with an average DR of 13. So I've never had to deal with a poor version of this album. And now we are getting the ultimate version with the Steven Wilson treatment. 🙏
If you are now living in the States then I would say, with your luck, I would definitely take my chances playing the Lottery! All kidding aside, stateside Who fans repeatedly got the "shaft" from MCA whether it be vinyl or CD pressings and packaging.

Not surprised at all by this story as MCA was one of if not the worst of the major labels when it came to vinyl pressing quality (or lack there of!). I worked in three (3) different record stores throughout college (1986 through 1991, the Record Factory, Wherehouse & Spirit Records) and whether we are talking the "light blue rainbow", the "tan" or even older "black" label, it seemed MCA had a much higher return percentage due to warpage, pops, clicks and freakin' skips compared to the rest.
MCA certainly wasn't the best with regard to vinyl or pressing quality. But skips? The vast majority of the time that's a hardware issue, not the LP.

There's nothing necessarily special about those dbx vinyl pressings except a lower noise floor if you have a decoder. The mastering generally was nothing special.

The UK Polydor vinyl pressing is nice, but if I recall correctly the early US, UK, W. German, most of Europe, Canada, etc pressings all used the same STERLING cut. So any differences - at least in fidelity - would be very subtle.

Back