Thin Lizzy "1976" (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray with surround mixes of "Jailbreak" and Johnny the Fox")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the Blu Ray is definitely NOT the same. As far as I'm aware, we're not certain what exactly is on the box set Blu Ray (we know at the very least there's the Atmos mix and stereo remix on it). One thing we DO know is that it doesn't contain the instrumental mix of both albums, which is exclusive to the SDE release.
I've never been impressed by instrumental mixes of albums, that's not a winner for me.

For anyone who's interested, here's what's written on the boxed-sets Blu-ray disc: -

Attachments

• 02.00.png
    02.00.png
    778.1 KB · Views: 0
The 5 disc box set is pointless marketing. The other 4 discs are CDs, all that content could easily fit on the blu ray, but it looks like it isn't all on there. What a shame.
Par for the course with these sets, sadly.

I do have to say that I'm more intrigued by the box set than I was in the case of Ultravox (although the design of that looks ultra cool).

The Blu-Ray disc will cost me slightly over €40 (my browser says €40,84 but PayPal always has worse rates). The box set is currently at €55 on Amazon. So at the expense of the instrumental versions, I'd get five additional CDs plus the whole boxset package for about €15 more.

The Blu-Ray disc will cost me slightly over €40 (my browser says €40,84 but PayPal always has worse rates). The box set is currently at €55 on Amazon. So at the expense of the instrumental versions, I'd get five additional CDs plus the whole boxset package for about €15 more.
Yeah, import, exchange and shipping costs might change the equation. Being in the UK I can buy the SDE blu ray for £30 delivered.

I've never been impressed by instrumental mixes of albums, that's not a winner for me.
Owen, you mean that you don’t have multichannel karaoke nights at your house? Seriously, I like the instrumental mixes because they give me an alternate way to enjoy the music and concentrate on that part of the structure. Without the vocals and the emphasis on melody, the music presents differently to me.

No, the Blu Ray is definitely NOT the same. As far as I'm aware, we're not certain what exactly is on the box set Blu Ray (we know at the very least there's the Atmos mix and stereo remix on it). One thing we DO know is that it doesn't contain the instrumental mix of both albums, which is exclusive to the SDE release.
and for The blu ray photo, does it seems that the 5.1 mix is not included in the blu ray box either?

Last edited:
The Blu-ray disc releases of Vagabonds of the Western World offered different encodes. The standalone Blu-ray offered an 'instrumental mix' but the blu-ray in the boxed-set didn't...
From what I've read I believe it's the same with the SDE version of Jailbreak/Johnny The Fox - ie. additional instrumental versions.

Although the price of the box is only a little higher than the SDE edition, I have finally decided on the latter for the extra content (I hope it is confirmed that the 5.1 mix is also exclusive) and for completeness, since I have all the previous ones

Currently playing the Vagabonds bluray. The mix is pretty good in places, particularly the likes of Whiskey in the Jar, and enjoyable overall. If it's the same mixer, I wonder if this earlier album was just harder to work with for great Atmos results along the lines of separation and interesting channel activity. So what I'm saying is, I'm still looking forward to an at-least good, if not great, mix for this new bluray. :)

Last edited:
Assuming the blu ray in the boxset is identical to the SDE blu ray, which is far from certain.
I specifically quoted Paul's description of the box set. We already know that the blu-ray won't be identical since the set doesn't have the instrumentals.
I hope it is confirmed that the 5.1 mix is also exclusive
If that was the case, Paul would tout that as a reason to get the SDE exclusive...

Anyone by chance order an extra one that they are willing to sell. I inadvertently missed the window on this one and signed up to be notified if copies become available. Thanks

Back