UGoos AM6B+ - End-Game 4K Media Streamer (for me anyway, and anyone who cares about Dolby Vision playback)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Since 2018 I've been playing back all my ripped media (audio and video) through a 7th Gen NUC (7i5BNH) and while I've been pretty happy with it, there have been some persistent (unsolvable) issues that have had me keeping one eye open for a new playback solution. I detailed some of my journey with this box partly in a thread here - I started out with Linux Mint but begrudgingly ended up purchasing a copy of Windows 10 for a couple of reasons - one being that at the time Linux didn't support HDMI passthrough for Kodi, and secondly the only way to do the firmware upgrade to the HDMI port to enable Atmos passthrough was a Windows-based utility.

The 7th Gen NUC boxes were the first ones to support the minimum HDMI and HDCP specs (I can't remember now, but I think it was HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2) required for HDR10 video and Dolby Atmos, but being "bleeding edge" relatively speaking at the time, it was kind of a MacGyver-ed solution, using some kind of DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for the output, and it never worked right for me. I don't think my setup is particularly exotic - NUC into an Onkyo 5.1.2 AVR connected to a Sony X900H (X90H), but it was plagued with intermittent video dropouts where the components would all lose HDMI sync: the TV would go black and the AVR front panel where it shows the speaker layout and signal type would disappear and then momentarily reappear. And then when Atmos came along, I started to get similar dropouts of just audio, which really drove me to the breaking point. I'm a tinkerer of moderate intelligence, and I feel like normally with enough Google search engine kung-fu and some elbow grease you can almost always find someone who's had the same problem as you and successfully solved it, but with this issue there was no remedy - in fact the more recent Intel graphics driver updates made the problem worse, not better, so I reluctantly admitted defeat.

So for the last year or so I've been looking for some kind of replacement, but nothing really fit the bill. What I wanted was sort of a unicorn: something that didn't cost a lot of money but which also played back all of my media at full quality, and in particular on the video side I wanted support for Dolby Vision playback because my TV supports it, and a lot of my ripped Blu-Rays are encoded with it. Getting another NUC was a non-starter on both counts: Dolby doesn't license DV playback support to computers (more on this in a moment) and thanks to the current economic climate buying a new NUC that was any kind of upgrade on my 2018 model would've busted the budget of this poor turd miner.

The closest to something satisfactory I found was the NVidia Shield Pro, but again I had misgivings. One was that despite the fact it's a relatively "old" device now (dating from 2019) they still want $260 Canadian for it, and it felt like if I bought one, the karma gods would have NVidia finally announce a new 2024 model the month after I bought one. The other reason is that while the Shield Pro supports Dolby Vision playback, it doesn't support it fully - with DV there are various flavours of it or "profiles" as they're called, and the Shield supports output of the lower-quality ones (which they call MEL or 'minimum enhancement layer') found on streaming services (primarily 5, 6 and 8) but not Profile 7 (or FEL 'Full Enhancement Layer') which is the kind found on Blu-Rays, and the kind that I wanted output support for. Think of the MEL profiles as the visual equivalent of Dolby Digital Plus, and P7 FEL as the visual equivalent of TrueHD.

The Shield Pro was the closest to "satisfactory" but never enough for me to pull the trigger, and I'm glad I didn't because a few months back I became aware of the UGoos AM6B+.

1724820342639.png

On paper (and physically) it looks like every other Android streaming box, but there's one difference: some enterprising individuals somehow got their hands on the Dolby Vision processing kernel (the bit of software code required to make a box output Dolby Vision) and as a result this box - and a couple of others that use the same chipset, neither of which are made any more - can output all of the DV variants, including the fabled Profile 7 FEL found on DV Blu-Rays.

This makes the AM6B+ (and the other boxes that use the Amlogic S922X-J chipset) unicorns, because older chipsets don't allow for DV playback and the loophole has been closed (or at least not discovered) in newer ones. It's a lot like how the chipsets in the Oppo 103/105 (and similar) opened up the world of SACD ripping that Sony was working so tightly to control - Dolby tries to do the same thing, making the only possible way (before this development) to achieve Dolby Vision playback either through a Blu-Ray player for physical media, or an app on an approved Android or iOS device. For people who want full freedom to enjoy playback of their ripped and downloaded Dolby Vision media, the AM6B+ is the first time that this end goal is achievable.

