Thompson Twins - Into The Gap blu ray audio #29 in the SDE series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered ….. an iconic 80’s classic and with ALL the bonus stereo tracks and copious codecs included …… like being showered with a mini box set with hi res content instead of lower res RBCDs!
Good point! Think about how a traditional bix set would break this 1 Blu Ray.....1 BR disc, 1 disc for the new stereo remaster.....1 disc for the other new stereo remaster....1 disc for the original stereo mix....1 disc for the instrumentals.....2 discs for the 30 bonus tracks. That's 7 discs easy.....imagine what that price point would be!

There’s a category of 80s music for me that could be referred to as “Never cared for the band, but loved their one song ______.”

Hold Me Now fits into that. I’ve owned it as a digital single for years and I don't get tired of it. Never interested in the band, though, or the other singles that MTV was feeding me.

However, between a great song and instrumental mixes, I’m in.

After a long stretch of not buying anything in the SDE series, I seem to be on a roll recently with this, Thin Lizzy and live TFF.

As for ‘Low Frequency Effects’ Atmos mix paths – the .1 sub speaker element ought to be fed from all the available audio paths and not the LFE mix channel alone – there’s tons of low end on the mixes I’ve delivered (including King Ghost which I mixed), though as they’ve been mostly classic 70’s/80’s tracks in Atmos perhaps not as much as say on a modern hip hop record! I don’t use the LFE mix path much it’s true as there’s already plenty enough low and sub in the mixes and it’s really meant more as a special effect boost if needed (historically more for film explosions / effects etc) and not the sole source of low end audio. Official line from Dolby in fact if you chat with them is if you mix music you probably won’t need the LFE mix path that much and the sub will be fed plenty from the overall mix instead. I do tickle it with bass, kick drums and LF one-off moments but as I say, there’s plenty of sub that ought to be going to the listener and sub speaker, LFE path aside. On Into The Gap Tom said I’d ‘opened the gates’ to allow loads of sub present on the drums for instance into the Atmos mix, which hadn’t made it into the original stereo mixes – vinyl mastering trends in ’84 did a good job of shaving off anything much below 50 or 60 Hz. This won’t show on the Low Frequency Effects channel path display but doesn’t mean the .1 speaker isn’t being used!
True enough... So long as the playback system has bass management enabled (i.e. speakers set to "small"), or at all.

Good point! Think about how a traditional bix set would break this 1 Blu Ray.....1 BR disc, 1 disc for the new stereo remaster.....1 disc for the other new stereo remaster....1 disc for the original stereo mix....1 disc for the instrumentals.....2 discs for the 30 bonus tracks. That's 7 discs easy.....imagine what that price point would be!
Agreed…good point. You might have swayed me with that one.

"The blu-ray is presented in deluxe rigid board packaging, the same as used for Richard Wright's Wet Dream blu-ray last year, and not the usual amaray case. However, this will ship will the usual collectible SDE slipcase and the dimensions are virtually identical!"

Uh oh. This could be an OCD nightmare in the making when put on the shelf with the others. :eek:

I hate to post this here, but it's such an odd thing. So, I have an account/login with SDE shop. Yet, when I try to place an order (while logged in) the only option is to punch in a credit card information. No paypal. If I then click on continue as guest (even though I'm logged in), I get the option to use Paypal.
Go to checkout and ignore the Shop pop-up. Click on "PayPal" logo in yellow box that will be an option with a few others in the background. I got caught in the Shop thing once. Never again.

That price tag, ouch. "The premium packaging and the extremely generous level of content has meant that #29 in the SDE Surround Series has a slightly higher price tag than normal." £29.99 + £8.00 GBP for shipping = $50.75 USD. Going to give this one a pass.
Agree, one of my favorite songs of all time but not for $51. Maybe if all the music was 5.1.
SDE should not include this in the Surround Series but rather a one off. The October 5th deadline is a bad marketing ploy to create tension and motivation to buy. Suddenly SDE is becoming a high pressure pitch company. Maybe bad for future sales. Meanwhile Rhino Records is doing it the right way.

It's pricey but I like the fact there's a ton of bonus mixes on the bluray. They never usually include that level of content so in my opinion it warrants the extra fiver.

One of my favourite albums of all time and David Kosten at the controls was the winning factor for me to place my order.

It's pricey but I like the fact there's a ton of bonus mixes on the bluray. They never usually include that level of content so in my opinion it warrants the extra fiver.

One of my favourite albums of all time and David Kosten at the controls was the winning factor for me to place my order.
Does SDE ever share a discount code like Rhino or cd imports. Highest shipping costs but never cutting the consumer a break.

Instant buy for me.

Just curious... Does anyone else hear the similarity between the verses of "Hold Me Now" and the verses of "Dance Away" by Roxy Music?

Yea, I had to get this one even though it was on the pricey side. BITD, this CD was one of the first 4 discs I picked up to what was at the time my first CD player, along with Huey Lewis & the News (Sports), Cars (Greatest Hits), and Pat Benatar (Crimes of Passion). I still remember my excitement at the time bringing home that first CD player :) !

So it holds a special place for me and was an instant buy for myself.

Jon

Just pre-ordered the title. No wonder physical media is dying, $53 USD for an album with one hit wonder (in my book) released 40 years ago delivery to my house? I'm glad I can afford to buy it but I have a prediction for SDE, if they keep up these prices, tax and shipping charges; their business will fade away fast.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back