Van Halen Mobile Fidelity SACDs now available for pre-orders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a comment I would like to share.

After listening last night loud and via the home rig I wished for one thing.
I wished I still had my Kplisch Heresey speakers, this SACD release was begging me to have a real in your face rock speaker.
My stereo fronts, B&W Floor speakers, a bit too bright for this recording, plus other big rock albums.
I have seen pictures of others that have two sets of front stereo speakers, I assume for exactly this reason, one pair for that recording and another for another recording.

Oh boy, I hate thinking about gear, really puts me down the rabbit hole.
I think I love all my speakers, but somehow wonder if I would prefer a different pair up front. The B&W's as good as they are, that little tweeter, solo on top, can be a bit bright.
As my hearing has definite tennitus, brightness is not what I need.

Off topic, but sort of on?

But, because it's spinning faster, that ending dead wax doesn't last very long. And yes, it will continue to spin until you manually lift the arm. Some may have semi-automatic tables. I don't.
Thanks for the answer GOS.
I had a Technics TT back in the day that was semi-automatic and would lift the arm and turn itself off once it got to the end of the album. But that VH1 album (above) look like half the platter is runoff. So in the case of a semi-automatic and assuming half the platter is runoff, it seems like it would take minutes before the arm reached the point where it would trigger the lift mechanism.

1702144221076.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer GOS.
I had a Technics TT back in the day that was semi-automatic and would lift the arm and turn itself off once it got to the end of the album. But that VH1 album (above) look like half the platter is runoff. So in the case of a semi-automatic and assuming half the platter is runoff, it seems like it would take minutes before the arm reached the point where it would trigger the lift mechanism.

View attachment 99180
LOL, no. I have several 45rpm full sized vinyl records with similar and it runs off fast. The "groove" spacing at the end is far wider apart than the actual spacing during the songs.

Mine made it to Urbana last night, still says Tuesday delivery. Considering Urbana is only 25 miles, I'd like to think it will arrive today.

same. I HAD to be one of the very first orders placed. I emailed their Customer Service the other day inquiring why my order has not shipped.
No reply.......shitty Cust Service
No shipment

my life. always the back of the bus. hrumph
I am starting to think I may cancel my Music Direct order & then order from MoFi…🤔
Edit: it’s out of stock at MoFi 😡

Last edited:
Mine was from Music Direct and it's on it's way. Looks like it's in Middletown PA. Delivery supposed to be Wed the 13th.

Ordered Jan 6, 2022 @ 8:43 PM

For those who haven't heard anything, there isn't a chance that the card you used expired? Just a thought.

Yesterday I listened to my SACD loud and today the OneStep. SACD is definitely brighter than the OneStep. Both sound good, however listening to this album again after so many years I’ve decided that most of the songs are rather silly, Atomic Punk in particular, but more of a showcase for Eddie’s command of the guitar and David’s vocals. I noticed a lot of background detail I’ve missed in the past. Still a fun album.
IMG_1479.jpeg

same. I HAD to be one of the very first orders placed. I emailed their Customer Service the other day inquiring why my order has not shipped.
No reply.......shitty Cust Service
No shipment

my life. always the back of the bus. hrumph
You should see their customer review rating on Amazon. It’s only 81%. I’ve never had to speak to someone at Music Direct before and I’ve ordered plenty of items since their early days as a business. A few months ago, I called with a question and the woman that I spoke with was disengaged and a bit rude, like she didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t an experience I’d want to repeat with that company again.

I‘ve placed many orders through Acoustic Sounds too but never had to call them with any questions or problems. Though, I hear that their Customer Service is good.

You should see their customer review rating on Amazon. It’s only 81%. I’ve never had to speak to someone at Music Direct before and I’ve ordered plenty of items since their early days as a business. A few months ago, I called with a question and the woman that I spoke with was disengaged and a bit rude, like she didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t an experience I’d want to repeat with that company again.

I‘ve placed many orders through Acoustic Sounds too but never had to call them with any questions or problems. Though, I hear that their Customer Service is good.
So - with frustration level high, I just called them and actually did get through to a Cust Service agent
My order has not shipped because when I placed my order - which was all the VanHalen SACDs - it qualified for free shipping due to the order dollar amount
Their policy is to ship the order complete when one qualifies for Free Shipping. Long story short, they will be shipping my SACD in the next day or two.
Or so they say

I did not even bother to ask why no one took the time to get back with me on my email cust service inquiry as frustration level was even higher at this point and I prolly would have said some things I should not have.

So - with frustration level high, I just called them and actually did get through to a Cust Service agent
My order has not shipped because when I placed my order - which was all the VanHalen SACDs - it qualified for free shipping due to the order dollar amount
Their policy is to ship the order complete when one qualifies for Free Shipping. Long story short, they will be shipping my SACD in the next day or two.
Or so they say

I did not even bother to ask why no one took the time to get back with me on my email cust service inquiry as frustration level was even higher at this point and I prolly would have said some things I should not have.

This is Music Direct, right Ricky?

I also pre-ordered all 6 VH albums when they first went on sale and all the albums except VH1 are still on pre-order status. Unless there is some other aspect of your order that differed from mine, I call bullshit on that excuse. I definitely got a shipping notice.

This is Music Direct, right Ricky?

I also pre-ordered all 6 VH albums when they first went on sale and all the albums except VH1 are still on pre-order status. Unless there is some other aspect of your order that differed from mine, I call bullshit on that excuse. I definitely got a shipping notice.
yup. Music Direct
and I agree ---I call BS also
lame excuses.
Im not going to order anything from them ever again

Or so they say

It does make one wonder if someone would be treated differently if they had spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with them. Or, a repeat, rinse, repeat customer.

I had a comment I would like to share.

After listening last night loud and via the home rig I wished for one thing.
I wished I still had my Kplisch Heresey speakers, this SACD release was begging me to have a real in your face rock speaker.
My stereo fronts, B&W Floor speakers, a bit too bright for this recording, plus other big rock albums.
I have seen pictures of others that have two sets of front stereo speakers, I assume for exactly this reason, one pair for that recording and another for another recording.

Oh boy, I hate thinking about gear, really puts me down the rabbit hole.
I think I love all my speakers, but somehow wonder if I would prefer a different pair up front. The B&W's as good as they are, that little tweeter, solo on top, can be a bit bright.
As my hearing has definite tennitus, brightness is not what I need.

Off topic, but sort of on?

I've gone back and forth on this. Speakers like Paradigm or B&W that have more of an emphasis on the high end tend bring out detail and air in a recording. But a recording that is poor or has an emphasis here already can be fatiguing on a speaker like this. The other end, speakers that roll off the high seem to suck the air out of a recording and lose detail. Which also tends to impact the soundstage.

My thought is if you like the detail and air the speakers have on most material, there is no shame in using tone controls to tame an errant recording. Speakers that are more laid back may not need it, but in my experience it's not worth sacrificing detail across the board. Using a tone control, you can at least easily get back what you like on recordings that don't have any issues.

Back