WB JAPAN 5.1 SACDs: Up Close

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eagles & Deep Purple are showing ships in 7-11 days. Yes is temporarily out of stock. I ordered eagles on 9th Aug, so hope to get it in 7 days...Also check out marketplace sellers, some of them may soon beat amazon price including shipping.

Well I ordered my copy of Fragile 2 weeks ago with free two-day shipping, and it still says "Delivery estimate: August 25". If it is delayed, they should bring the price down even more.

Well I ordered my copy of Fragile 2 weeks ago with free two-day shipping, and it still says "Delivery estimate: August 25". If it is delayed, they should bring the price down even more.

Did it ship?

Thanks for the pics and info!

I ordered Fragile, Machine Head, and HC Sunday night from Amazon w/ Prime. None of them have shipped. Fragile they have no estimate (and site says it's out of stock). The last two they estimate mid-Sept now.
I emailed them asking if they would for sure be getting more of Fragile... considering just cancelling and buying it from CDJapan or HMV.

It would be nice if Rhino USA noticed how these are selling, and re-juiced their Quadio series, or re-released these titles here as SACDs or DVD-As. I mean, they are currently offering limited edition Monkee's clear vinyl Head LPs, and a Cheap Trick live disc. Comon, they could sell more Quadios than those titles, I'd have to say.

Get on the stick, Rhino. USA! USA! Does all of our good stuff have to come from overseas???

Thanks for the pics and info!

I ordered Fragile, Machine Head, and HC Sunday night from Amazon w/ Prime. None of them have shipped. Fragile they have no estimate (and site says it's out of stock). The last two they estimate mid-Sept now.
I emailed them asking if they would for sure be getting more of Fragile... considering just cancelling and buying it from CDJapan or HMV.

That's odd. All 5 of the first group of Surround Sound SACDs arrived here on Monday morning via FedEx from CD Japan.

Do the math, Rhino. You raise a quick $17,500 on pressing 500 Head albums and 500 45's. Perhaps that translates to $15,000 net profit. It's mindboggling to me that a label would bother with 500 units. At $30 each, selling 2000 of a Quadio title would bring in $60,000. Head might be using old stampers for the LP, so costs might be minimal. The Quadio title may have higher remastering costs for DTS DVD. How much is that, $2000. Even if it were $10,000, that's a quick $50,000 profit, damn near triple the profit of Head.

A record company investing time in a project, albeit mostly readymade, to make perhaps $15,000 in profit is startling. I guess business is that bad. Would they make $15,000 or more by re-releasing DVD-A on SACD or remastering an old CD-4 for Quadio? It seems that all but the labels grasp that money is being left on the table. What about releasing Autobahn, Bachman-Turner, etc on 5.1 SACD or a Quadio-type of 4ch through Hip-O select? What about the hundreds of Quad and SACD titles on Columbia, not to mention projects already mixed that lie unreleased?

Everyone, say it with me, do the math, Rhino!

Linda

It would be nice if Rhino USA noticed how these are selling, and re-juiced their Quadio series, or re-released these titles here as SACDs or DVD-As. I mean, they are currently offering limited edition Monkee's clear vinyl Head LPs, and a Cheap Trick live disc. Comon, they could sell more Quadios than those titles, I'd have to say.

Get on the stick, Rhino. USA! USA! Does all of our good stuff have to come from overseas???

Licensing... here in America where the RIAA & the MPAA run the world, they probably won't allow it without some big royalty... ahem...
excuse me... extortion fees to be paid that doesn't make it worth while to repress.
Yes, glass masters are already made, artwork is already there etc. making for what seems like a cheap press job.
But factor in the $100 or $200 grand they'll want from licensing and you're sunk.
Wasn't it already tried that they wanted a fee for the stereo, a fee for the multi and one for the CD layer on SACDs
as well as one for each track format on the DVD-As?
Not to mention licensing for the copygaurd and watermarking systems and.... ad nausem.
It's a wonder all music isn't illegal by now.

Great scans Jon.

What a great opportunity for the folks that missed the DVD-A's. Reasonably priced too.

All excellent releases originally.

I can't make out the titles on the spines though. :)

Great scans Jon.

What a great opportunity for the folks that missed the DVD-A's. Reasonably priced too.

All excellent releases originally.

I can't make out the titles on the spines though. :)

Agreed. Worth scoring if you don't have the DVD-A editions.

You know, it's funny.

A US Release with a ton of licensing fees could be sold at a very nice profit for around $40, which would make money for everyone.

An import release, with no fees to US companies directly, can be shipped to the US for around $40. And they will probably sell out as they're a limited edition.

Hmmmm? Something is amiss.

"DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT? (C-h-e-e-s-e-a-n-d-o-n-i-o-n-s oh yeah)"

Just checked that my Eagles - Hotel California SACD amazon order status changed to 'Shipping soon'...so most probably it will ship in a day or two.

Actually, Jon, it's "c-h-e-e-s-e-a-n-d-o-n-i-o-n-s oh no"

Linda
"They were pretty rough, but they had something. I think it was the trousers."

You know, it's funny.

A US Release with a ton of licensing fees could be sold at a very nice profit for around $40, which would make money for everyone.

An import release, with no fees to US companies directly, can be shipped to the US for around $40. And they will probably sell out as they're a limited edition.

Hmmmm? Something is amiss.

"DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT? (C-h-e-e-s-e-a-n-d-o-n-i-o-n-s oh yeah)"

Oh YES, I got mine from CDjapan today! Along with the SHM-SACD of "Love over Gold", which I very much recommend in case you guys don't have it. So happy I finally have the Eagles 5.1 mix, and Fragile and Machine head souns great on first listen (didn't get around to give them a full spin yet). Can't even wait for the next batch yet.

Hey, I find it funny that the backs of these SACDs even still feature the dates of the original DVD-A releases - e.g. Machine Head says "1972 & 2001". :)

I am just ripping the Redbook portion of the Machine Head SACD to my PC (for my archive) and was surprised to find that my software, when looking the album up on freedb, recognized it as "25th Anniversary Edition, CD 1" and all tracks as the 1997 remixes. I haven't listened to them yet, and I am not very familiar with the album, so I don't know whether I will be able to identify whether they actually are the 1997 mixes when I listen to them (tonight, after I get home from work). I just found it curious - has anybody else even tried the CD audio layer? Can you guys confirm?

I am just ripping the Redbook portion of the Machine Head SACD to my PC (for my archive) and was surprised to find that my software, when looking the album up on freedb, recognized it as "25th Anniversary Edition, CD 1" and all tracks as the 1997 remixes. I haven't listened to them yet, and I am not very familiar with the album, so I don't know whether I will be able to identify whether they actually are the 1997 mixes when I listen to them (tonight, after I get home from work). I just found it curious - has anybody else even tried the CD audio layer? Can you guys confirm?

That's hilarious. I just ripped the CD layer of the same disc a few nights ago... I'm archiving all my Redbook and some 96/24 .wav files with album art to an external HDD. I'll check mine this weekend.

Back