WB JAPAN 5.1 SACDs: Up Close

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wappinghigh, much thanks for the DSD info. Since I got my BDP-95 I am very excited about the SQ of DSD direct decoding without conversion to PCM.

Back on topic, I ordered Fragile from Amazon yesterday. The delivery estimate is 2 to 4 weeks. So, I'll see, if and when I get it.

wappinghigh, much thanks for the DSD info. Since I got my BDP-95 I am very excited about the SQ of DSD direct decoding without conversion to PCM.

Back on topic, I ordered Fragile from Amazon yesterday. The delivery estimate is 2 to 4 weeks. So, I'll see, if and when I get it.

That's how I have my Oppo BDP-95 set up - SACDs decoded direct to DSD.

My copy of Fragile arrived just before the Thanksgiving holiday. Have not had a chance to listen to it.

Yes, DSD direct decoding is quite demanding of the user in the sense that none of the features in the speaker configuration menu are available, thereby necessitating a number of workarounds and/or compromises. Ultimately, for me it is worth it.

Just got my 3 in: Fleetwood Mac, Donald Fagen & Foreigner 4.
Again, they look just like the DVD's except Foreigner 4... The DVD-A is sliver with the writing etched... on the SACD it's
in color and silk screened on.
I wished they'd done that for Fleetwood Mac (and a few other DVD-As).
The silver writing on a shiny silver disc combined with shitty pressing (US primarily) left some ugly
looking discs!
I went through 6 Fleetwood Mac DVD-As to get a near perfect copy (yes, I said NEAR perfect, and it was sealed!!!!!)
and the one that came close was a German pressing.
Crowded House was that was as well but I got a good one in 2 tries. (sealed!!!)

These SACDs look nice and sound great.
Mind you the DVD-As sound better, but these are the same mixes only on SACD
and for those that can't get or afford the DVD-As, these appear to do nicely.
Now. let's see if there is a third wave.

None announced yet, nor have any SHM-SACDs been announced.
I hope it isn't the end.

Two questions: why would the dvd-a's sound better than these sacd's if they're sourced from the same mixes? Also, are all of you getting these sacd's through amazon jp or cdjapan? I'm trying to find the lowest prices on these, and it's a little difficult given that the translation for many of these sites leaves something to be desired :) Where are you buying your copies?

I get mine from hmv.co.jp, and no, the SACDs sound better. Way better.

You actually think the SACDs sound better than the Hi-Res DVD-Audio?
SACDs are nice but there is an inherent noise shaping factor in SACD that you don't have with DVD-As...
If you A-B the two there is a difference, however slight.
I prefer the DVD-As but if you can't get them, the SACDs do nicely.
Better to pay $35.00 for the SACD than to pay $150 to $200. or more for the DVD-A at this point.
I have both formats.
And I got my SACDs from HMV as well.

My understanding is that these aren't new transfers from the tapes, they're just DVDA-to-DSD encodings. Which is to say, conversions from 96/24 (or 192/24) PCM, to DSD. NB that means that the audio signal already has been bandwidth-limited (at 48 and 96kHz respectively) before it's converted to DSD. And any residual noise introduced from the DSD conversion is moved way out of the human hearing range.

So it's really highly unlikely that they sound different at all, unless your playback devices output PCM and DSD at different levels. More likely, it's all in your mind. The only way to tell otherwise
is to carefully analyze the outputs, or to do a double blind listening test.

Hello guys,

I have ordered three of these titles, already received Fleetwood Mac & The Eagles, waiting for Donald Fagen. Probably a silly question ( because most of you very likely own all ten titles and would recommend buying all ! ) but are there any particular standouts, to buy ?
( it's probably best i listen to some music samples ) That's why i purchased Donald Fagen, i knew more of the songs, than what i realised ! Lookling forward to hearing it !

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I have ordered three of these titles, already received Fleetwood Mac & The Eagles, waiting for Donald Fagen. Probably a silly question ( because most of you very likely own all ten titles and would recommend buying all ! ) but are there any particular standouts, to buy ?
I love the music on Rumours, but still have a feeling it sounds a little flat ! ? Perhaps, that's just me ! ? ( it's probably best i listen to some music samples ) That's why i purchased Donald Fagen, i knew more of the songs, than what i realised ! Lookling forward to hearing it !

I didn't have Foreigner 4 or The Doobie Brothers & got those as SACDS - I had the rest :eek: ...I'd recommend both ... especially the Doobie Brothers... the Elliot Scheiner mix & sonics are reference quality

I've bought them all except Fagen and Ronstadt. No plans for those two.

I wish they'd do some more titles. At least Billion Dollar Babies. How can they skip over that one?

I wish they'd do some more titles. At least Billion Dollar Babies. How can they skip over that one?

The Ronstadt disc isn't anything special. A pass could be in order there.
But I'd say the Fagen is definitely worth grabbing - excellent sonics and surround mix !

I have the Fagen, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Yes & Chicago V.
Didn't get the Deep Purple as I already have the original EU disc
and wasn't too interested in the others.
Would like to see them do Carly Simon - No Secrets, Alice Cooper's Welcome and America - Homecoming.

What I'd really like is for them to issue something that hasn't already been issued before -e.g. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk and the White Album - That would be cool...

I got only 3 of them...eagles, yes & doobies and planning to get fagen & fleetwood mac.
I would love Billion Dollar Babies, that's one of my most wanted at this point and I think I will prefer a New SACD than a 10 year old DVD-A.

What I'd really like is for them to issue something that hasn't already been issued before -e.g. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk and the White Album - That would be cool...

Now THAT would be worthy. We know there's stuff that was ready to come out and is just sitting there.

I have the Fagen, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Yes & Chicago V.
Didn't get the Deep Purple as I already have the original EU disc
and wasn't too interested in the others.
Would like to see them do Carly Simon - No Secrets, Alice Cooper's Welcome and America - Homecoming.

Agreed - the more the merrier !

I didn't have Foreigner 4 or The Doobie Brothers & got those as SACDS - I had the rest :eek: ...I'd recommend both ... especially the Doobie Brothers... the Elliot Scheiner mix & sonics are reference quality

I decided on Foreigner 4. I'm willing to try things, but if the music doesn't appeal, then i wouldn't consider certain titles. ( i've had some nice surprises though, when i've taken a chance on something ! ) Donald Fagen SACD could turn up today. :banana:

I decided on Foreigner 4. I'm willing to try things, but if the music doesn't appeal, then i wouldn't consider certain titles. ( i've had some nice surprises though, when i've taken a chance on something ! ) Donald Fagen SACD could turn up today. :banana:

Foreigner 4 has some classic songs/singles in 5.1 Surround - including "Urgent" with the sax solos by Jr. Walker of Junior Walker & the All Stars !

Back