TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like it might be another good one.

Preview - Ken Burns' DAVINCI
(* looks like around Nov. 18th-19th on your PBS stations/streams)

Nonesuch score...

https://carolineshaw.lnk.to/LeonardoDaVinci

@humprof -attn: 👀

I'm a big fan of Caroline Shaw's music, for sure; thanks, Pup. Nonesuch has given at least one of her recent albums (ˆLet the Soil Play Its Simple Part) an excellent mix, by Matt Poirier, although another one (Evergreen) was briefly caught up in the WEA Schmatmos scandal that got a few of us so exercised a couple of years ago. A little hard to tell from the two short preview tracks that they've released so far, but it sounds like the soundtrack album will be one of the good ones!

Last edited:
I went to see ALIEN: ROMULUS in the local theater yesterday, and the big screen no longer compensated for the low projector light and thus lousy overall resolution of the picture. My TV now does better than that. Granted, they had a more powerful sound system!

Theaters -- at least local ones, I saw a fantastic overall picture / sound in Edinburgh spring before last! -- better up their game again.
And to think I had the complete “Alien” series.

So how was the movie?

And to think I had the complete “Alien” series.

So how was the movie?
It was ok, sort of throws you into a very depressing work / live situation that the characters obviously want to escape, and takes a while to get to the real, um would "meat" be an advisable word to use here?, of the story. It sort of takes the best bits of the first four movies and shuffles them around a bit, maybe a bit too much, as you can guess what's coming next. Again, I look forward to seeing it at home, as it has some stunning visuals.

An outstanding 8 part mini series now streaming on HULU

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/we-were-the-lucky-ones-tv-review-2024

We-Were-the-Lucky-Ones-jpg.webp

I agree, it's only part of the overall story also. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the cinematography (framing, composition, camera angles, overall look of the film, etc.) just seemed to have a little too modern look for me.
I'd have to watch it again to reflect on your comments about the cinematography, but I don't recall feeling the same way during my one viewing. Could it have been better? Sure, and like 4-earredwonder, I was not a fan of the montage at the end that was essentially a preview of the next parts. Overall, though, I found it to be a mostly serviceable western.

I'd have to watch it again to reflect on your comments about the cinematography, but I don't recall feeling the same way during my one viewing. Could it have been better? Sure, and like 4-earredwonder, I was not a fan of the montage at the end that was essentially a preview of the next parts. Overall, though, I found it to be a mostly serviceable western.
Yeah, I agree about the preview montage, just seemed out of place.

Trouble in Paradise people!

I watch a lot of programming through our AT&T U-verse service and have a pretty wide ranging package of channels to chose from. However, there is a dispute in carriage fees between them (DirecTV) and Disney for contract (since Sept 1st.) The presidential debate was no big deal, as almost all the networks showed it. But, last night I was blacked out of watching the season premiere of "The Old Man" on FX and that really burns my ass!

Here are some of the channels affecting me with this dispute/blackout:

All of the FX channels, all the National Geographic channels, all of associated Disney channels, all of the ESPN channels.

Don't know if anyone else here has DirecTV or U-verse, but this is some real bullshit. And they think by comping us a measly $20-$30 will be satisfactory for all these missing programs, well, not in my book. There are a lot of shows that I watch that stream on these channels, so I am not a happy camper. However I also pay for the Disney channel on Apple TV and can catch some things there (and a fair amount of concern here for channel overlap also, creating a need to now reassess my U-verse bundle options.)

some more info, and of course you can do your own research on-line for additional info-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-directv-debate-kamala-harris-donald-trump-blackout/

Seems the streaming networks are finally getting their golden goose- having their cake and eating it too. They get you to pay for the streaming service "with ads that can't be fast forwarded" and also get a big revenue stream from those ads; all the while not allowing bundling (like in the old cable TV days) and dwindling quality programing that's been going on in the big three TV networks of ABC, CBS and NBC. However, there is a lot of shake-outs and merging that I believe will happen in the next few years; as all these streamers fight for that all mighty life sustaining revenue stream, fund quality programming that folks want, and keep their share holders happy.

BTW, have you seen how many Emmy nominations (25) Shogun (a quality show) has received (and on FX)

Last edited:
Do you know if there are more series of Shogun planned?

IMHO its one of the best things on TV, across all channels - I have Sky (UK satellite) with Netflix & Disney+ & the usual terrestrial channels, which now often just show repeats!

Seems the streaming networks are finally getting their golden goose- having their cake and eating it too. They get you to pay for the streaming service "with ads that can't be fast forwarded" and also get a big revenue stream from those ads; all the while not allowing bundling (like in the old cable TV days) and dwindling quality programing that's been going on in the big three TV networks of ABC, CBS and NBC. However, there is a lot of shake-outs and merging that I believe will happen in the next few years; as all these streamers fight for that all mighty life sustaining revenue stream, fund quality programming that folks want, and keep their share holders happy.

BTW, have you seen how many Emmy nominations (25) Shogun (a quality show) has received (and on FX)
I feel your pain, JP. I've had Verizon FIOS for years and when I installed my boudoir LG OLED TV the apps allowed me to sign up for NETFLIX, Amazon Prime and the Disney package which consisted of ESPN, DISNEY and HULU.

Problem is when I recently installed my SONY Projector I had to add APPLE TV+ to the mix to allow me to access PRIME, DISNEY and of course APPLE but NOT including NETFLIX which I soon found out can be accessed in 1080p ONLY via my FIOS cable box ... not 4K! And now when I try to access NETFLIX it gets interrupted advising me to disengage my cable box and TV and that should solve the issue which is absolute BS!

I understand APPLE is going to introduce a newer model and I wish they'd include NETFLIX in 4K instead of having to depend on the FIOS box for 1080p video and constant 'messaging' to disengage the box/TV .... something that never happens via my LG OLED TV 'apps!'

As far as DIRECT TV ...had that in my summer house and every time it got cloudy I lost the signal. Now thankfully, it's land based and threatening weather is no longer an issue.

As far as ads on Amazon Prime ...yeah, for $3 per month you can eliminate those pesky ads except when choosing FREEVEE which depends on ads for content. As far as ads on Network TV most especially CNN and even Jimmy Kimmel LIVE .... they're interminable ..... 4 minutes of news and/or content and then 5~6 minutes of ads ....... YUK!

So it seems, JP, the BEST things in life are ANYTHING BUT FREE!

Back