The Who - Who’s Next SDE series no. 30 (January 17th, 2025)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, . . . this might be the straw that breaks this camel's back. Of course, i ordered. And then i wondered why. And then i thought to myself, "This has to stop." And then i read a daily meditation that centered on simplifying things and eliminating that which is unnecessary. . . . !

The price of this Blu-ray, even if you are only interested in stereo instrumentals, is similar to when you spend that amount on a meal with family or friends from time to time, and we don't think about it as much. The food is gone... but you can listen to the instrumentals several times and enjoy them repeatedly. Then you start thinking "What is more unnecessary?" A meal away from home or a disc that gives me pleasure for my hobby? What a complicated answer... Is it better not to think and act on impulse?

Hmm, . . . this might be the straw that breaks this camel's back. Of course, i ordered. And then i wondered why. And then i thought to myself, "This has to stop." And then i read a daily meditation that centered on simplifying things and eliminating that which is unnecessary. . . . !
As usual Clement we agree on many things.
I am a collector/completist and it does have to stop.
I cannot justify buying this when I already have it in the box. Bummed, because it will be a hole in my SDE collection.
Funny thing about Who's Next box set, I never saw so much talk about an upcoming release on QQ, then once released fell off the face of earth. I have listened two times to the Atmos.
According to my player the last time i played the Atmos was 1/15/24.

I will remember this SDE release as the one that started my downfall, in a goodway.

Can someone please confirm if I understand correctly that the only exclusive audio are the instrumental tracks and the rest appeared on the box set? I have the box and I don't need the Blu-ray just for the instrumentals if that's the only thing there but if they're extra songs otherwise, I might be interested.

The price of this Blu-ray, even if you are only interested in stereo instrumentals, is similar to when you spend that amount on a meal with family or friends from time to time, and we don't think about it as much. The food is gone... but you can listen to the instrumentals several times and enjoy them repeatedly. Then you start thinking "What is more unnecessary?" A meal away from home or a disc that gives me pleasure for my hobby? What a complicated answer... Is it better not to think and act on impulse?
And a lot cheaper than the vinyl equivalent 👍🏻

Bummed, because it will be a hole in my SDE collection.
I hear you. I went through this around #11. Had them all to that point and the collector part of me couldn’t stand the thought of a gap. But I simply had no interest in the title and couldn’t find a way in like instrumental mixes which I can normally enjoy no matter what style of music.

It was so freeing once I got out of the cycle and thinking a hole in my numbering on the shelf was really that important. After you skip one, skipping others is easy.

But I don’t think I fully appreciated until then how hard it is to break that collector mindset with music. I’ve said before that the most brilliant marketing move Paul made with this series was to number the releases.

After not buying a number of them, I now seem to be on a streak of buying recent titles, including this one. And that’s fine because I’m buying just the stuff I know (or pretty sure) I’ll enjoy without any thought to gaps on the shelf.

I had been so close a number of times to pulling the trigger on the box. If Amazon had offered a good discount during Prime Days, I would have it now. Glad that didn’t happen and looking forward to #30.

I hear you. I went through this around #11. Had them all to that point and the collector part of me couldn’t stand the thought of a gap. But I simply had no interest in the title and couldn’t find a way in like instrumental mixes which I can normally enjoy no matter what style of music.

It was so freeing once I got out of the cycle and thinking a hole in my numbering on the shelf was really that important. After you skip one, skipping others is easy.

But I don’t think I fully appreciated until then how hard it is to break that collector mindset with music. I’ve said before that the most brilliant marketing move Paul made with this series was to number the releases.

After not buying a number of them, I now seem to be on a streak of buying recent titles, including this one. And that’s fine because I’m buying just the stuff I know (or pretty sure) I’ll enjoy without any thought to gaps on the shelf.

I had been so close a number of times to pulling the trigger on the box. If Amazon had offered a good discount during Prime Days, I would have it now. Glad that didn’t happen and looking forward to #30.
I'm a keen collector of 'Art of the Movie' books. Like many other collections it becomes a drain of your wallet when there are so many releases and you don't want to miss one.

One release didn't really appeal to me and I thought 'No... I'll leave it'. It was like turning down a drug. Hard at first but incredibly freeing. Now I just buy what I know or think I'll like and it's a great feeling 👍🏻

Although I'm broke and have a few pre-orders outstanding, I couldn't turn this down. Brilliant album and the disc content offers good value for money so I just had to order 😄

I just wish Paul @ SDE would release some crappy stuff to save our wallets for a few weeks. Maybe a 'Jedward Greatest Hits' or 'Best of the Cheeky Girls' so we can all give our bank accounts a break 😉

Ordered (x2) Who’s Next SDE BR. And added the SDE TFF live exclusive as it was available again and I have the other TFF ones plus the Songs from the Big Chair standalone Blu-ray so I couldn’t say no to that.
I didn’t get the big box Who’s Next so this is a no brainer for me to buy. Awesome album and hopefully it’ll be an improvement on my old mca cd.

As the RACE FOR SPACE* continues, unabated, I have to draw a line somewhere as my surround disc collection has exploded exponentially in the last few years! With so many discs to choose from, I think I played WHO'S NEXT from the box set twice and by passing on SDE #30 it won't be much of a disappointment for me!

With RHINO in full swing with their QUAD and ATMOS BD~As and I'm sure Dutton Vocation will chime in ever so soon with more goodies at their usual bargain basement prices, it's no big WHOOP that SDE #30 will pass unnoticed!

*Disc space, that is!

Back