Tropical Storm Debby Update: Mandrix and Snood are both okay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I got a text earlier today from Mandrix(the artist formerly known as Boondocks 😉). He lost internet and cell data, and his AC went out but he didn’t lose power. He’s working with an AC tech at this time. He has a lot of branches and leaves down but no serious property damage that he reports, at least so far. He’s bummed but, thankfully, not devastated.

Mandrix has also been in touch with Snood who verified that he and Momma Snood are both okay.

Thanks E!
That rascal hurricane hovered over us, stalled. My wife and I were sitting and looking out the window as a very big poplar tree was heaving back and forth. We actually had several trees of tall size that roots were lifted above the ground.
But I'm happy to report all is good. I had a generator to run during the power outage. Our Air Conditioning quit but we were lucky to get service fairly quickly after sweltering heat for a few days.
Finally got internet back online, and I had to bypass some of the ISP's wiring to a receptacle to finish the job.

Thanks E!
That rascal hurricane hovered over us, stalled. My wife and I were sitting and looking out the window as a very big poplar tree was heaving back and forth. We actually had several trees of tall size that roots were lifted above the ground.
But I'm happy to report all is good. I had a generator to run during the power outage. Our Air Conditioning quit but we were lucky to get service fairly quickly after sweltering heat for a few days.
Finally got internet back online, and I had to bypass some of the ISP's wiring to a receptacle to finish the job.
That certainly puts into perspective my amazement at last nights storm & wind blowing the plastic cover off my filter into the pond. We're lucky over here!

That certainly puts into perspective my amazement at last nights storm & wind blowing the plastic cover off my filter into the pond. We're lucky over here!
What sort of filter do you use? I only filter minimally with two mesh bags on the submersible pump. But I pump into the bottom of a 100 gallon stock tank (hidden by the waterfall). The heavier stuff settles out and I drain it. I have the tank input so that the water swirls along the bottom, and the overflow from a 3" closet fitting feeds the waterfall.
Works fairly good, I've had this setup for more than 20 years. Of course in the summer I have to treat the algae and float some barley bales in mesh bags to help keep it down.
First time ever, I dumped blue dye in the pond. Helps with the algae and with predator birds.

I went overboard! I'd spent so much on re-doing the front drive, patio & then building the 7000 litre pond (into the bit of the patio that had collapsed) it was in for a penny in for a pound. They recommended this one, water is clear, but doesn't stop blanket weed algae, so I've got a Barley straw ball in the water. My pond is still work-in-progress, need to build a waterfall, and a housing to hide the filter, it is large - so I'm thinking of something that looks like a Duck House, a Goose House might be more size wise! :LOL:

I got an Oase https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-...-filter-kits-c16/oase-biosmart-36000-set-p763

1723147801757.png

Last edited:
I went overboard! I'd spent so much on re-doing the front drive, patio & then building the 7000 litre pond (into the bit of the patio that had collapsed) it was in for a penny in for a pound. They recommended this one, water is clear, but doesn't stop blanket weed algae, so I've got a Barley straw ball in the water. My pond is still work-in-progress, need to build a waterfall, and a housing to hide the filter, it is large - so I'm thinking of something that looks like a Duck House, a Goose House might be more size wise! :LOL:

I got an Oase https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-...-filter-kits-c16/oase-biosmart-36000-set-p763

View attachment 108291
Wowsa! You did go all in! By my very rough estimate, my pond is about 1000 gallons, give or take. I just had to put a new pond liner in a few months ago, redo the mortar and rock placement down the sides and some on the waterfall. Was a lot of work for one old man but it's done now, and I've got some more Sego palms started on the sides from "pups" from the ones at the end.

Wowsa! You did go all in! By my very rough estimate, my pond is about 1000 gallons, give or take. I just had to put a new pond liner in a few months ago, redo the mortar and rock placement down the sides and some on the waterfall. Was a lot of work for one old man but it's done now, and I've got some more Sego palms started on the sides from "pups" from the ones at the end.
If its sunny tomorrow I'll try and get a good photo, it has been tipping it down today!

The pond is 2.5m wide and the bit in the patio is 2.5m the section out from the patio is 5m long (garden is about 50m from house to the trees at the very back. There were female Emperor & Hawker dragonflies flitting about but I couldn't capture them on my phone, I need to get a camera! The dragonfly photo is of a male common darter which was defending it's territory from all comers!
20240809_110304 - Copy.jpg
20240809_110316 - Copy.jpg

20240809_110342 - Copy.jpg
20240809_110402 - Copy.jpg

20240809_110442 - Copy.jpg
20240809_110612 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 108291
Oase is a very good company. I have their BioMaster 250 for my showcase aquarium, and it has been going for several years with very little maintenance.

The pond is 2.5m wide and the bit in the patio is 2.5m the section out from the patio is 5m long (garden is about 50m from house to the trees at the very back. There were female Emperor & Hawker dragonflies flitting about but I couldn't capture them on my phone, I need to get a camera! The dragonfly photo is of a male common darter which was defending it's territory from all comers!
View attachment 108311 View attachment 108312

View attachment 108313 View attachment 108314

View attachment 108315

View attachment 108316

Wow! That's super beautiful. I've never seen a back yard pool with a terraced design like that. I think 'm seeing it right. You must have a really nice place over all.

What is the vertical pipe between the window & bird house for?

Back