The developers of CoreElec, which is an offshoot of Kodi that takes it and puts it on top of a minimal Linux installation (so minimal that it's basically invisible, you turn your box on and you're in Kodi) have created a version that takes full advantage of the AM6B+'s Dolby Vision capabilities, and after having used it for the last couple of months I couldn't be happier. In a nutshell, you install CoreElec from a USB stick and it replaces Android as the operating system for the box - you can set it up to dual boot if you want to switch between CoreElec and Android, which I've done but I haven't needed or wanted to use Android for anything. The integration between hardware and software is so tight and seamless that it feels like you're using a native hardware playback unit - in fact the menu browsing and file loading (across a gigabit ethernet connection to a NAS in another room) is so snappy it makes using my actual cable box feel sluggish by comparison. This extends to browsing my media library too - I'm a lifetime "mouse and keyboard" guy and worried that switching to a remote would make it feel like I didn't have 'full control' over my library, that it would take forever to navigate to artists buried in the middle of the alphabet, but in fact the opposite was true. I was able to set up my Logitech Harmony universal remote to control CoreElec (so I didn't even need to use the supplied remote) and scrolling through pages of artists and albums is even faster than it was with a keyboard, and all the Harmony buttons are perfectly mapped so controls like play/pause/ffwd/rew/skip track forward/back/previous menu and others (many of which aren't on my wireless media keyboard) all work. I actually feel more in control of my media library now, and I've listened to more music as the result of being able to whizz through it even more quickly and easily than ever before.

I haven't found a file type or format thusfar that CoreElec on the AM6B+ won't play: on the audio side that includes 1.0, 2.0, 4.0/4.1 (both of which map correctly), 5.0 and 5.1 FLACs, 2.0, 5.0 and 5.1 DSD .dsf, and both Dolby Digital+ and TrueHD Atmos .m4a and .mka (with no dropouts), and on the video side (most of which is .mkv) everything from regular HD to 4K HDR10 and yes, Dolby Vision Profile 7 FEL all plays back perfectly without a hitch (and CoreElec changes output framerate to match the framerate of the media), and all of the bitstreamed audio from plain old Dolby Digital and DTS up to TrueHD Atmos and DTS X plays as it should.

Maybe the best part is how affordable this box is - I got mine from this store on AliExpress for $193 Canadian (about $140 USD or £105GBP) - the price is currently a little higher but if you're patient, AliExpress regularly has sales and promotions where they post discount codes that work with everything on the site. In my case, they had one this summer that was something like $25 off orders of $190 or higher. You can find these in other places including from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, you pay a premium for the convenience, and with how easy AliExpress is to use, why give any extra money to someone who is effectively an Amazon scalper? While I was a little bit apprehensive about ordering from China as I'd never bought anything from Aliexpress, the process was simple and easy. They accept PayPal so I didn't have to share my credit card details with anyone, and shipping updates including a tracking number were sent to my email address. Within a couple of weeks, the box was sitting on my front doorstep and I didn't even get dinged for any customs or import charges.

I know this may be of somewhat limited interest here given that we're obviously surround and/or music focused, but if you're looking for a "does it all" media streamer like this, or want an option that's as future-proof as these things can be, you can't really go wrong with this box. The price is right, and since it only does one thing (Kodi) if you screw something up you can just wipe it and start over again.

This is the Reddit thread I used to set mine up, which has installation instructions and then also recommended settings at the end:

And this is the original thread (also with instructions) on the CoreElec developers forum:

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/guide-s922x-j-ugoos-am6b-coreelec-installation-and-faqs/51231

Searching QQ I see that it looks like @ted_b has one of these, maybe he could chime in with his thoughts and experiences, and I'm tagging @HomerJAU QQ's Patron Saint of media playback because I think he might have an interest in this too.

Thanks Dave.

I was going to post about this. I have two Ugoo AM6B Plus now after success with my first ‘test’ box. I bought them to watch my growing DolbyVision movie collection.

With CoreElec installed on the internal eMMC card this is quite fast for library navigation from my two NAS servers. Certainly passes the speed test.

Edit: BTW: In my Dolby Vision quest I read that all 4K Oppo players do not play DV correctly (no fix is coming as no more firmware updates)

Last edited:
Edit: BTW: In my Dolby Vision quest I read that all 4K Oppo players do not play DV correctly (no fix is coming as no more firmware updates)
Ouch.

I watched the recent 4k/DV of Paint Your Wagon a while back on my UDP-203 and at some point DV (I assume) darkened the image...and never properly reset it. I watched for several minutes thinking "This can't be right!" and finally stopped and re-started the movie, after which it was perfectly fine until the end. I wasn't sure which component to blame, but it sounds like maybe it was the Oppo. Dammit. At least I haven't (so far) seen that happen with any other disc.

