Van Halen Mobile Fidelity SACDs now available for pre-orders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should see their customer review rating on Amazon. It’s only 81%. I’ve never had to speak to someone at Music Direct before and I’ve ordered plenty of items since their early days as a business. A few months ago, I called with a question and the woman that I spoke with was disengaged and a bit rude, like she didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t an experience I’d want to repeat with that company again.

I‘ve placed many orders through Acoustic Sounds too but never had to call them with any questions or problems. Though, I hear that their Customer Service is good.
For the record, I called Acoustic Sounds for a different reason and near the end of the conversation, I decided to ask about VH1. I did not call looking for my order, just curious.

A good lesson learned from MoFi's VH SACD series which was announced well over a year ago ..... DO NOT PRE~ORDER FROM MoFi DIRECT .... unless you want to risk not only disappointment but paying exhorbitant s/h fees [and local tax] on top of a $35 charge for what amounts to a Stereo SACD and in the case of VH1 doesn't even include a booklet of liner notes [geez!]

Now we can fully appreciate Dutton Vocalion which only announce new QUAD/STEREO SACD titles when they're FULLY IN STOCK and ready for shipment.

And Acoustic Sounds has also been guilty of this practice of announcing Stereo SACD titles well in advance of actual s/h status!

You can call me a cheapskate [which I assure you, I'm NOT] but I will await ImportCD to list these titles at their discounted prices and for one of their rare 10% off sales and then pull the trigger! As if I don't have enough music [and 4K movies] in my crazy massive collection to keep me occupied until that time.

Yeah, I should have also said that. Seemed there was a small window at mofi to order, then soon after it showed out of stock. I just lucked out, in this case.
Turns out I ordered SO long ago, that the credit card I used at the time expired!!!
Of course…it took me emailing & calling to find this out 😡

Last edited:
My Van Halen One-Step and SACD arrived yesterday.

Here are my numbers:

One-Step: 003730
SACD: 000344

There must be a lot of people ordering this first Van Halen record out of curiosity.

Since my numbers aren’t very low (well, they kind of are from how many they plan to release) from early ordering via MoFi, I’ll probably use Music Direct from now on to save on shipping costs. Besides, I really don’t care about the numbers anyway.

In this same vein, I contacted Acoustic Sounds to find out if they had any idea when they
would release/ship backordered/unreleased Steely Dan and Joni Mitchell Hybrid SACD's.

1 CAPP 137 SA Steely Dan / Katy Lied
Hybrid Stereo SACD $ 35.00 $ 35.00 B
1 CAPP 138 SA Steely Dan / The Royal Scam
Hybrid Stereo SACD $ 35.00 $ 35.00 B
1 CMOB 2269 SA Joni Mitchell / Blue
Hybrid Stereo SACD $ 29.98 $ 29.98 B
1 CMOB 2267 SA Joni Mitchell / Ladies Of The Canyon
Hybrid Stereo SACD $ 29.98 $ 29.98 B

Acoustic Sounds
9:45 AM (5 hours ago) Dec 12, 2023
to me

Hi Eric,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we don't have release dates
for any of these titles at this time. Each title will ship as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks,

Matt, Customer Service

Here are my numbers:

There must be a lot of people ordering this first Van Halen record out of curiosity.

Since my numbers aren’t very low (well, they kind of are from how many they plan to release) from early ordering via MoFi, I’ll probably use Music Direct from now on to save on shipping costs. Besides, I really don’t care about the numbers anyway.
My SACD just arrived and I have number 001527. :)

Here are my numbers:

how many do they plan to release?

I am on the fence on whether to get the VH1 SACD. Can anyone comment on how it sounds? Especially as compared to the 2015 hi-res download tracks, which I find lacking in bottom end on my system. Needs more bass drum thump and deeper bass guitar output. If they improved on that aspect especially, I'm in.

I am on the fence on whether to get the VH1 SACD. Can anyone comment on how it sounds? Especially as compared to the 2015 hi-res download tracks, which I find lacking in bottom end on my system. Needs more bass drum thump and deeper bass guitar output. If they improved on that aspect especially, I'm in.
You know, I didn't have time to give a proper listen to the album last night after it arrived, but I put it in and sampled a minute of each song and came away with a few first impressions;
- It is very "crankable" and can be played at "11" without getting annoying.
- Damn, Eddie's guitar sounds awesome. Maybe the best it's ever sounded on a recording of this album.
- And lastly, I did think the low end was a bit lacking. For me, that isn't as big of an issue as it is for many others, I've never been someone that likes the low end to rattle the walls and blow out the windows.

The original CD’s which were considered best before the 2015 downloads came out even they were bass-shy, especially 1984. Those 2000 Chris Bellman remasters, while very loud, had that punch that the originals were missing. I’m hoping these new SACD’s will give us that ‘punch’ without sacrificing the crankable nature of the original CD’s.

Last edited:
My SACD just arrived and I have number 001527. :)
Thanks Gene, I have been waiting for your number.
You pre-ordered and got 1527. You got yours after I got mine.
I ordered day of release and got 1519.

Not singling you out Gene, love you man, but for others it just proves a point.
Do not pre order from MOFI or Music Direct or from anyone, when it comes to these MOFI releases.
@4-earredwonder certainly agrees with me.

It does seem the Ultra Disc records come with lower numbers.

Do not pre order from MOFI or Music Direct or from anyone, when it comes to these MOFI releases.

finally got mine. pre-ordered the first day that the order window was open.

got number 1193 and had to fight Music Direct to get them to ship my order

I really don't care about what number I get. I do however care about a 2 year pre-order window. I won't pre-order from them again, there's just no point to it. Anything over a year is ridiculous, unless it's something very special and very limited (more like a Go Fund Me deal).

It really is a cluster isn't it? Just like shipping, it makes you wonder what order they pull these things and ship them. No rhyme or reason it seems.

If we’re lucky enough to get the Hagar era from MoFi, I’d pay a lot of extra money to get number 316 of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Back