Which album that I originally recorded should I try to get the chance to revisit?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen W Tayler

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hello dear QQ friends!!

Since I had such an incredible time working on the new versions of those original Howard Jones albums that I worked on I’d be curious to see if any of you might have suggestions for any of the other projects I was originally involved with that might have a chance for a revisit or remix.

I actually have a few that I am completely passionate about and am trying to see what I can do to make them happen again.

As far as I am concerned I really want to honour classic records in respect of so many dear friends and colleagues that have left us recently.

So - any suggestions?

SWTx

I seem to have a fair amount of recognition for my new mixes and reconstructions of quite a few classic albums now, also I have developed a very particular attitude and technique for the remakes and formats - and sometimes the original tapes and parts are not as available as one would hope - so I have all kinds of ways to work with whatever material is available. I just prefer to not disclose what it is exactly that I do, I like to keep the mystery going!!

I know listening formats are always developing and becoming more and more fascinating.... however.....

... as ever, for me it is not all about making great recordings, it is about making great records!!! SWTx

Any chance for the 1st one - Bolin? I'm more of a 70's guy.

If you click on "selected works" (top right menu) it'll take you to a PDF of a lot of Stephen's work (y)

https://www.stephentayler.com/

The two studio albums Tommy Bolin did before he passed away (one for Nemperor, one for Columbia, so Sony should control both of them) would be ripe for the surround treatment, not to mention the fact that they have a built-in audience thanks to Bolin's enduring popularity.

Every time I listen to the song Post Toastee and it gets to that part where the song cuts out and the massed backing vocals go HOOO I always think how good that would sound scaring the crap out of me blasting out of the rear speakers, the same way Teddy Pendergrass' UNH (unh) does in the quad mix of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes' Satisfaction Guaranteed (Or Take Your Love Back).

Tina Turner: both album are a rock staple
Voyage: didn't knew you were into this group, the first two albums are still a constant presence in a disco playlist after all these decades...
You have no idea that I was just listening to the very first Voyage album 'Voyage' - it has a such an early world music connection - and is SO groovy - would make a wonderful surround version!! Let's Dance!!

Last edited:
I would be crazy about doing The Fixx first four albums - I know they have the original multitracks - and I have tried to convince them to do them - so I believe it is all currently about the licensing as we speak - so fingers crossed!! They would be amazing!!!

That's on the top of my list obviously. :)

Back