Last edited:
The closest to something satisfactory I found was the NVidia Shield Pro, but again I had misgivings. One was that despite the fact it's a relatively "old" device now (dating from 2019) they still want $260 Canadian for it, and it felt like if I bought one, the karma gods would have NVidia finally announce a new 2024 model the month after I bought one.
I have one and like it well enough, though mostly it gets used for ad-free YouTube via the SmartTube app. (Sorry, content creators: I would LOVE to support you, but Goo-hole just places WAY TOO MANY ads WAY TOO FREQUENTLY these days and it's unwatchable.)

I didn't realize that it had Dolby Vision deficiencies, but I learned very, very quickly that it's yet another box that has no clue what to do with 4.0 or even 5.0 FLAC. Everything has to be padded to 5.1 or you only get sound out of the front left and right speakers.

Great to read more media player threads on QQ. I have a questions:

Does this Ugoos play 2.0/4.0/5.0/5.1 WAV/FLAC/DSF gaplessly?

Also, from what I've read about Dolby Vision FEL, many boxes claim to be able to use the FEL but they're not really doing so. Something to do with the RPU - I can't really remember all the ins and outs of it. Plus, there are allegedly no screens that can display the additional colour info in the FEL so even if something was able to read it, displaying it and therefore perceiving it ain't gon' happen. I don't wanna derail this thread with a bunch of DV hoo-haa but this is just what I understand so... for what it's worth.

I currently have a Zidoo Z9X which is fine but won't play everything gaplessly so have been looking at the latest 8K Zidoo's and Dune's but they all seem to have gone backwards in terms of handling music.

Looks interesting. I've heard that it can't properly do 4K for streaming content though. So, you might still need a box for streaming services (or just use your TV).

Does this Ugoos play 2.0/4.0/5.0/5.1 WAV/FLAC/DSF gaplessly?

Yes, to all, at least for FLAC and DSF. I didn't test .wav but it should be the same

Since I have multiple copies of Chicago II (hirez stereo, hirez 4.0 quad, 5.1 from DVD-A and the MoFi stereo SACD) I tested the transition between track 7 (So Much to Say, So Much to Give) and Track 8 (Anxiety's Moment) and all of them were gapless. For 5.1 .dsf I played The O'Jays Live in London (which is quad, but in a 5.1 container) and the transition between Track 1 (The MC Introducing the band) and Track 2 (Put Your Hands Together) played flawlessly.

Also, from what I've read about Dolby Vision FEL, many boxes claim to be able to use the FEL but they're not really doing so. Something to do with the RPU - I can't really remember all the ins and outs of it. Plus, there are allegedly no screens that can display the additional colour info in the FEL so even if something was able to read it, displaying it and therefore perceiving it ain't gon' happen. I don't wanna derail this thread with a bunch of DV hoo-haa but this is just what I understand so... for what it's worth.

I'm sort of out of my depth with the deepest technical details of Dolby Vision implementation but the AM6b+ does display the full FEL, and that's what makes it unique compared to all other boxes of its ilk before and since. Others either don't do Dolby Vision at all, or sort of part do it, like the NVidia Shield Pro, which from my understanding reads P7 FEL, but outputs the data as Profile 6.1 MEL, which may be what you're alluding to. There's more detailed explanation and proof of full P7 FEL output compliance in the thread on the CoreElec developer forum that I linked to in my first post.

Looks interesting. I've heard that it can't properly do 4K for streaming content though. So, you might still need a box for streaming services (or just use your TV).

That may be the case on the Android side, I dunno - like I said in my first post I only use it (so far, anyway) booted in CoreElec which gives you Kodi (and associated plugins) and nothing else. I would suspect that apps on the Android side would give you full 4K though, but I'm not sure about HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision support. As you suggest I still use either my smart TV functions for apps, or a web browser on my NUC box for certain streaming options, like BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 (UK) streaming.

Yes, to all, at least for FLAC and DSF. I didn't test .wav but it should be the same

Since I have multiple copies of Chicago II (hirez stereo, hirez 4.0 quad, 5.1 from DVD-A and the MoFi stereo SACD) I tested the transition between track 7 (So Much to Say, So Much to Give) and Track 8 (Anxiety's Moment) and all of them were gapless. For 5.1 .dsf I played The O'Jays Live in London (which is quad, but in a 5.1 container) and the transition between Track 1 (The MC Introducing the band) and Track 2 (Put Your Hands Together) played flawlessly.

