Steven Wilson Ultravox Lament remix forthcoming! (SDE-exclusive Blu-Ray & 7CD/DVD Deluxe Edition)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still may pull the trigger on the Quartet set because after all this time, I'm doubtful SDE or anyone else will put out standalone blu-rays for these earlier titles. Vienna is a remote possibility, but only because it sold more than 3 times what the other titles did. I think all of the Ultravox super deluxe sets are still widely available at the same or slightly more than the original prices which tells me they didn't sell like gangbusters.

Also, I think Paul Sinclair at SDE is more interested in offering a variety of artists rather than multiple titles by the same one. So far, I think only Tears For Fears and Wham! of all things :rolleyes: have gotten 2 titles in the series.

I still may pull the trigger on the Quartet set because after all this time, I'm doubtful SDE or anyone else will put out standalone blu-rays for these earlier titles. Vienna is a remote possibility, but only because it sold more than 3 times what the other titles did. I think all of the Ultravox super deluxe sets are still widely available at the same or slightly more than the original prices which tells me they didn't sell like gangbusters.

Also, I think Paul Sinclair at SDE is more interested in offering a variety of artists rather than multiple titles by the same one. So far, I think only Tears For Fears and Wham! of all things :rolleyes: have gotten 2 titles in the series.
I’m still hopeful of blu-rays for the earlier titles if Lament sells well. The prep done for the existing 5.1 mixes would surely make this easier?
Maybe there are others less interested in the live tracks or over-sized packaging of the full deluxe sets.
Agree SDE have done a great job presenting a wide range of artists. Four from ‘the Vox’ seems unlikely, but I wouldn’t rule anything out if SDE get the opportunity!

But it might still have been a profitable exercise even with plenty of unsold stock. I don't know the economics of these things.
For the stand-alone blu-ray the decision should be simpler.
What will it cost to prep the audio ? (partly done already - maybe - for the existing 5.1 and its not like putting a band in the studio for months)
Packaging ? (adaptation of the artwork from the existing SDE)
How many copies of Lament blu-ray sold? (earlier albums should sell more)

Are any of the three previous box sets OOP?

With Amazon's Prime Day coming up in a few weeks, you might hold up and see if any of them go on sale during the event.

I got the first three on Amazon in May:

Vienna: US$48.13 (currently $59.73)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D4Y27X3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rage in Eden: US$61.88 (currently $51.88) Guess I bought this one too early...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B57M2FFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quartet: US$61.70 (currently $61.99)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXB97V94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI - With a sale and a coupon I was able to get the Quartet box set for $50.88 from DeepDiscount, including shipping. Still a bit pricier than I wanted, but shows that pretty good deals can be had for these sets if you look for them. Unfortunately, it seems that locking a surround disc in an expensive, bloated box set is still a far too common practice.

Desperately trying to resist the box sets and this isn't helping 😠 ! :LOL:
If they do go cheaper my resolve will collapse.

Back