The Who - Who’s Next SDE series no. 30 (January 17th, 2025)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an album I must have, and sadly the exchange rate (pounds to usd) is pushing me away from a lot of music purchases. If it shows up elsewhere (eBay or even here in the classifieds in a year) with cheaper shipping and a lower cost to my pocket I'll get it.

It's good for us when they release desirable / 'classic' albums like this, rather than more obscure releases or lesser albums from otherwise great artists. Hopefully it's also good for them and encourages them to seek more of these opportunities.

Hmmm...I could sell my box (paid around $250 I believe) for maybe $175 used but only the blu-ray has been touched so in excellent condition.
Then spend $45 for the SDE version.

Looking at it one way, I'd be spending a net $120 for the SDE version ($45 cost plus $75 loss on the box).

But the box was actually a gift, so in reality I would make $130 by buying the SDE version!

Can both of these logical paths be right?

It was so freeing once I got out of the cycle and thinking a hole in my numbering on the shelf was really that important. After you skip one, skipping others is easy.

But I don’t think I fully appreciated until then how hard it is to break that collector mindset with music. I’ve said before that the most brilliant marketing move Paul made with this series was to number the releases.

I had never noticed they are numbered until I read your message today and looked at my music shelf. Yes, you can laugh at me 🙈

Then I only have #10 and #18, I see, so it's normal I suppose - never looked at them from a collector/completist perspective.

But I understand what you guys are saying because it has happened to me with magazine subscriptions in the past. I went nuts when I missed an issue for some reason, until it happened a couple of times and I learned to live with it.

As I own the big box , pass.
Im glad this is coming out but not worth it to me just to get instrumental remixes. Now if they had found the multitracks for Bargain........

I bought the Lifehouse box set and got it for a good price. I think it is a great box, the books are beautiful and the sound is great. I don't regret buying it at all. While I think it is great that SDE is releasing a stand-alone (for those that didn't buy the box), at this point I can't see paying $40 for stereo instrumental versions of some of the songs.

I haven't bought all the SDE numbered releases and I don't file the SDE discs separately from my other surround titles so "having a hole in the collection" is not a concern for me.

I do appreciate all the good stuff Paul and SDE bring to the market though.

I've only ordered two of the SDE discs before (Ten Years After and Mike Oldfield), can't stand all that 80s pop stuff because I'm a grumpy old boomer who's too fixed in his love of 70s prog. rock and jazz fusion. I'm glad Paul has gone back to some 70s stuff; having now ordered this one, I hope there's more to come...

so, Paul, who's next?

Back