I'm sort of out of my depth with the deepest technical details of Dolby Vision implementation but the AM6b+ does display the full FEL, and that's what makes it unique compared to all other boxes of its ilk before and since. Others either don't do Dolby Vision at all, or sort of part do it, like the NVidia Shield Pro, which from my understanding reads P7 FEL, but outputs the data as Profile 6.1 MEL, which may be what you're alluding to. There's more detailed explanation and proof of full P7 FEL output compliance in the thread on the CoreElec developer forum that I linked to in my first post.

That may be the case on the Android side, I dunno - like I said in my first post I only use it (so far, anyway) booted in CoreElec which gives you Kodi (and associated plugins) and nothing else. I would suspect that apps on the Android side would give you full 4K though, but I'm not sure about HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision support. As you suggest I still use either my smart TV functions for apps, or a web browser on my NUC box for certain streaming options, like BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 (UK) streaming.
Thanks for the reply and great to hear about the gapless multichannel playback.

One more question: Have you noticed any stuttering when stopping or pausing, then restarting a MKV? The Zidoo Z9X has an intermittent problem where stopping/pausing a movie and then restarting it sometimes causes the image to freeze while the audio continues. Fast-forwarding a bit and then rewinding seems to fix it. As stated, it's intermittent and hard to replicate but it's really annoying when it happens. I've only seen it happen on MKV's with any sort of Dolby Vision layer (MEL or FEL).

FEL contains additional image data than just colour. It can improve video quality too. Some FEL releases contain 25% more data (80% base layer 20% FEL) to enhance the image compared to the base HDR layer (non DV) alone.

Well, I'm intrigued. I currently use a NUC with JRiver for multichannel/Atmos audio playback, but find it a bit cumbersome (not a big fan of having to log in periodically and needing to use a keyboard/mouse), and the display isn't great. Any chance we can get a couple of screenshots in music playback mode?

Thanks for the reply and great to hear about the gapless multichannel playback.

One more question: Have you noticed any stuttering when stopping or pausing, then restarting a MKV? The Zidoo Z9X has an intermittent problem where stopping/pausing a movie and then restarting it sometimes causes the image to freeze while the audio continues. Fast-forwarding a bit and then rewinding seems to fix it. As stated, it's intermittent and hard to replicate but it's really annoying when it happens. I've only seen it happen on MKV's with any sort of Dolby Vision layer (MEL or FEL).

I've only owned this box for a few months so I can't tell you definitively that it doesn't happen (or never happens) but I've never encountered anything like that so far. I don't do a ton of pausing video but I'm sure I've done it a few times in the normal course of viewing, and I would say I'm particularly sensitive to lip-sync issues too, as one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade from my NUC was that it felt like audio and video were sometimes randomly out of sync, and I haven' had that issue with the AM6b+.

Well, I'm intrigued. I currently use a NUC with JRiver for multichannel/Atmos audio playback, but find it a bit cumbersome (not a big fan of having to log in periodically and needing to use a keyboard/mouse), and the display isn't great. Any chance we can get a couple of screenshots in music playback mode?

Have you used Kodi on your NUC? CoreElec is just Kodi effectively turned into an all-in-one media player plus operating system, so if you know or like Kodi, you'll like CoreElec.

If you haven't tried Kodi, install it on your NUC (it's completely free) and add your media library, make sure your audio output settings are good, and have a play. It won't affect your JRiver installation in any way, and if you don't like it you can simply uninstall it. If you do like it you can buy an AM6b+ in full confidence that you'll like the experience, or maybe you'll find that you're happy with Kodi on your NUC, in which case you've found a free solution to your problem - you can also buy a bluetooth or IR remote for your NUC and use it to control Kodi, if you're trying to get away from mouse & keyboard.

Have you used Kodi on your NUC? CoreElec is just Kodi effectively turned into an all-in-one media player plus operating system, so if you know or like Kodi, you'll like CoreElec.

