TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain, JP. I've had Verizon FIOS for years and when I installed my boudoir LG OLED TV the apps allowed me to sign up for NETFLIX, Amazon Prime and the Disney package which consisted of ESPN, DISNEY and HULU.

Problem is when I recently installed my SONY Projector I had to add APPLE TV+ to the mix to allow me to access PRIME, DISNEY and of course APPLE but NOT including NETFLIX which I soon found out can be accessed in 1080p ONLY via my FIOS cable box ... not 4K! And now when I try to access NETFLIX it gets interrupted advising me to disengage my cable box and TV and that should solve the issue which is absolute BS!

I understand APPLE is going to introduce a newer model and I wish they'd include NETFLIX in 4K instead of having to depend on the FIOS box for 1080p video and constant 'messaging' to disengage the box/TV .... something that never happens via my LG OLED TV 'apps!'

As far as DIRECT TV ...had that in my summer house and every time it got cloudy I lost the signal. Now thankfully, it's land based and threatening weather is no longer an issue.

As far as ads on Amazon Prime ...yeah, for $3 per month you can eliminate those pesky ads except when choosing FREEVEE which depends on ads for content. As far as ads on Network TV most especially CNN and even Jimmy Kimmel LIVE .... they're interminable ..... 4 minutes of news and/or content and then 5~6 minutes of ads ....... YUK!

So it seems, JP, the BEST things in life are ANYTHING BUT FREE!
yeah, it's become quite the 'Old Spaghetti Factory' (mizithra please) of choices via: streaming devices, streamer/content providers, channels, ad options, carrot dangling free trial periods, overlapping services, and just too many choices/decisions and confusion; something's gotta give!

yeah, it's become quite the 'Old Spaghetti Factory' (mizithra please) of choices via: streaming devices, streamer/content providers, channels, ad options, carrot dangling free trial periods, overlapping services, and just too many choices/decisions and confusion; something's gotta give!
NOT to mention, my HUGE PILE of UHD4K movies has been sadly ignored due to all the available streaming content! PRIME, especially, has a LOT of really good B movie content, a lot of which probably went straight to video and had no exposure to a bona fide movie screening .... LOTS of foreign imports with subtitles that are actually quite good. And the picture/sound is also excellent! Sometimes get fed up with 'series' that go on for 5~ 8 seasons because that would really require extreme dedication. And who has the time ???????

I grew up in the '50's when we had three basic B&W channels to choose from and NOW ...... when is a GOOD thing NOT a good thing any more ...Answer: When the SKY'S THE LIMIT!

NOT to mention, my HUGE PILE of UHD4K movies has been sadly ignored due to all the available streaming content! PRIME, especially, has a LOT of really good B movie content, a lot of which probably went straight to video and had no exposure to a bona fide movie screening .... LOTS of foreign imports with subtitles that are actually quite good. And the picture/sound is also excellent! Sometimes get fed up with 'series' that go on for 5~ 8 seasons because that would really require extreme dedication. And who has the time ???????

I grew up in the '50's when we had three basic B&W channels to choose from and NOW ...... when is a GOOD thing NOT a good thing any more ...Answer: When the SKY'S THE LIMIT!
I prefer Netflix for most stuff, they have much of the free content I like, at least how I see it; as Amazon seems to throw a lot more of "for Pay or Rent" content in front of you just to see what might stick. 😩😒

Trouble in Paradise people!

I watch a lot of programming through our AT&T U-verse service and have a pretty wide ranging package of channels to chose from. However, there is a dispute in carriage fees between them (DirecTV) and Disney for contract (since Sept 1st.) The presidential debate was no big deal, as almost all the networks showed it. But, last night I was blacked out of watching the season premiere of "The Old Man" on FX and that really burns my ass!

Here are some of the channels affecting me with this dispute/blackout:

All of the FX channels, all the National Geographic channels, all of associated Disney channels, all of the ESPN channels.

Don't know if anyone else here has DirecTV or U-verse, but this is some real bullshit. And they think by comping us a measly $20-$30 will be satisfactory for all these missing programs, well, not in my book. There are a lot of shows that I watch that stream on these channels, so I am not a happy camper. However I also pay for the Disney channel on Apple TV and can catch some things there (and a fair amount of concern here for channel overlap also, creating a need to now reassess my U-verse bundle options.)

some more info, and of course you can do your own research on-line for additional info-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-directv-debate-kamala-harris-donald-trump-blackout/
I have Youtube TV, as well as several streaming networks. For FX shows, I usually wait until the next day to watch them with Hulu on Disney because they are usually in 4K with Dolby Vision. The shows that I watch on Youtube TV are dwindling to news, sports and other programs I can't access on the streaming networks.

Well, when you consider the price of a movie ticket is going North of almost $20 not to mention popcorn, candy and soft drinks .... the monthly charge most streaming services charge is really not that excessive ...... but if you start buying in to lets say Paramount+, AMC+ and all those Network ancillary channels it does get a bit RIDICULOUS!

A 'scant' few years ago we complained at QQ Forum that there weren't enough surround physical discs being released and NOW ... I, personally, cannot keep up with the GLUT and have even put a kibosh on what to buy and what to do without! Not to mention, I've run out of storage space .....YEARS AGO!

Well, when you consider the price of a movie ticket is going North of almost $20 not to mention popcorn, candy and soft drinks .... the monthly charge most streaming services charge is really not that excessive ...... but if you start buying in to lets say Paramount+, AMC+ and all those Network ancillary channels it does get a bit RIDICULOUS!

A 'scant' few years ago we complained at QQ Forum that there weren't enough surround physical discs being released and NOW ... I, personally, cannot keep up with the GLUT and have even put a kibosh on what to buy and what to do without! Not to mention, I've run out of storage space .....YEARS AGO!
yup, and my Duncanesque pile of unopened surround/Quad titles grows every day, an awwwwful problem to have 😁 - along with TV time, all fighting for my extremely valuable retired discretionary time (home chores 'n honey-dues, what's that?) NUTS!

Trouble in Paradise people!

I watch a lot of programming through our AT&T U-verse service and have a pretty wide ranging package of channels to chose from. However, there is a dispute in carriage fees between them (DirecTV) and Disney for contract (since Sept 1st.) The presidential debate was no big deal, as almost all the networks showed it. But, last night I was blacked out of watching the season premiere of "The Old Man" on FX and that really burns my ass!

Here are some of the channels affecting me with this dispute/blackout:

All of the FX channels, all the National Geographic channels, all of associated Disney channels, all of the ESPN channels.

Don't know if anyone else here has DirecTV or U-verse, but this is some real bullshit. And they think by comping us a measly $20-$30 will be satisfactory for all these missing programs, well, not in my book. There are a lot of shows that I watch that stream on these channels, so I am not a happy camper. However I also pay for the Disney channel on Apple TV and can catch some things there (and a fair amount of concern here for channel overlap also, creating a need to now reassess my U-verse bundle options.)

some more info, and of course you can do your own research on-line for additional info-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-directv-debate-kamala-harris-donald-trump-blackout/
Seems they just swapped spit on a deal. Looks like there may be some channel changes coming though, :unsure: !

https://www.reuters.com/business/me...ogramming-11-million-satellite-tv-2024-09-14/

Back