If you haven't tried Kodi, install it on your NUC (it's completely free) and add your media library, make sure your audio output settings are good, and have a play. It won't affect your JRiver installation in any way, and if you don't like it you can simply uninstall it. If you do like it you can buy an AM6b+ in full confidence that you'll like the experience, or maybe you'll find that you're happy with Kodi on your NUC, in which case you've found a free solution to your problem - you can also buy a bluetooth or IR remote for your NUC and use it to control Kodi, if you're trying to get away from mouse & keyboard.
Thanks for this suggestion. I did try Kodi on my main PC where my music library is stored (not the NUC), and was having a really hard time understanding the setup and navigation. I will probably give it a go on the NUC and see where that takes me, I mean what the hey, it's free, worth a shot.

Info on the skin mod here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/displaying-quad-dvda-sacd-dts-logos-in-kodi.26955/

You just need to install Kodi and the skin named 'Aeon Nox Silvo" then copy the customised skin files in the thread above.

You'll need the album covers and disc art but Kodi fetches the artist fan art. Its all based on correct tagging of your files.

I used NUCs for years (Linux based which is free and the NUC boots straight to Kodi ia a few seconds, no Windows bloat). You can buy and use a cheap bluetooth remote control for navigation. I recently started using Ugoos UR02 remote which I now have for all my Kodi boxes. They are under $10 on Aliexpress (I bought 6 of them)

https://ugoos.com/ugoos-bt-remote-control-ur02

Kodi runs on heaps of devices
LibreElec is a Linux distributionincluding Linux and Kodi for Intel NUCs, PC hardware etc (and other devices)
CoreElec is a Linux distribution specialising in AMLogic processors (like used in the Ugoos AM6B+ above)

Thanks for this suggestion. I did try Kodi on my main PC where my music library is stored (not the NUC), and was having a really hard time understanding the setup and navigation. I will probably give it a go on the NUC and see where that takes me, I mean what the hey, it's free, worth a shot.

It is mildly daunting at first, but once you get past the learning curve I feel like the setup and navigation of the program is easy to get to grips with because it's all laid out very logically.

What I would suggest is just install it, and then when you get stuck just post your questions here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...l-music-playback-features-and-hardware.22375/

As a long-running thread there may already be answers to your questions, and the Kodi site also has a great wiki that describes all the functions and features in great detail.

I'm pretty sure getting it functioning doesn't require too many steps: in the setup menu you need to change your output settings to WASAPI and enable passthrough, and then show kodi where your medial library is. Then it should ask you if you want to add the media there to your library, you say yes, it'll spend some minutes scanning all the tag data, and then you can pick what you want to listen to, by artist, album, or whatever other criteria.

Info on the skin mod here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/displaying-quad-dvda-sacd-dts-logos-in-kodi.26955/

You just need to install Kodi and the skin named 'Aeon Nox Silvo" then copy the customised skin files in the thread above.

You'll need the album covers and disc art but Kodi fetches the artist fan art. Its all based on correct tagging of your files.

I used NUCs for years (Linux based which is free and the NUC boots straight to Kodi ia a few seconds, no Windows bloat). You can buy and use a cheap bluetooth remote control for navigation. I recently started using Ugoos UR02 remote which I now have for all my Kodi boxes. They are under $10 on Aliexpress (I bought 6 of them)

https://ugoos.com/ugoos-bt-remote-control-ur02

Kodi runs on heaps of devices
LibreElec is a Linux distributionincluding Linux and Kodi for Intel NUCs, PC hardware etc (and other devices)
CoreElec is a Linux distribution specialising in AMLogic processors (like used in the Ugoos AM6B+ above)

For anyone who has a Logitech Harmony universal remote like me, you can control Kodi on any device with bluetooth (even a NUC) by adding a new device, and entering 'Microsoft' as the manufacturer and 'Kodi' as the model. The Harmony setup will ask you to put the device you want to control in bluetooth pairing mode and two seconds later it's done. My AM6b+ came with one of those UR02 remotes (which is great for a cheapie) but I haven't touched it since I got my Harmony working.

I've only owned this box for a few months so I can't tell you definitively that it doesn't happen (or never happens) but I've never encountered anything like that so far. I don't do a ton of pausing video but I'm sure I've done it a few times in the normal course of viewing, and I would say I'm particularly sensitive to lip-sync issues too, as one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade from my NUC was that it felt like audio and video were sometimes randomly out of sync, and I haven' had that issue with the AM6b+.
That's good to hear. I've thought of another bunch of questions! How does it handle subtitles?

1. Are you able to select whatever PGS subtitles that are in the MKV?
2. Do forced subtitles behave like they do when spinning the disc on BD/4K player?
3. Are you able to move the subtitles (I always move them as far to the bottom of the screen as I can so they're covering as little of the image as possible)?

Thanks!

Back